Recommended NVR\CCTV system

shabbaranks

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Standard "can anyone recommend a decent system please" budget around the £150 mark\4 or 8 channels - was looking at Hikvision as Ive used them before but not sure if anyone has completed an installation recently and can recommend some equipment?

rawsy

DW F1 Champ 2010, 14, 19 and 20
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hilook are the cheaper end of hikvision and are just as good. I did have a little bother with the poe on their nvr but use them all the time at work without issue.

for that budget though I would be looking at ahd or thd. They are cheaper than poe and still hd. The picture suffers a little but not enough to be worried about.

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
look into Ubiquiti UniFi Protect, its there CCTV

chookey

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in this thread as well. Only looking at 2 cameras.
I bought a Ring video doorbell but haven't fitted it as I don't think it will meet my needs.

My real reason for some sort of system is that I am spending a lot of time working on my new shed/workshop project so am not there to answer my front door. If I have an Amazon or some other delivery expected ,(regular occurrence), I am stuck indoors waiting.
I am going to install an audible alert but if any of my power saws are on the go I will not hear it so need a system that will vibrate my watch/phone.

Basically need a system that will alert me in real time. I've read a lot of stories regarding serious lag with the Ring devices.

avid

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in this thread as well. Only looking at 2 cameras.
I bought a Ring video doorbell but haven't fitted it as I don't think it will meet my needs.

My real reason for some sort of system is that I am spending a lot of time working on my new shed/workshop project so am not there to answer my front door. If I have an Amazon or some other delivery expected ,(regular occurrence), I am stuck indoors waiting.
I am going to install an audible alert but if any of my power saws are on the go I will not hear it so need a system that will vibrate my watch/phone.

Basically need a system that will alert me in real time. I've read a lot of stories regarding serious lag with the Ring devices.
My daughter’s fella has the ring video doorbell and he said the only time you get lag if you are in an area with poor signal. But when he is in his garage connected to his WiFi the motion sensor and ringer notifications come through instantly.

chookey

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My daughter’s fella has the ring video doorbell and he said the only time you get lag if you are in an area with poor signal. But when he is in his garage connected to his WiFi the motion sensor and ringer notifications come through instantly.
My wi-fi is really strong in the house but very weak up by my shed where it's needed. I have installed an internet feed in my shed and is where I may install the DVR.
I might rig up some form of structure to mount the Ring device by my front window so I can test if the lag is present. Bit awkward trying to install it outside where I actually wanted it due to having a upvc door and metal running through it.

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
As rawsy said, Hi-look cheap cheerful and v.g. for the money. I use a hard drive out an old 1tb Sky sat box

kegnkiwi

Elite Member
Reaction score
You can pick up wifi cameras on ebay that take an sd card and once connected they alert you in real time. I have a cheap ptz wifi camera in the back garden and a better anran 20 x zoom 5mb ptz on the front of the house monitoring the street. Both send push notifications either via wifi or over 4/5g.

chookey

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can pick up wifi cameras on ebay that take an sd card and once connected they alert you in real time. I have a cheap ptz wifi camera in the back garden and a better anran 20 x zoom 5mb ptz on the front of the house monitoring the street. Both send push notifications either via wifi or over 4/5g.
Would likely do what I need it for. Just watched one review but will look at some more :D

kegnkiwi

Elite Member
Reaction score
TEST