Hardware Replace motherboard and CPU or not

DirkyDanglar

Inactive User
Reaction score
Regarding my earlier post I’s still using the Dell Dimension E520 with Intel Core 2 Duo 4300 PC it’s almost like Triggers broom, I have replaced the power supply, memory graphics card and hard drives over the years and its running windows 10. I was just wondering if it’s worth replacing the motherboard and CPU as its getting sluggish or do I bite the bullet and buy a new PC
Any thoughts DD

Just a quick one, I want to replace the original hard drive in my Dell Dimension E520 PC, It is 2 years old and I do not have Vista discs I believe the back up files for the operating system is on a partition on the hard drive.

Any ideas please?

DD

Sell your hardware and add this money to new one. If you use your PC every day, I think it should be at least set up with a i3 CPU. Now you are using DDR2 Memory, what do you want to do with this when using DDR3? Get a new MB, CPU, Memory, HDD or SSD! What are you thinking about to keep?

Chances are a new MB will mean upgrading the RAM again - if I recall correctly the core2duos ran on DDR. Maybe you could pick up a barebones kit from somewhere like overclockers?

As mentioned, if you want to jump a step or 2 in CPU's then you're going to have to invest in some new DDR 3 to go along with the new mobo and processor. When I bit the bullet and upgraded from an old Core2Duo I bought one of the cheap Pentium anniversary CPU's which meant I could invest in a 1150 (Haswell) Z97 mobo amd DDR3 with minimal cost and then have an upgrade path for a decent CPU at a later date when I had the money.

You could do the same now and jump to a socket 1151 x170 mobo and DDR 4 (yes 4) and then spend £50 on a Pentium (Skylake) or if you've got the money an i3, and have time to get a decent Skylake i5 or i7 at a later date if you think you need it.

If it were me, with a quick look on Scan I'd get the following:

Pentium G4400, S 1151, Skylake £48.38 or Core i3 6100, S 1151, Skylake £93.76
ASRock Z170A ATX mobo £66.96
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-17000 (2133) £41.54

£168.38 inc vat (£213.76 inc vat for i3)

That's ATX but micro-ATX if your case needs it would just tweak the and cost the same.

Bear in mind though that any major shift in hardware is likely to void your free Win 10 license so could end up having to shell out on that if you don't have other means

Honestly, I'd make sure there's no junkware running and throw in an SSD. See if that makes a difference. It should at least boot and start programs faster. You can get decent ones 80-120 GB for $40 right now and it's pretty easy to clone disks even with Win10.

Back