DSLR Replacing a Canon 400D

Goldberg

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

Currently have a 400D that the wife bought me about 6 years ago.
I have literally only started to use it with the little one been born.

I remember when she bought me it, shortly after they brought the next model out which was SD Card compatible, had live view on the viewfinder and did video..

I know there are various models depending on your level of expertise etc.. for me the 400D seems to work fine.
However I would like the video option and the viewfinder option.
I do have a Canon Ixus 510 HS P&S for every day use too, so it is not something that has to do everything.

So, if replacing a 400D, what would be the current equivalent model? I would ideally like it to use the same lenses I have.

If you want to use the same lenses you're going to have to stick with Canon.

The equivalent model will depend on what specs you look at. For example the £240, entry level 1100D has a higher megapixel rating than the 400D. Leave it with me and I'll look into it more.

Firstly I am fine with Canon so all good.

Looking at the 700D seems to be reasonable and would do what I need. Don't think I need to move up to the 70D and beyond!
It's all about finances at the moment and the 400D is pretty worthless now to be honest.

There's been a few deals for 600D's on HUKD recently might be worth a look. If you buy as a bundle the 18-55mm that comes with it ain't the best though.
HH.

Canon are running a cashback offer on the 700D, 600D and 100D models, until the 26th.

Looking at the basic spec sheets, for me it would be between the 100D and 700D. 100D is lighter, but 700D has video.

However, with the canon DSLRs it's always worth checking what features magiclantern and other 3rd party firmwares add before buying. i.e. there is no point in spending £490 on the 700D if you can just add the extra features by running a custom firmware from the SD card in a 600D that costs £130 less.

As for what to do with the 400D have a look at 400plus - A firmware hack for the Canon 400D / XTi digital camera - Google Project Hosting also you can get some funky pics by removing the IR filter in front of the sensor (not recommended for the faint of heart).

Yeah I have a printer that I have just got cashback on, if I buy the camera then I get bonus cashback too.

The 700D is looking more attractive at the moment. Just need to do some finance juggling...

Back