Rangers hold key

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Rangers hold key to Scotland regaining second Champions League place

Rangers players go into the Champions League group stage this year fighting for country as well as club. The Ibrox club need to ensure the combined efforts of three Swiss teams in Europe this season do not bring four or more wins than them in order for Scotland to win back its second Champions League spot.

Only the SPL champions will enter the qualifying stages of the competition in 2011/12 but the opportunity remains for the second spot to be back after a one year absence.

As it stands, Scotland occupy 15th spot in the Uefa country coefficient rankings, 1.441 points better off than Switzerland one place behind. That number is calculated depending on the results of teams in Europe this season, which is then averaged.

From this point forward in either the Champions League or Europa League, teams will receive two points for winning a match and one for drawing. Those points are then divided by the number of teams representing any given country in Europe during the season. In both Scotland and Switzerland’s cases, that number is five.

Four wins between Switzerland’s remaining participants in Europe – Basel in the Champions League and Young Boys and Lausanne in the Europa League – will give them 1.6 points overall, enough to leapfrog Scotland into 15th place and maintain their two entrants in the Champions League for the 2012/13 season.

A win for either Rangers or the three Swiss teams will contribute 0.4 points to the coefficient, with a draw contributing 0.2. Therefore, Rangers will have to hold off the challenge with only six games to do so, while the other contenders will attempt to win four from 18.

If, in their combined efforts, Basel, Young Boys and Lausanne manage to win four more games than Rangers, Scotland will slide to at least 16th place in the rankings, meaning the 2011/12 SPL champions will again have to enter the Champions League at the third qualifying round of the Champions Path.

Only some positive results for Motherwell and Celtic ensured Scotland still have a fighting chance of winning back their second Champions League spot, with Celtic’s two wins and Motherwell’s three wins in the qualifying stages helping to boost this season’s coefficient.

In the qualifying rounds, one point is given for a win and half a point for a draw, meaning Motherwell have contributed three and a half points and Celtic two. Dundee United’s draw in Athens brought a further half point to the table which, when divided by the five entrants, results in a coefficient of two.

All hopes will rest with Rangers to increase that number by picking up points in their Champions League group, where they will face Manchester United, Valencia and Bursaspor.

Basel are in the Champions League and will face Bayern Munich, Roma and CFR Cluj. Young Boys and Lausanne will discover their fate on Friday afternoon in the Europa League.

Rangers will also be fighting to bring back an additional Europa League spot for Scotland. Should they secure 15th place, the third and fourth placed sides in the SPL, together with the Scottish Cup winners, would enter the competition.

As it stands for the 2011/12 season, and potentially for the season after if Switzerland jump ahead, the Scottish Cup winners would enter together with the second and third placed teams in the SPL.

Interesting, so now Celtic are out are their fans going to be rooting for Rangers? :)

Interesting, so now Celtic are out are their fans going to be rooting for Rangers? :)

aye! and the Pope is having a steak pie supper for his tea tonight.

bonhommes-10.gif

Last edited:
Yeah but according to the first post in the thread, it's important for scottish football for Rangers to do well? :err:

i think colin is away, he was in the sb last night looking for a stream for the match, said he was sitting in heathrow :)

i dunno, i mean surely if it's better for scottish soccer in the long run, they should be hoping rangers will do well?

i think colin is away, he was in the sb last night looking for a stream for the match, said he was sitting in heathrow :)

i dunno, i mean surely if it's better for scottish soccer in the long run, they should be hoping rangers will do well?

ahh aint she sweet
hahahadkn.gif
Rab you know i'll be shouting for the Rangers , and you know what i'll be shouting lol

I think deep down most Scottish fans want clubs to do well. as it helps all of Scotland in the future.

as long as they don't win it,

it's like England winning the world cup in 66 and Celtic winning the European cup in 67 it ok at the time. but they have never shut up about it since.

I can Remember being out on the street when Celtic brought home the cup in 67. it passed by my house in London Rd was only 7 at the time, was also at Ibrox when Rangers brought back the cup winners cup in 72

A bit like this year's world cup then, Ireland weren't in it so we (well some of us) were up for England, but didn't want them to win the whole thing! lol

I know what your saying Eva but see at the end of the day, Rangers, celtic and rest of the diddy teams (que the flaming lol ) are not in Europe for Scottish football.

I dnt care what anyone says the teams are in it for themselves.

does anyone think before the game last night lemmon said lets do this for Scottish football? lol and ol Walter wont be in his pre match team talks i'm sure.

i know we need it up but i think both Rangers and Celtic have done their bit over the years, i feel it hs been the rest of the smaller teams qualyfing either by default (i.e if old firm beat em in cup final say ) or legit have let our game down badly.

pmsl what drugs u on eva?
if i had a choice of the manky mob winning in europe
or spikes rammed up my erse .then my bottom would get it every time.:proud:

Rangers players go into the Champions League group stage this year fighting for country as well as club. The Ibrox club need to ensure the combined efforts of three Swiss teams in Europe this season do not bring four or more wins than them in order for Scotland to win back its second Champions League spot.

That's Scotland fucked then! Let's face it, it's the worst league in Europe by a long shot. Anybody that pays the astronomical fees to watch Scottish football needs their head looked at!

I wouldn't watch the supposedly top 2 if they were playing in my front garden!

Listen to John kidding on that's not a normal thing for him.

I was thinking that too witchy. Although I heard you likes it too ;)

And tbh if it were Swansea and Cardiff in the same situation, I would hope the bluebirds got hammered every match.

From the group though, imo Rangers have a good chance of the runners up spot, but it wont happen.

That's Scotland ****ed then! Let's face it, it's the worst league in Europe by a long shot. Anybody that pays the astronomical fees to watch Scottish football needs their head looked at!

I wouldn't watch the supposedly top 2 if they were playing in my front garden!

lmfao, sorry but have to agree with Baaheeduk. Its amazing they still award any places to the SPL.

As it has been some time since an SPL team has done well in the CL. Honestly cant see Rangers doing whats needed to hold on to that extra spot

Back