Replacement iphone screens and touch ID annoyance

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Recently I've been doing a few screen replacements (mainly just cracked screens) for family, friends mainly 6-6s-7-7plus iphones.

I'd look through eBay and pick a seller who's sold lots of screens and good feedback but what I've found of late is, the home button touch ID won't work even after swapping out the original home button from the cracked screen.

I check the home buttons working on the cracked screen first before swapping out but once its in the new screen it doesn't work.

I will then swap it back to the cracked screen just to make sure and it works fine which proves the fault lies clearly with the new screen.

Ive even gone to reseting and updating the phone via PC and the home button still doesn't pick up the touch ID.
I then message the seller explaining the siruation which they normally reply to with a "Re-seat the clip" or "You must have damaged the home button ribbon cable"but this is most definatly not the case or it wouldn't work when put back on the broken screen.

My question is, has anyone got a trusted seller qho sells replacement iPhone screens were the majority of the time the touch ID works ok when you've swapped over the home button.
I've 3 here going back all different seller,one seller even said that is normal as iPhone have blocked this in OS 12.1

I can’t offer any help with home button but will be following your thread with interest as I am just about to replace my cracked iPhone 6 screen. Was also told keeping the original button would ensure it will work as before.

The last eBay user I used for a iphone6 screen the home button worked but I had to reset the phone but another I got didn't work.

I'm just fed up of the home button not working in new screens even though they still work on the cracked screen which means its feck all to do with the phone itself.

When your changing screens make sure the rubber home button washer remains tacky. If it's not try pritstick with a toothpick works a treat keeping it in place

Thanks for your advice. I acquired my iPhone 6 from the local rubbish tip 2 years ago. It was water damaged, brand new and not registered. There was green copper oxide on nearly all tiny connectors which i cleaned using B&Q hydrochloric acid brick cleaner and electro cleaner. Disassembly was quick and easy but I struggled getting it all back together mainly because I did not keep the screws in proper order. Everything works on mine including finger print recognition so I conclude disconnecting that button from phone is not the cause for it not working on yours.

No most definatly not. The proof is, if I put the cracked screen back on it works.
I'm in no doubt, it will be a certain factory in Shenzhen that alot of sellers buy from cheap in bulk that's making sh1te screens .

I usually buy OEM parts from Replace Base
If the customer was not so well off I would fit a non OEM screen to keep the cost down. Never had a fingerprint problem with either.
Do you ever have any screens that don't allow the Touch ID to work even though the home button works & Touch ID still works fine in the knackered screen ?

Do you ever have any screens that don't allow the Touch ID to work even though the home button works & Touch ID still works fine in the knackered screen ?
No mate. I learnt my lesson a long time ago not to buy cheap. Inferior parts lead to an inferior repair.

I sent it back and got a refund. I then ordered (out of stock when I first tired) from the same eBay user I previously used for 2 other screens were the original home button worked OK. It came this morning and the original home button worked fine. It just shows you, some screens are utter dog poo

What’s the saying “buy cheap,buy twice “🙄

Anyone no where to get a decent ipad 3 screen and if they come with the button e.t.c

Back