Quickie

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
OK I'm trying to get decent speeds from torrent with now joy at the mo.

My setup a dsl modem connected to a net gear router both of which seem to have firewalls.

OK first question.

Instead of forwarding ports to the router then to the computer could I remove the firewall from the modem or disable it ?

Is this done by disabling it in the screen shown as it has an option on it to disable ?

Thanks ;)

I would not think disabling NAT (Network Address Translation) will turn of your firewall.

Disabling NAT will more like stop al your other PC seeing the internet...

The best way is port forwarding , that is if your router supports it . The other option is to look for dmz on your router this not the best idea but it will make the computer with the ip you select wide open so make sure you have a good firewall on your system

Hi I managed to speed up my torrents by setting up virtual servers for all of the ports I wanted to use. I have an orgeo modem with NAT and firewall enabled and on the PC I have the basic free zone alarm installed. Not only do I get fairly decent download speeds but I also managed to get a full stealth rating on shields up. Hope that helps.

I fogot to mention that I also use a wireless router and I had to disable the firewall on that as having effectively 3 firewalls on at the same time caused loads of problems so the steps I took were ..
(1) disable the router firewall
(2) install zone alarm on the PC (best to have it on all pcs connected. I also tried Zone Alram Pro but I couldnt configure it to work as I wanted so went back to the basic free one)
(3) set up virtual servers for ports 6881 - 6889 (forwarding the ports to the IP address of the pc you want to use)

Once that was done I did the check on Shields up and ran the test there to make sure I didnt have any open ports.

dave-iow said:
I fogot to mention that I also use a wireless router and I had to disable the firewall on that as having effectively 3 firewalls on at the same time caused loads of problems so the steps I took were ..
(1) disable the router firewall
(2) install zone alarm on the PC (best to have it on all pcs connected. I also tried Zone Alram Pro but I couldnt configure it to work as I wanted so went back to the basic free one)
(3) set up virtual servers for ports 6881 - 6889 (forwarding the ports to the IP address of the pc you want to use)

Once that was done I did the check on Shields up and ran the test there to make sure I didnt have any open ports.

how do u go about setting up the virtual servers m8 ???

I guess it depends on your modem really. I use an orego ASR 8000. You need to access your modem controls and in my firmware control panel there is the option for virtual server and thats where you put the data in. I dont have any experience of any other modems so cant really help any more on that one.

dave-iow said:
I guess it depends on your modem really. I use an orego ASR 8000. You need to access your modem controls and in my firmware control panel there is the option for virtual server and thats where you put the data in. I dont have any experience of any other modems so cant really help any more on that one.

Cheers dude, will have a look when it lets me in..lol :)

use port forwarding on your router to forward tcp ports 6881-6889 to your pc.
Your modem shouldn't need to forward specific ports to the router, it should pass everything to it, then the router should deal with NAT, firewalls, and port forwarding.

Your torrent client might need some settings tweaking to get the best results.
More help can be found at h**p://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html

hope that helps

Back