remote problem or not ?

dave_c

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys not sure if this is in the right section or not , have got a 37" baird tv , had it a few years now , but don't know the model number before anyone asks lol , the set was all working fine up until a few days ago , when the set seemed not to respond to the remote , anyway turned set off at mains for few mins then switched back on , remote seemed ok as it turned it back on , later in the day when trying to change channels etc no response , have changed batteries in remote and the light comes on on the remote when pressing any buttons and have also checked the led in the remote via the camera method and pressing button and the led blinks , could it be the remote that is the prob orcould it be the ir sensor in the tv itself

thanks in advance for any help or ideas

to check remote use your mobile to see the impulse as you press buttons you say it blinks so possibly its ok.
thinking it might be a cap on tv as when cold it works but overheating may freeze.
you may need your make and model to do a search faults on tv makes.

there are times even when tv is cold that the it will not respond to remote , I will have to pull the tv out and se if I can find the model number , I have searched for a replacement remote , but the ones with the same model of remote I don't want to be spending £11 to find out its something else

any wifi or other gadgets in that room that can interfere with signal?

I'd open the remote up at first @dave_c.

There is a strange thing that happens to remotes and it happened to my ancient freeview one a few years back.

The silicone oil from the keymat can leach out and end up on the circuit board (search it, people get a surprise seeing liquid in their remotes), this is usually why you have to press buttons harder over time but sometimes it will totally fail to work. It can be cleaned off with water and soap, I didn't use a solvent as they can dissolve the carbon tracks for the keys.

Also, like @cactikid said about other gadgets, cover or remove any other remotes. Sometimes when the batteries die in them they start transmitting gibberish. Seen that one with a friend's cable box and TV, both remotes on table pointing towards TV and box...

there are no other wifi stuff in the room , other remotes for dvd player are in the drawer so should not think it is those , will have a try to get the remote apart looks like it is a moulded unit , but until I get me specs and a magnifier cant really tell ( my eyes not what they used to be ) , cant stand the ones that have the ridge round the edge as always end up ripping the clips off , or leaving jagged edges around the side lol

there are no other wifi stuff in the room , other remotes for dvd player are in the drawer so should not think it is those , will have a try to get the remote apart looks like it is a moulded unit , but until I get me specs and a magnifier cant really tell ( my eyes not what they used to be ) , cant stand the ones that have the ridge round the edge as always end up ripping the clips off , or leaving jagged edges around the side lol

I think the Pound Shop does a universal remote so that might be a bit more convenient than pulling yours apart just in case there is nothing wrong with it!

Old bank cards are good spudgers to get things like remotes apart :).

had a look in a couple of the pound shops in town yesterday , just my luck they got none in stock at min , might have a look on the bay see what they got in line of universals

Have you tried the obvious stuff such as getting up next to the sensor and trying it, and cleaning both the Tx and Rx lenses? Surprising how even a small smudge can affect the signal.
There is not a lot of evidence against your remote in your posts but if it is faulty then check out the real thing first instead of a universal.

I have tried the remote about 2mm away from the sensor and still nothing , will try cleaning the lenses and see if that makes any diff

Back