Rangers close in on Mendes

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Portsmouth have accepted an offer from Rangers in the region of £3m for midfielder Pedro Mendes.

The 29-year-old Portuguese travelled to Glasgow today to discuss personal terms with the Ibrox club.

Twice capped for Portugal, Mendes moved to Fratton Park from Tottenham in January 2006, having previously been with Porto.

Rangers are short of options in central midfield, with skipper Barry Ferguson currently sidelined by injury.

Well move for Webster..

Motherwell are hoping to sign Rangers defender Andy Webster.

Well boss Mark McGhee is eager to bolster his defence and he has turned his attentions to Webster after missing out on Celtic's John Kennedy.

Webster has seen his time at Ibrox blighted by injury and he made just one appearance for the side last season.

Gers boss Walter Smith is believed to be willing to loan him out so that he can get some regular action under his belt.

Webster's agent, Charles Duddy, has confirmed talks are ongoing between both clubs about a possible loan deal.

"I believe Motherwell are speaking to Rangers about signing Andy," Duddy told skysports.com.

"They have expressed an interest in signing him on loan until January.

Just my opinion "I would tell the Begging fecker to sod off, he says he'll leave the club if they sell any players especially to the old firm yet goes cap in hand to them for players on loan instead of his club actually buying somebody."

American rising star Maurice Edu is set to arrive from Toronto FC in a deal worth around £2.5m.

The powerful 22 year-old anchorman, capped six times by the USA and just back from Olympics in Beijing, is on stand-by to jet to Glasgow as soon as the deal is finalised with his MLS club.

Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes was today ay Murray Park after touring Ibrox this morning. And, if all goes well with his personal terms, the 29 year-old Portguese playmaker will sign a £3m deal.

Rangers have also tabled a £4m bid for Palermo midfielder Mark Bresciano and if that move for the Aussie doesn't come off, then a renewed effort will be made to sign Steven Davis from Fulham.

Insiders at Ibrox confirmed today that boss Walter Smith wants THREE new players for the midfield ranks before the transfer deadline at the end of the month, on top of Valencia kid Aaron Niguez who signed last night on a two-year loan deal.

The move for Edu has been on-going for some time. Smith has been tracking the player for months and has spoken to various US contacts, including Toronto boss Maurice Johnston.

Edu is recognised as one of the best young players to emerge in the States and has already attracted Premiership interest for his performance at international level, and he was voted MLS newcomer of the year in 2007.

Chief executive Martin Bain was holding contract talks with Mendes after he flew north this morning. And he is also awaiting an answer from Palermo on Bresciano.

As Rangers attempt to keep several options open, there has been further dialogue with Fulham over Davis. And sources say they are confident either Bresciano or Davis will come on board.

Rangers also say they backed away from the Glenn Loovens deal after it became clear the player wanted to play Champions League football at Celtic.

A £2.5m fee for a player in the final year of his contract was something Rangers would not match, but a centre-half will still be pursued.

Meanwhile, Rangers host Hearts tomorrow, and assistant boss Ally McCoist said: "It will be a tough game because you don't always know what you are going to get with Hearts."

Portsmouth have accepted an offer from Rangers in the region of £3m for midfielder Pedro Mendes.

The 29-year-old Portuguese travelled to Glasgow today to discuss personal terms with the Ibrox club.

Twice capped for Portugal, Mendes moved to Fratton Park from Tottenham in January 2006, having previously been with Porto.

Rangers are short of options in central midfield, with skipper Barry Ferguson currently sidelined by injury.

just what our midfield need could be a quality signing

lets hope these transfers go through , dont know much about bresciano but i think mendes could do a decent job and davis has already proven he can.lets face it i dont think they could be worse than the dross thats there at the moment.

lets hope these transfers go through , dont know much about bresciano but i think mendes could do a decent job and davis has already proven he can.lets face it i dont think they could be worse than the dross thats there at the moment.

Agreed maybe we can then offload mcCulloch and daily

pedro mendes signs for Rangers

yeehaa a creative midfielder at last:Cheers:

Aaron Niguez joined his new team-mates for the first time this morning as Rangers limbered up for this weekend's clash with Hearts at Ibrox.

The Spanish playmaker, on loan from Valencia, is expected to go straight into Walter Smith's squad for the first home match of the season.

SCOTLAND legend Joe Jordan today told Rangers fans they have a direct replacement for crocked skipper Barry Ferguson in the shape of Pedro Mendes.

Portsmouth first-team coach Jordan was gutted when he discovered Portuguese star Mendes was today on his way north to complete a £3million move to Ibrox.

But he reckons Walter Smith has finally landed the man who can step into the boots of Ferguson as he recovers from the ankle operation that has sidelined him until November.

Jordan said: "Pedro is the type of midfielder who controls a game. He never hides. He likes to get on the ball, looks for possession and he never wastes it either. He has great awareness. He makes the team tick.

"He isn't a prolific scorer, but he has got a great shot and when he scores it is usually from about 25 yards out. His goals are usually very important. He is very much a big game player.

"Pedro has been a success in Portugal and a success in England. I am sure he will do well up in Scotland. Sure, Rangers are a massive club, but he can handle the pressure of playing at a big club. He can handle the Old Firm match."

Jordan added: "His performances and crucial goals, at a time when we were really struggling to stay up, helped to keep us up in the English top division. He had an immediate impact with us and I'm sure he will do that with Rangers.

"I know the manager (Pompey boss Harry Redknapp) didn't want to sell him. It is a bit of a blow that he has gone."

Last edited:
Aaron Niguez joined his new team-mates for the first time this morning as Rangers limbered up for this weekend's clash with Hearts at Ibrox.

The Spanish playmaker, on loan from Valencia, is expected to go straight into Walter Smith's squad for the first home match of the season.

is walter a fecking beggar the same as mark mcghee why dont they buy him

is walter a fecking beggar the same as mark mcghee why dont they buy him

Rangers have got the option to buy him after 2 years for £2.2m

my point was mcghee does not want to sell to old firm but is happy to ask for short term loan deals from them.

mcghee is right selling to old firm only weakens his teams chances but sometimes he will be overuled by chairman webster could be agood move but if he couldnt afford kennedy cant see it happening.maybe walter could throw in boyd and swap for motherwell defender{ paterson?}

He was greetin like a big wain threatening to quit if motherwell sold any of his players but let McCormack leave.

if he sells then he'll have money to buy players and not have to juggle things every six months.

He was greetin like a big wain threatening to quit if motherwell sold any of his players but let McCormack leave.

if he sells then he'll have money to buy players and not have to juggle things every six months.

maybe mccormack had a get out clause they seem popular now .

Back