RDC cant get it to work!

gizmoworld

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a desktop pc connected to a router through ethernet cable. and have 2 laptops running wireless through the router. I am trying to connect the 2 laptps together using RDC. So far I have configured norton to allow RDC on both laptops. Enabled/allowed connections to each laptop, I have configured my router port fording 3389 (this is where im maybe going wrong as the ip i port forward is my routers ip) is this correct? then i go to RDC and type in the other laptops ip but it wont connect???? dont know if the ip of the laptop is correct as when i check it is nearly same as router last digit different. I also got my ip of net but it started with 82. which 1 is it??

any help much appreciated. Thanx.

I wouldn't bother with RDC, just go to www.logmein.com for free remote control option, no need to configure routers as the connection is outgoing from PC to internet. Also supports remote wakeup for most non-wifi connected machines.

TeamViewer is another option, and bypasses the need to config the router. Cracking bit of kit. You can run solely on your home LAN, or open it up to WWW for full remote access.

Oh yeah, it's free as well for percy use.

LogMeIn is good too though, and I used to use it, but I've found TeamViewer slightly better.

There are lot of good free solutions.

Unfotunately for me, logmein is the only one that gets through the outbound proxy at work.

Going back to RDC.

Basically you need to find your public IP address and connect to that address. My advice is to use free DNS service like dyndns and that way you won't need to worry about remembering your public IP, especially if you are on DHCP and it changes. Most routers know about these DNS services and you can get your router to auto-update the dyndns service with your public IP adddress.

You then need to set a port forward on your router for RDC port to your laptop. That means your laptop should really have a static internal addresss. If you want to connect to multiple internal PC then you can change RDC port on each PC in the registry (google it) and set up port forward for each device.

if you are doing this in your house then dont use logmein as it will be slow compared to a program using your LAN, your public ip address (the 82. one) is only for connecting from another internet location, as your local in your house you need the ip the router assigned or you chose manually,(probably 192.something) as for the port forwarding you dont forward the routers ip you forward the machines ip address, but again as it's on your LAN you shouldn't need to forward any ports (forwarding is for traffic coming from the internet).
Have you tried it with windows/norton firewall disabled on both machines?

So much bother with remote desktop on win7 - Teamviewer all the way for me, got it on my lappy, media centre and main PC

Just re-read you initial post. So from what I understand you have two laptops both connected to the same internal network on the router.

To get your laptops IP address, open a command prompt (start -> run -> cmd.exe) and type in ipconfig

your laptops most likely have address something like 192.168.x.x

If you are just connecting from laptop to the other one then you should not have to do anything with the router. Don't worry about the 82.x.x.x address, that is only required if connecting from public internet to your laptop on the internal network.

Back