Quit Smoking

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
After a failed attempt last year where I only lasted 11 weeks I have decided to try again.
I was always waiting for the "right time" to try again, but it doesn't exist. The only time is now.
I am not bothering with NRT therapy again. I know it works for some but I now realise I am a nicotine addict so taking regular doses of the very drug I am addicted to is unlikely to cure my addiction.

A friend stopped without any problems after reading Allen Carrs book, "The easy way to stop smoking". I have read it this morning and its' an interesting read.
Uploaded it to Rapidshare for anyone else who wants' to kick the habit.

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting.

i just stopped. made a deal with the wife i would - and she bet me. So i did. just went cold turkey.

sometimes when stressed i fancy one but it's over a year ago now - i won't go back on them. Not even a single draw - thats the kicker - don't even let yourself have 1 little bit - nothing. not a drag. it's like a mental barrier for me that i've physically not even let 1 cig touch my mouth. even been on nights out with the boys and it's not bothered me when they smoke.

Good luck this time mate and am gonna look at that book as i am also seriously gonna have a go aswell.
I am not looking forward to it but a really want to knock it on the head and a would look stupid puffing away on ma new mountain bike.lol
A hope you do it mate and keep us posted please.

After a failed attempt last year where I only lasted 11 weeks I have decided to try again.
I was always waiting for the "right time" to try again, but it doesn't exist. The only time is now.
I am not bothering with NRT therapy again. I know it works for some but I now realise I am a nicotine addict so taking regular doses of the very drug I am addicted to is unlikely to cure my addiction.

A friend stopped without any problems after reading Allen Carrs book, "The easy way to stop smoking". I have read it this morning and its' an interesting read.

I have never smoked (well not seriously anyway) but I am always on at my parents to quit, so I will forward that link to them.

You should keep all the money you would have spent on cigs to 1 side. Watch it mount up, then blow it on something frivolous as a reward. I know thats what I would do, just to give a bit more incentive.

Good luck with it.

good luck m8
ill be 2 years stopped on november 19th
used the champet tablets for 3 days and that was it.

Best of luck with it :)

I'm off them 17 years since february, gave up cold turkey. I had tried acupuncture, nicorette and tablets before that, none of them worked for me. You really have to want to do it, if you don't really want to nothing will work.

It gets easier after a few years, it took me about five i think to get over the craving.

good luck m8 hope you manage to do it this time round

i would love to give up, but i get stressed to easierly and end up havein a fag or breaking something

i will try again though as the kids keep goin on at me to quit and i no longer smoke in the house now as its not fair on the rest of the family , so i do go quiet a while without a fag now adays

keep us posted m8

how long you been a smoker for???? ive been smoking 20 yrs now need to STOP

bfg

BEEN STOPPED NEARLY 5 YEARS, USED "CYBAN" FROM DOC'S. WORKED A TREAT AND COS ITS AN ANTIDEPRESSANT AS WELL I FELT GOOD ALL THE TIME
oooppps sorry for caps

BEEN STOPPED NEARLY 5 YEARS, USED "CYBAN" FROM DOC'S. WORKED A TREAT AND COS ITS AN ANTIDEPRESSANT AS WELL I FELT GOOD ALL THE TIME
oooppps sorry for caps

i tried stopping loads of times..patches not work .. ^^ that zyban did not work either,,

The only thing that worked is them electric cigs !! SUPERB ...
i used one for 2 months non stop .... then i stopped !
been stopped 2 years now woohoooo

The book worked for me.

Every time I lit up a cgt, the Mrs would smash it down on my head. :)

Nah, really, it's worth the £5 to buy it, even if you manage to cut out 20 cgts, then it has paid for itself.
You need to be open and accept what he writes though.

Thoroughly recommend.

i stopped 7 yrs ago with allan carr book.
I read over 2 weeks smoking whilst reading finished the book and stopped the next night.
You need to want to stop but the book certainly worked for me.
It took a couple yrs later before i gave the piece pipe up though ,i do miss that

3 years ago this july the first just gone, promised my boy i would on my 30th and did, all in all in 3 years ive had about 5 or 6 ciggies, most of those where shortly after i gave up, when drunk or arguing, although probably both.

the last one i had, even though smashed i promised myself that i wouldnt smoke again, chest felt horrible next morning.

now i`m right, been well over two years without a single one, will never smoke again, only times i miss it is in the morning if i get a whiff of one, really miss the morning fag...

main downside is ive put shitloads of weight on, was 12 stone, now 15+

got me weight bench going though now, so it helps.

went practically cold turkey, but missus got me a load of extra strengh nicorette gum , they where cheap, and despite me being a low end smoker (around 10 a day) these where like chewing 20 capstans in one go, so once a week lol i`d have half of one.

more phsycological than anything, and tasted rank, after a few weeks i just didnt bother.

hardest part is in stages, 1st day, then 1st week, then 1st month and then first 6 months, after that the big test for me was having a drink, once you can have a beer without a fag your right.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I will return to this thread when a reasonable time has elapsed.
Finding it difficult at the moment as pc problems are stressing me out, having to go for little walks, lol.

Ive tried a few time to stop - I did manage a year once but still went back to them!!

I have tried all of the methods - patches - gum - zyban and champix and group therapy. They all help but they all have drawbacks - as already mentioned I think the nicotene replacements just prolong the agony - like giving a heroin addict more heroin but in controlled doses. The zyban was weird and put me into rages. Like that feeling when you really want a ciggie but you cant get to the shop or you're skint but 100 times worse. I could literally feel my blood boiling!! The champix are very good but they used to make me feel sick about 1/2 hour after taking them. It soon passed and they definitely helped. The group therapy thing was in conjunction with the other methods and having your carbon monoxide measured weekly was a good incentive but the courses only seem to last about 6 weeks and the craving is still there - sort of about that time when the craving gets its second wind if you know what I mean!!

The last attempt I made a couple of years ago was going fine for about 3 months until someone pointed out how much weight I had put on. I rarely use scales so I couldnt tell you how much I gained or even how much I weight right now but once someone said it I could see the difference in the mirror!! I thought after 3 months Ive gained and im pretty active - whats going to happen in a few years time when I stop playing sports?

My advice to anyone would be to go to your gp - get on a smoking cessation course - even if only to get the other aids on the nhs. Be prepared to gain some weight and organise an exercise plan to combat this and only stop if you are 100 % ready to quit otherwise your brain will make your body crave even more!!!

I will stop one day - but probably when the kids are grown up and my stress levels drop a bit!!! But good luck anyone trying!!

Ive tried more times than i can remember to stop,did manage one time to stop for 13 months,but as always found myself back on them. I dont think non-smokers understand the grip that smoking has on you, i couldnt stop smoking when the kids where born(incentive enough)then last year doc told me to stop instantly as my blood pressure was way way through the roof,still puffing away,even 20yrs of the wife nagging was not enough,my sis (smoker) has just had a heart attack and i still puff away,add to that, the fact i have a morbid fear of dying(lol dont we all) why cant i stop ?
Anyway been told this Alan Carr book is worth a read,so downloaded it and will have another go at stopping,wish me luck ,i think i will need it.

Back