remote assistance problem

hotwire

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys help needed again. i cant seem to connect through msn with remote assistance to my cousins laptop it keeps saying remote assistance could be established because the remote host name could not be resolved. please try again. any help appreciated guys as i need to sort a few things out on my cousins laptop. cheers in advance for all the help.

hi there mate i tried it but it never worked so turned off all the firewall the windows one and the router firewall too and still no luck i know its not a problem from my side as i can connect to another pc remotely through msn which is in my house. any help appreciated. many thanks

So have you got your remote 'person' to turn off his firewall?? You've ascertained the problem is not your end, so you need to investigate the remote client. Are you doing it by getting him to send a remote assistance request?...I should say it's 'his' firewall....

Sounds like firwall on the client. If its not the firewall check that there are no local policies disabling remote assistance. If its a Vanilla XP build then the local policies should be fine. To check the policies you will need to run MMC and add the group policies snap in. Hope this helps.

Incidentally, MS remote assistance is more than a bit crap.

If you do this often i would suggest RealVNC, it's really good. Google it.

It's also free which is a huge bonus.

Same firewall rules will apply.

Back