Razer headset wires

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys my son's razer gaming headset has stopped working and it looked like there was a damaged wired in the heated block that goes into the headset. I've removed the wires from the block and I was going to remake and solder the wires but the wires don't seem to have a core but it seem each wires is a open core and fabric. I'm worried about soldering them then them touching. Please see the photos

Attachments

• IMG_20190112_131421.jpg
    IMG_20190112_131421.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190112_130924.jpg
    IMG_20190112_130924.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
Strip a small piece of insulation by heating with your soldering iron then carefully trim back to size.

Hi chookey thanks for the advise but from what I can see on lots of sites is that it's not insulation as such. They are coated with something and I would need to unwind the strands remove the thread then burn the wires and clean off then tin and solder. I don't think I have enough to play with in the ear cups to do this.

I reckon they might connect if they went into molten solder. Flow the joint and push the wire in, leave the iron on it just slightly longer than normal and see if you have made a connection. Hopefully the coating will have melted, the conductor will have soldered and the fibres will have added mechanical strength.
Wish I had some of it here to test.

I reckon they might connect if they went into molten solder. Flow the joint and push the wire in, leave the iron on it just slightly longer than normal and see if you have made a connection. Hopefully the coating will have melted, the conductor will have soldered and the fibres will have added mechanical strength.
Wish I had some of it here to test.

I remember there was a thread about this somewhere :).

I did fix headphones containing this sort of wire some time ago and the varnish on the wire receded with normal soldering heat. I was probably using 420C with an 80W iron and not very good lead-free solder with mediocre flux as the H&S people like it.

Well i can try again tomorrow with a hotter iron I have both a 100w iron and also one of those temp control irons that I think goes up to 400c. I tried burning a test piece with a small blow gun earlier and it was no good. It will be a right pain in the arse to to solder those short tails in the speaker. I'm gonna buy him a new set but going to go wireless i think, its his birthday in a couple of weeks time.

deffo burn them on a iron and no clean flux well hard buggers to try and strip ect

Last edited:
Trim a very small bit off the end first, put a small ball of solder on a flat or horseshoe iron tip and tin from the end of the wire. Once the solder starts to take to the exposed metal it should make the insulation creep back along the conductors.

I had play this morning and used a flat 100w soldering iron I have. I could see the varnish retract/melt and i tried scratching some more off then put a puddle on the flat blade of the iron but it really did not want to take it. I managed to get a bit onto some of the wires but nothing usefull. Only problem i do not possess flux and i always flux cored solder. I have order a tube up off ebay. In the interim I have gone out a bought him a new set but this time wireless. Bought him these for his birthday they had £40.00 of the price on the web.

STEELSERIES Arctis 7 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset - Black

Just a little update, although I bought the youngan a new set I decided not to throw the others yet, managed to get a easy side tinned today so it can be done. Burned that varnish off, scrape back, fluxed tinned by dropping into a pool of solder on a 100w iron.

Attachments

• IMG_20190127_170541.jpg
    IMG_20190127_170541.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
I think insulation like that needs a good 420°C to get going.

I've read that molten salt baths are used to strip enamel insulated wires but I'm not sure how the really thin stuff is done.

Back