Replay Box Review

elite786

Inactive User
Reaction score
somewhere with my tool set, looking for Action ;)
hi guys the moment youve all been waiting for!

ive got the box up and running, very simple to do!

the box is slighter bigger than eurovox an smaller than the dbox2!

its light even with hard drive its not that heavy, i installed a maxtor 80gig 7200rpm! i know i know the replaybox is optimised for seagates! but im impatient and so i just grabbed the first hard drive that came in my hands!

ok im gonna do a complete rundown of what you do when you get it!

unpack it make sure box is in good condition and if u want to install the hard drive just open the screw on the back. install the rails on the hard drive and mount it inside.

now plug the replaybox to your PC with a Null modem cable and fire the replaybox up. fire up the 'STB link' software and if youve wired up everythng correctly then the software will show that a link has been established. now click 'upgrade firmware' select the 738 file which is the latest at the time of writing this guide. and the box will load similiar to the voxbox the screen will go up in numbers. once finsihed itll show 'Good' thenu just unplug it and connect it to your TV, plug in the cable feed and power up!

when you power it up go to 'Menu' then 'User Installation' then 'Auto Search' then set the following

Start Freq = 131
end Feq = 866
symbol rate 6887 for NTHELL or 6952 for TELEPEST
constellation = 64QAM
search by network = ON

then press 'Search'

Wait for Scan to finish!

Voila u should have all the channels, if u dont not to worry! if the freeview only work and others show 'Scrambled'? u just need to activate the AU. here how to do it.

Go to 'Menu'
Go to 'User Installation'
Go to 'Parental Lock'

Press '7777'

Now u should see a red button at the bottom 'Goto Key Manager' Press 'Red' then 'Exit'

now all the encrypted channels will work now.

Enjoy your REplay Box.

The recording function is just superb! quality is mint! no feezing, EPG WORKS!!! hallelujah! over all its a box definetaly worth buying, but after this ive got to say the Dbox2 will always remain my number1 choice! for some that doesnt watch much TV! if youre looking for a PVR and a box this is the one thats for sure!

Thanks to DataGeeks for sending out my best before everyone else! These boxes are in demand and i had a hard time getting more for Family n Friends who saw the box working today. But i did manage to get some more. If you have any question please feel free to as away.

Regards,
Elite.

p.s. sorry for bad quality pics, taken on a nokia 7610.

Ill try and put a guide together when i get a spare few minutes.

*****the replaybox doesnt feature a ethernet port or any streaming capability to PC(i dont know if it will in future)*****

The Latest image is 742a available in the downloads section!

Last edited:
Just a folllow up on the review, after tinkering with the box im more than happy with it! the sticky picture days are gone! the distorted sound days also gone! and the best bit is u can paude live telly on Cable!!! Who ever is looking to replace the Aging but magnificent Dbox should definetly consider the Replaybox! The picture quality is superb, the pausing live TV and recording and playback from Hard drive works flawless!

any questions please free to post them here!

elite, cheers for your info and pic's mate, good stuff :)

Can you do me a favour and look in the menu for the replay box in the picture settings part and confirm that it has an option for true 16:9 widescreen, if it does, can you please take a picture of that screen and show me it.

Also, if it does have the true 16:9 option, if you have a true widescreen tv, please select this option and tell us if it fits the screen perfectly, no black bands at top or bottom of screen, and no cropping at the sides of screen, best way to check cropping is to look at the adverts and things between tv programmes, they lots of time have words (text) and things on screen, and if the picture gets cropped the words get cropped etc, so you only see parts of words etc at the sides of the screen, iam sure you know what i mean.

And, regarding the hard drive install, when you say "you mount the rails", what do you me exactly by that ? and is the cable's that plug into the hard drive already hooked up in the replay box, just a case of plugging them into hard drive ?? and is the hard drive an IDE hard drive ?

I think thats all my questions for now, lol :Cheers:

Sorry to jump in m8 but i hope i can help.

The 16:9 option works fine. You get the full picture. I've got a true widescreen TV and it works perfectly.
Also the recording to HD is simple and easy. You gotta see the playback pic quality to believe it.

