R4 III Revolution

steve247

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ok to state the obvious i am a newby and i am here to get help. I have an R4 III Revolution card I bought off the net for my ds lite. I guess you would say the software i am using is R4 Kernal 3.13 (not sure if this is the correct terminology) I have several old roms that play fine on the card. I have tried to download some newer games like toy story 3 and they do not seem to load. All I get is a blank screen. I have seen all kinds of info about running patches on the .nds file and have no idea what this means. Can someone lend a hand by either explaining a few things to me or pointing me to a thread that may help?

thanks in advance,

Steve

Probably buried in the stickies up above, but hav a look here

http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/

Download the newest version of the software you need, make a back up of any files that aren't .nds or .sav and any other folders, then bung the new folders in on top and overwrite. Actually, just back up the whole card, then throw the new files on top, you can always just rewrite em back if it berks up.

Just to explain, .nds are the games, .sav are the save files for the games, everything else is what does the magic. Replace tha=e old files with the new files should make it work.

Worked for me!

Last edited:
clinkers,

i understand the sav files and .nds files but that is about it. i am thinking that the software that i am using is not new enough for the new games. can i use diff software? i just downloaded wood r4 the new version and put the root directory on my card but nothing happens. I guess i don't know which software to use. thanks again in advance,

steve

I think wood only works on original r4 cards there is a clone version for other cards. remember to make a folder to put games in, if you are trying it'

so you should have only 3 things on display "_DS_MENU file, games folder and rpg folder" or whatever clone version is

maybe i am asking the wrong questions. when new games get released such as toy story 3 i keep seeing people saying they don't work. then i see all these answers about running different patches on them.

I am not sure if my card is an original r4 card or a clone.

I only know how to put the software on it that the directions told me.

Any game that seems to be out for a while works.

It seems they release new games that have all kinds of issues.

How do I learn more about this stuff.

thanks in advance,

steve

that's the problem with r4's that many fakes, clones, firmware issues newer makes of cards seems to be the way to go. but quite new to this myself. so mostly trial and error only found out about wood software because my 3 kids have old r4 cards and I did a search and found this,

New users guide to setting up Wood R4 - GBAtemp.net

I have an r4 gold christmas se card and can only get old games to work on that.

sorry can't be more of a help.

So does wood R4 play newer games? If i have an r4 III revolution am I stuck with just playing older games? I am just trying to figure out if i should spend a lot of time trying to figure all this out or just be happy with what i have and not worry with it.

thanks again,

steve

Back