Regarding The New Forced Firmware

cryptik

Inactive User
Reaction score
ive said this a few times, so this is the last time im sayin this

no its not the end of clones
if u had a ntl 200 modem on a 120 or 100 mac, then yes, your modem is ****ed if you have it on the feed (all areas will be affected within the next week)
you will have to reflash the modem using a willlem programmer to a pre-updated dump, then u will be able to alter the mac (u will have to use a 200 mac on a ntl 200 modem for it to work now)

this is because ntl are forcing incompatible software downloads, the 200 cant run on 120 firmware, hence all the lights going on and off but ntl are makin the 200s download this firmware because no subscribed customer will have a 120 mac on a 200 modem, so they know only the clones will be affected by the forced upgrade

all you need to do is get a pre-updated ntl 100 or 120 and a 100 or 120 mac address, put the mac on the modem, and the modem will upgrade, however it will upgrade to a compaitable firmware so the modem will work fine

the moral of the story is

ntl 200 modems - u must use ntl 200 mac address
ntl 100 120 modems - u must use an ntl 100 120 mac address

p.s it seems only 3mb macs are getting forced to download the new software upgrade at the moment if incompaitable, i.e 100 mac on 200 modem

p.s you can use a 100 mac address on a ntl 120 modem and vice versa

ntl 100 and 120 run on the same firmware.

Well that put an end to the rather long harry potter saga .

You have my congratulations on a well documented thread.

Cheers:Cheers: :Cheers:

I don't see how they can update firmware with the non update command installed on the modem?
If you watch it in hyper terminal when it's online it say firmware upgrade failed as it only tries three times?
I can see if it had to be a certain frimware to work and the old one wouldn't any more?
But is it possible to bypass that command?
I'm only a beginner but it doesn't sound very logical to me.
wotyourecon!

its a very crude method, its only a line of code, which can be easily bypassed. theirs nothin physically stopping it.

im unsure if the pin 11 to 3.3v will stop the update, i think it probably will, however it could possibly leave the software corrupt, as im sure it can erase the atmel. (cant be sure tho, so dont take my word for it)

if its like a computer? when you push out updates to other PC's you can do a normal software push or you can do a force aplication install. this i think is what NTL are doing they are forcing rather than pushing it out. this will over write any thing on the modem.

Don't quote me on this i'm only a network services technician.

take my word for it the pin 11 does not work.
Or it does work.
The modem doesnt update.
but it doesnt work either.
I don't know how long i spent on it.
It would get a decent ip for about five seconds,and thats your lot.
I can't get my head around 100 goes with this and 200 goes with that.
I've only ever seen 120 macs.
Ah yes someone said dhcp force would only detect these.
There must be other sniffing software that would.
How about the no firmware upgrade on a surfboard.
Is that more secure?

I think someone might be bothered to workout a jtag for an ambit now.
Is it really that difficult?
I've tried tsop off and on.
Managed it once.
Didnt manage it thrice!!
It's a bit stone age???
woturecon?

ok i get it now 200 for 200 and 120,100 for either 120,100.
Easy really.
Silly of me to ask how can it update.
I don't understand the thing.
I just read tuts and push buttons.

cryptik said:
ive said this a few times, so this is the last time im sayin this
no its not the end of clones
if u had a ntl 200 modem on a 120 or 100 mac, then yes, your modem is ****ed if you have it on the feed (all areas will be affected within the next week)
you will have to reflash the modem using a willlem programmer to a pre-updated dump, then u will be able to alter the mac (u will have to use a 200 mac on a ntl 200 modem for it to work now)
this is because ntl are forcing incompatible software downloads, the 200 cant run on 120 firmware, hence all the lights going on and off but ntl are makin the 200s download this firmware because no subscribed customer will have a 120 mac on a 200 modem, so they know only the clones will be affected by the forced upgrade
all you need to do is get a pre-updated ntl 100 or 120 and a 100 or 120 mac address, put the mac on the modem, and the modem will upgrade, however it will upgrade to a compaitable firmware so the modem will work fine
the moral of the story is
ntl 200 modems - u must use ntl 200 mac address
ntl 100 120 modems - u must use an ntl 100 120 mac address
p.s it seems only 3mb macs are getting forced to download the new software upgrade at the moment if incompaitable, i.e 100 mac on 200 modem
p.s you can use a 100 mac address on a ntl 120 modem and vice versa
ntl 100 and 120 run on the same firmware.

Is this correct? Thanks what we want to know, i have had nothing happening to any of mine yet, can someone with abit more posts or even a cable MOD please confirm any of this?

Hi,

I have an Ambit 100 and a 200. Before reading this post I had a 200 Mac on the Ambit 100 and a 120 Mac on the Ambit 200. This prevented any firmware update on both bodems and they have been working like a treat for a few months.

After reading the advice in this post, I updated my ambit 100 with a 120 Mac (3mb) and my ambit 200 (2mb) with a 200 Mac.

Neither modem took any new firmware (couldnt see the ntl logo on the mdem config webpage), both are still working fine......

My question is: Is all of this really necessary?
I have a few other Ambit 200's knocking about with 100 or 120 Macs on them. Should I bother updating them with 200 macs, or should I just sit tight?

Cheers

like i said before, not all areas have been affected, its like vod, it will hunt you down!

so id advise u cahnge the macs to suit the modem

cryptik said:
like i said before, not all areas have been affected, its like vod, it will hunt you down!
so id advise u cahnge the macs to suit the modem

Ok m8, im getting my 200's off now as they have 120 macs and putting my updated 120s back on. Cheers

here in lincoln i have 2 ambit 200's running on 120 mac's
both still working fine.

but i am gonna put a 200 mac back on one of them and wait and see with the second as i have a couple of spares

LincCracker said:
here in lincoln i have 2 ambit 200's running on 120 mac's
both still working fine.
but i am gonna put a 200 mac back on one of them and wait and see with the second as i have a couple of spares

I know of 2 ambits that went down yesterday not far from you. I don't know if they are 200's with 120 macs, but they both have the all lights flashing problem.

f00k it im leaving mine on i dont really care tbh if it gets updated like ill find a way round it and besides ill still be able to use me subbed modem :Ds o FU ntl go suck a cawk ;)

Once the modem has been hit is probably best to take it off the cable connection? If it is still conected can NTL do anything further?
How are they managing to bypass the pin 11 mod?

boot log

Does anyone have a boot log from a modem that's gone down after having different mac on it (100 on a 120 or 120 on a 200)

if so can they post so we can have a look

in fact take back what i said :D im gunna put a lower mac on mine hopefully that will then stop it? i think there doing thid due to the 10mbit roll out like on one side its good for legit users on the other hand it gets rid of people with cloned 3mbit clones dont hold me to that its just my theory.... i think ntl are trying to stop people being able to get 10mbit on a clone imagine the bw usage... like 1mbit isnt so bad nor 2

Back