Remove files with illegal characters from Windows

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Reaction score
I have, on an old XP machine some music files that I must have transferred from a Linux machine at some time. Unfortunately, they contain ":" characters so Windows can't delete them.

I'm wondering how I got them onto there in the first place. I used to use a Linux laptop and the power jack or something messed up and it wasn't worth me repairing it as it was given to me partially working anyway.

I must have put the Linux HDD into the XP machine, I have a PATA adapter for that, then copied the files over to C:\. To do that I would have had to use a Live Linux CD but none I have will boot successfully on that machine. Also, C:\ is on striped RAID and I'm not hopeful that Linux will have drivers for that.

How did I copy them?

Anyway, I've tried all the various command prompt delete commands and rename commands etc. Now I need to either find a Linux which will boot and mount the C drive or use a disk hex editor. Can you edit system partition raw while it is mounted? I'm sure it will be locked.

Any suggestions that don't involve buying software? What's on there isn't critical and I was going to format it ant tidy things up but I hadn't planned on that for a while.

Just remembering something about nomodeset while booting Linux. Just getting blank screens but having to change a setting seems familiar.

Erm, i dunno if blanking the whole drive is what you want to do but a partition manager would erase everything on that partition and you'd start afresh! You being Spectre, i'm sure thats NOT what you want to do?

Erm, i dunno if blanking the whole drive is what you want to do but a partition manager would erase everything on that partition and you'd start afresh! You being Spectre, i'm sure thats NOT what you want to do?

It's not what I want to do just yet :). There is a working OS on there. Long due refreshing but it's an older PC and I thought I'd leave it be for the moment as it is very stable. I use some of the stuff on there and I'm currently collecting SW together for a reinstall on my main PC :).

I will eventually format but I thought I may as well try to find out how to fix it just in case it happens to another system.

I tried all the Ubuntu options and it won't boot properly, looks like a graphics issue. I'm sure I used that in the past though.

My Ubuntu CD is stored with a small card which has a few things scribbled on it like:

• encryptfs-recover-private
  • encryptfs-unwrap-passphrase
  • Alt+F2 gksu nautilus

No idea what I was doing there... It was years ago.

Bad idea in ~2003 using striped RAID.

Last edited:
Back