replace pull cord switch in bathroom

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my pull cord switch in bathroom, I took the old housing off and noticed following wires

one red cable going into terminal ,marked IN
one red cables going into terminal marked OUT
one yellow green cable going into another terminal

If a buy a new one, is it easy to swp out

No doubt a sparky will be along soon to give you a definitive answer, but as far as I remember, it should be a straightforward swop.

this seems to be a old switch, having a quick read on line most new ones have a L1 and COMM marked terminals, so I assume I can plug the red cable in the L1 and COMM terminal and should be good to go.

Unlike gas cookers, this can be done as a DIY job, as I did have to pay 50 quid to replace my gas cooker last week.

this seems to be a old switch, having a quick read on line most new ones have a L1 and COMM marked terminals, so I assume I can plug the red cable in the L1 and COMM terminal and should be good to go.

Unlike gas cookers, this can be done as a DIY job, as I did have to pay 50 quid to replace my gas cooker last week.

Yes it really doesnt matter which terminals you put your red wires in to it will work.
The yellow and green will be your earth wire.
Please dont forget to isolate and check before commencing electrical work, as getting electrocuted is a real SHOCK to the system.

it is a DIY Job, but it can be dangerous or cause fire if you do not know what you are doing. ( I AM NOT A qualified electrician)

First off it is a easy job to do, you need to ensure you cave the correct tools to do the job, so if you dont have a Mains Tester screwdriver BUY one they are cheep and may prevent shock ( read this Electricity: the shocking facts › Bernie's Basics (ABC Science) )

Post a pic of the switch, it is just a case of swapping the wires but get it wrong it could lead to fire, you should also ensure the terminals are correctly tightened, lose cable cause heat, heat causes fire.

anyway here is some who is qualified to advise
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

it is a DIY Job, but it can be dangerous or cause fire if you do not know what you are doing. ( I AM NOT A qualified electrician)

First off it is a easy job to do, you need to ensure you cave the correct tools to do the job, so if you dont have a Mains Tester screwdriver BUY one they are cheep and may prevent shock ( read this Electricity: the shocking facts › Bernie's Basics (ABC Science) )

Post a pic of the switch, it is just a case of swapping the wires but get it wrong it could lead to fire, you should also ensure the terminals are correctly tightened, lose cable cause heat, heat causes fire.

anyway here is some who is qualified to advise
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Highly unlikely to cause any fire as long as you can use a screwdriver.
If you connect the live or switch wire to earth it will blow a fuse or in this day and age most likely trip a sensitive breaker.
No matter how you connect the live wire and switch wire to operate it is safe and will work.

Just make sure that the earth is not connected to the live or switch wire.

No mention if it was for lighting or a power shower.

No mention if it was for lighting or a power shower.

If it was for a shower it would have been a double pole switch, switching both live and neutral so he would have had some black or blue wires in there and a minimum of 5 and not three as mentioned in O.P

If it was for a shower it would have been a double pole switch, switching both live and neutral so he would have had some black or blue wires in there and a minimum of 5 and not three as mentioned in O.P

Was the black and blue fire damage :eek: 💋💋💋💋💋🤣

Back