replacing old tomtom

nyck

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just used my Tomtom go720 on holiday and was working fine until I left it in the car window and it over heated in the sun .
It now can see the satellites but wont lock for ageses or wont lock at all.

Can the new tomtom units be hacked/updated ?? or is this a thing of the past and everyone uses apps on the their mobiles??
It would have to be used Offline as roaming in America is expensive
thanks

My car has an android unit in it so I bought IGO about 3 years ago and have had 2 or 3 free updates every year. Wasn't too expensive from the google store. Worth the money to me so I don't have to keep cracking it or trying to find cracked maps.

Also I can install it on any android device that is linked to my google account, so I have it on my phone, my tablet and also in the Mrs car.

I was there recently & though I ended up just using Google Maps (think android auto prefers to use it) Here WeGo Maps defo worked, just download the relevant State maps before you go. There might be better options out there but it's definitely a working option.
HH.

After trying quite a few I found that Waze was the best for me

Just used my Tomtom go720 on holiday and was working fine until I left it in the car window and it over heated in the sun .
It now can see the satellites but wont lock for ageses or wont lock at all.

Can the new tomtom units be hacked/updated ?? or is this a thing of the past and everyone uses apps on the their mobiles??
It would have to be used Offline as roaming in America is expensive
thanks

I got an email from tomtom a while a go mentioning that older satnav's need a patch.

Due to the GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) that occurred on 6 April 2019, the performance of your device has been impacted.

While we no longer offer content and service updates for your device, we have made an update available that addresses the WNRO

TO UPDATE: Connect your device to your computer. Click the ‘update now’ button for instructions on how to update your device.

Important note: When you connect your navigation device to your computer, you will see a pop-up stating that it is not possible to make the update. This is normally the case for devices for which we are no longer able to support, but as this is an external issue related to GPS WNRO, we are offering a software update. Close the pop-up and continue with the update.

link here

I got an email from tomtom a while a go mentioning that older satnav's need a patch.

I did get that email while i was away but as i had no access to a PC i couldn't update it so ive done it now .
Hopefully that has sorted the issue but the heat may of fried it ???
I'll stick with it and have Google and other apps ready on standby
Thanks for everyones help

I use an app called WAZE via my phone, can't fault it, but you need mobile data enabled.........

You do for traffic updates, but not for basic routing

I may be wrong but WAZE was ok if we setup the route whilst we had Wifi / data and then drove off but if you tried setting up a new route with no Wifi/date it wouldnt work ?? As i said i may be wrong would need testing again

Whist Google maps you can download the area you want to use ie Boston down to Cape cod (105Mb) and its stores it for 30days on your phone as an Offline map ,you can store multiple maps

I only found out about the Google (offline) option on the last 2 days of our trip , we kept having to desperately fine a unlocked Wifi hotspot to setup a new route using Waze

I may be wrong but WAZE was ok if we setup the route whilst we had Wifi / data and then drove off but if you tried setting up a new route with no Wifi/date it wouldnt work ?? As i said i may be wrong would need testing again

Whist Google maps you can download the area you want to use ie Boston down to Cape cod (105Mb) and its stores it for 30days on your phone as an Offline map ,you can store multiple maps

I only found out about the Google (offline) option on the last 2 days of our trip , we kept having to desperately fine a unlocked Wifi hotspot to setup a new route using Waze

Don't think your wrong there. No Wifi and it will lose connection........no phone signal and mobile data will lose connection. In my eyes what is the point of having a satnav if you end up stuck in a load of traffic......

Just seen this in your first post...."It would have to be used Offline as roaming in America is expensive".......so ignore me as I'm an old fart. lol........

Install tomtom go mobile ..works perfectly like tomtom..I'm.sure theres one on here..if not PM I'll upload it somewhere..very simple to install..got it running on my s8 plus.

We have family in the US so when we go we always get a US sim card so we can contact them.

We got one for our month long Route 66 trip was £40 and that lasted 1 month from activation with unlimited data, unlimited calls to the US, unlimited texts worldwide, and 60 minutes of international calls to any country including the UK.

It was good for using sat-nav with traffic info as we did a good deal of driving around, over 5500 miles. :)

My mistake, with 30 gig per month had not had to worry about it for a long time. It was Sygic that I used to use that worked off line

Back