Recording Problem

Retro

Inactive User
Reaction score
This message just happens some times, I used to get it. Tried numerous suggestions (literally hundreds of different suggestions!) but all failed.

If you are sure you have set up the network permissions correctly as detailed in the tutorial, then I suggest you give up on this method.

This method works for some people, and not for others.
I suggest that you have a go at using recording server software instead.

Retro said:
Hi all,
Have been following a tutorial to the letter on how to record to PC (http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12518&d=1126313519),but are still having trouble.
Ive set up my box & pc to the tutorials spec and when i try to record it says
"The recording directory is writer protected"
Please can someone help me on this,as its drivin me crazy..
Thanks
Retro
Try this...

put a dummy file in the shared folder on your PC. Any file will do. Rename it test.ts

Go to Movie Player on the Dbox and select Play TS. If you're not already there, navigate to the folder you have specified in the mount settings, usually var/mnt/movies. If you can't see the test.ts file, it's because your mount isn't working. There could be a problem in the mount settings or a firewall on the PC might be blocking your efforts.

If you can see the file, the mount is working, and the problem is most likely with the permissions for the folder on the PC side of things, or you could try disabling long filenames from the Recording settings, that sometimes sorts this out too. Also make sure the recording settings are pointing to the mounted folder.

In the mount settings, it's quite common for people to forget to change ro,soft,udp to rw,soft,udp, but I think most of the guides make that quite clear now. Either ay, thought I would mention it.

Hope any of this helps.

Which image are you running

The image info you are running would help.

Retro said:
Thanks, i will try all comments.
as for my Image "Sportster Ultra 1.76".
Retro

I am having same problem??

ANy ideas please?

Using Gavs latest image (sportster_12_11_05_2x) and set everything up for recording. When testing, the screen goes off (sound also). Recording to PC fine though, files are there no probs. Only when I stop the recording and go to another channel and back the picture (and sound) comes back.

Also, when trying to play back the files recorded from the PC, the screen just stays blank. Have tried ucode 14 and just get channel unavailable throughout. Back to 1A and ok again.

Any help would be appreciated.

eddison said:
Using Gavs latest image (sportster_12_11_05_2x) and set everything up for recording. When testing, the screen goes off (sound also). Recording to PC fine though, files are there no probs. Only when I stop the recording and go to another channel and back the picture (and sound) comes back.
Also, when trying to play back the files recorded from the PC, the screen just stays blank. Have tried ucode 14 and just get channel unavailable throughout. Back to 1A and ok again.
Any help would be appreciated.
You need to use ucode14 and enable SPTS mode, either permanently from Misc Settings or per recording from the recording settings. If you don't want the screen to go black during recordings, make sure Stop Playback is set to off in the recording settings. Leaving it on can increase the risk of recording errors, though.

Hi Senor

When using ucode14, all I get is channel unavailable. Would a rescan fix this?

I'm enabling SPTS mode on record and have touched the file /var/etc/spts_mode

I've gone back into Server based recording and set Stop Playback to off and switched back to Direct File mode (cannot access that option otherwise) for what it's worth. If it's the norm for the picture to be off (to avoid errors) then that would be ok. Right now though I dunno what the extent of the errors and I still cannot see a picture when recording. Still the same story with playback also. When I press the DBox key the time comes up and keeps incrementing but there's no activity from my switch.

Thanks for suggestions

eddison said:
Hi Senor

When using ucode14, all I get is channel unavailable. Would a rescan fix this?
That's quite unusual. I thought you meant a crash/hang that resulted in "channel not available". If all the channels work with ucode001a, I don't know of any reason they wouldn't work with 0014, and I wouldn't have thought a rescan would sort this out. Have you tried disabling Hardware Sections from the Misc Settings?

eddison said:
I'm enabling SPTS mode on record and have touched the file /var/etc/spts_mode
I have SPTS mode permanently enabled from Misc Settings, and not under the Recording Settings. Not sure if that would make a difference. It might be worth a try.

eddison said:
I've gone back into Server based recording and set Stop Playback to off and switched back to Direct File mode (cannot access that option otherwise) for what it's worth.
Yes, it would be nice if the option didn't disappear when you enable Direct File. That's what I do too.

eddison said:
Still the same story with playback also
If the recordings for whatever reason were corrupt, they wouldn't play back correctly. I can give you a small TS sample for you to try and see if you can at least get playback to work, if you want?

Hi

Here's an update of progress so far:

Did a power reset.

Changed channel to Channel4.
Recording: screen is on and is working great.
Playback: asked which audio stream, selecting either results in no audio (but there is a picture and it looks great - hurrah!).

Changed channel to Sky1.
Recording: file is there and streaming, screen is blank
Playback: Blank screen, no activity on switch.

Seems that this could be something to do with encrytion perhaps?

I think I will look into re-flashing later as there could also be a setting that I have unknowingly changed. Flashed with IFA last time/first time with no probs. Will use IFA again (especially as I have no serial cable to hand).

Senor: Thanks for the offer of sending me a small TS file. It seems that it's mostly under control now and progress is being made.

Any other suggestions welcome otherwise I'll post progress as and when.

Ps: I can play back the Channel4 recording in Windows Media Player (still no sound). Picture is awesome!! Cannot play back Sky1 recording in Windows Media Player though.

eddison said:
Ps: I can play back the Channel4 recording in Windows Media Player (still no sound). Picture is awesome!! Cannot play back Sky1 recording in Windows Media Player though.
Glad you're making progress. It does sound like a ucode issue, so perhaps a reflash might be a good idea. It makes sense that an FTA would play back, but not an encrypted channel.

Back