In regards to the HD install; You get the HD mounting plates with the box and all you do is screw these to the side of the hd and then mount the HD onto 4 supports in the replaybox and screw it in. (its dead simple once you see the box).
The connections (IDE lead) goes straight onto the board. The HD connection is IDE only.
Also it is recommended that you use a 5400 Seagate drives but 7200 ones work just as well.
You get everything (minus the HD) in the ReplayBox package!

If you download the ReplayBox Tutorial you 'll see how simple it is.
Even a nube like me could do it:proud:

Last edited:
I've got just afew questions that i need answering before I purchase one. :

Will I get full EPG with this box on NTL in Leicester? The reason I ask is 1. Without the record funtion is useless and at the mo i dont get it on my fta 101 box, but i'm hoping thats because of the box not NTL.

Also i would imagine using this box is just like using sky+ so is it possible to back up what via I recorded onto dvd.

cheers

ferritt said:
I've got just afew questions that i need answering before I purchase one. :

Will I get full EPG with this box on NTL in Leicester? The reason I ask is 1. Without the record funtion is useless and at the mo i dont get it on my fta 101 box, but i'm hoping thats because of the box not NTL.

Also i would imagine using this box is just like using sky+ so is it possible to back up what via I recorded onto dvd.

cheers

Hello m8, u will get full EPG on popular channels, other channels u will get atleast now and next EPG. u should have no problems in leicester mate i live there too. u can use the box exactly like a S K Y+ box u can pause live TV! timeslip and even record 1 channel and watch another ONLY IF BOTH CHANNELS ARE ON SAME TRANSPOONDER! you could back up what u recorded on hard drive to DVD with a seperate DVD recorder.

Hope that answers ur questions.

lovely cheers for that mate. One other thing any chance of some screen shots of the epg/menus etc...

cheers

elite786 said:
here ya go mate!

cheers for that mate the epg looks better than i thought. I did say that I would wait till the new year to get one but the more I read and see of em the more I want one now. Looks like I'll get looking for the best deal.

cheers again for the pics mate

:FLAG:

elite786 said:
here ya go mate!

cheers mate :)

but can you show me the actual page that has the "16:9" option, cheers mate :)

ferritt said:
cheers for that mate the epg looks better than i thought. I did say that I would wait till the new year to get one but the more I read and see of em the more I want one now. Looks like I'll get looking for the best deal.

cheers again for the pics mate

:FLAG:

yeh i know, spoke to the developers and they put alot of time in to the EPG layout and system. lol i was going to hold out until the chap sent me pics of working i bought 1 straight away! i think they go for £155 including delivery next day. i paid more as no1 had them and i was 1 of the first to get mines :).

could any of you lovely people tell me about the talk back on these replay boxes. :banana:

thomson said:

but can you show me the actual page that has the "16:9" option, cheers mate :)

There ya go mate, i hope its what ur looking for. i aplogise for the crap pics i only have a camera fone at the momemt.

screenshot of both 4:3 and 16:9 options selected. u have a single button on the remote and when u press it, it flicks thru the different screen modes.

elite786 said:
There ya go mate, i hope its what ur looking for. i aplogise for the crap pics i only have a camera fone at the momemt.

screenshot of both 4:3 and 16:9 options selected. u have a single button on the remote and when u press it, it flicks thru the different screen modes.

how do you find the picture fit ?? perfect of what ?? no cropping etc, and also, is it a true widescreen tv you have, if not then i suppose you wont really be able to answer the question with 100% accuracy ??

p.s
is there a fully functioning AU image for the replay box and is it possible to enter the keys in manually if needed (like the eurovox2).

p.p.s, sorry for yet another edit, but heres my questions from before that you forgot to answer mate >>>

Also, if it does have the true 16:9 option, if you have a true widescreen tv, please select this option and tell us if it fits the screen perfectly, no black bands at top or bottom of screen, and no cropping at the sides of screen, best way to check cropping is to look at the adverts and things between tv programmes, they lots of time have words (text) and things on screen, and if the picture gets cropped the words get cropped etc, so you only see parts of words etc at the sides of the screen, iam sure you know what i mean.

And, regarding the hard drive install, when you say "you mount the rails", what do you mean exactly by that ? and is the cable's that plug into the hard drive already hooked up in the replay box, just a case of plugging them into hard drive ?? and is the hard drive an IDE hard drive ?

Last edited:
Back