received my dreambox now what

• Thread starter Deleted member 6259
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6259

howdy guys ive just received my dream box (dm500-c) now what you i do lol im a complete noob to them so be nice lol

ok then whats the first thing i gotta do with it

cheers john :)

There is a guide posted in this room on how to modify the neutrino image, but i am in the middle of compiling a guide on how to use the gemini image.(should be up tomorrow)

Satchmo said:
There is a guide posted in this room on how to modify the neutrino image, but i am in the middle of compiling a guide on how to use the gemini image.(should be up tomorrow)

sorry to sound thick mate but is the gemini image better then the neutrino one m8 :)

also if i install the neutrio image could i replace it later with the gemini one

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy Little John & congrats on aquiring this nifty little piece of kit...

1) The Gemini Image (1.05) is easier to install as the evocamd is already installed, you have to do a manual scan and you may need to do a few to get all channels (each taking around 10 mins, you'll also need to know your area freq/symbol rate etc but thats easy enough)

Time from start to viewing around 40 minutes (probably quicker)

2) The Neutrino image took me a little longer (but that's simply my setup) thanks to Satchmos guide it's now running as sweet as a nut and looks much better than the Gemini. I think others will agree.

Time from start to viewing around 60 minutes

I have found in the week I have had my box the IP address is the most important issue, as unless you get it right you are left with using a null modem cable which takes ages. It has been a case of trial and error for me but then again thats how you learn new stuff, apart from the trouble & strife taking the p##s

The Trouble & Strife said:
You've bloody broke the box again aven't you

It's been good and the best bit is I have barely scratched the surface of what it can do..

k-net2020 said:
Howdy Little John & congrats on aquiring this nifty little piece of kit...

1) The Gemini Image (1.05) is easier to install as the evocamd is already installed, you have to do a manual scan and you may need to do a few to get all channels (each taking around 10 mins, you'll also need to know your area freq/symbol rate etc but thats easy enough)

Time from start to viewing around 40 minutes (probably quicker)

ok cheers mate ill go with that one is there any good tuts for it mate :)

Totally agree with Knet2020 on the gemini image being the easiest to install and set up: with the same end result (free tv)

My manual scan only takes around 2 minutes max though.

i find the gemini image much easier to use aswell, with the way it is set out, compared to the neutrino image!

Knet2020 if you manage to get a backup image of your neutrino i mage, please post it as i'd like to see if there is anything different than mine!!
i have reverted back to using the gemini image as i didn't like the neutrino image. ( thought it was a little difficult to use compared to the gemini one)

Cheers
Satch

No probs Satchmo, I'll up it some time today, I have to also agree the Gemini image is easier to use, the Neutrino looks better (fading menus etc) but I have already had a few 'near misses' when scanning for channels as by default it uses an 'update bouquet' so if (like I did you cancel before the scan completes) you lose all the channels again.

So it's not quite as intuitive as the Gemini but after a few days I am sure you'll get used to it.To be honest I have now got my Gemini backed up and would probably always revert to this one in an emergency.

Advice to Little John would be go with Gemini first to get up & running and then if you feel a little 'itchy' to play you can do the Neutrino.

cheers mate ill give it ago later today just a couple of things do i conect it via a com lead and i gather i put my cable feed into the tv arial bit

thanks again john

Hi LittleJohn, you dont need your cable feed till you are doing a scan...if you are going for the Gemini

boot your dreambox > set an ip (ensure dhcp is off) > connect yer PC to the dreambox > use Flash Wizrd Pro to flash the Gemini image > box will reboot > connect your cable feed and do manual scan for your area (may need to do a few for SM channels simply find one that works look at the stream info (dreambox) and do a scan on that freq

Not too hard but if you get stuck post and we'll try to help you out

nice one mate ill be giving it ago tomorrow thought the lead i had was ok but its the wrong type ill give yas a shout if i get stuck i should of really said when there tho pmsl

cheers again matey

well little john it's entirely up to you. personally i found the neutrino image to use(well once i set it up thanks to a spot guide by satchmo) as i'm used to neutrino off my dbox. but just bare in mind if you use or used a dbox with neutrino on you'll prob find that one easier as it's basiclly the same set up once it's on the box. but both work good and seem better picture quality than a dbox

ok im going to give it agao the day firstly a few questions to get me started how to i connect the dream box to my pc ,how can i turn off dhcp,and how to i find out my ip for it

sorry if these are very basic questions but i really dont have a clue what im doing

cheers john :Cheers:

well first things first connect box to pc via serial null modem cable and cross over cable. if you currently have a gemini image on press menu button, go to setup then expert setup, then the the first box which is communication setup it will show your ip for the box also the option there to turn off dchp. if you've dot a neutrino image on press menu then go down to settings then it's number 4 which is is network. once again it shows ip and option for dchp.
if you have gemini on the ip is normally 192.168.1.200 and neutrino is 172.16.1.6 but remember to set your pc ip to one out from the box eg. 192.168.1.201 or 172.16.1.7 or just one up from what ever your box is set up to

hope this helps

LittleJohn said:
ok im going to give it agao the day firstly a few questions to get me started how to i connect the dream box to my pc ,how can i turn off dhcp,and how to i find out my ip for it

sorry if these are very basic questions but i really dont have a clue what im doing

cheers john :Cheers:

How have you got on, need any help just let us know, we now have a few more active users so should be able to help you out.

k-net2020 said:
How have you got on, need any help just let us know, we now have a few more active users so should be able to help you out.

not getting on very well mate :mad: i just carnt figure out how to conect the box to my pc ive got a 9 pin com lead(female ends) and an ethernet lead .any one fancy doing a dummies guide how to conect a box lol its got my head battered this

cheers guys again :Cheers:

LittleJohn said:
not getting on very well mate :mad: i just carnt figure out how to conect the box to my pc ive got a 9 pin com lead(female ends) and an ethernet lead .any one fancy doing a dummies guide how to conect a box lol its got my head battered this

cheers guys again :Cheers:

As we have not yet got a newbies guide the best place I can send you for a start is [DLMURL]http://www.dm500.de[/DLMURL]

This is an official resource, the cable you have should be connected from your PC serial port > Dreambox you DONT need to do the IP etc for this but it's MUCH quicker if you setup the IP and it will allow you to use FlashWizard Pro etc...

However you are best starting off with the Gemini 1.05 image which you need to upload following the above steps simply replace the 'official' image with the Gemini one, but you follow the same steps.

Last edited by a moderator:
service with a smile

Dingodog said:
littlejohn r u on msn, if u are pm me ur addy.

See now thats service with a smile :)

:Cheers:

Back