quick wi fi question

allroad

Inactive User
Reaction score
does the main computer need to be connected via network cable to wirless adsl router or can it be connected wirelessly via a pci wireless card also if connected to 1mb adsl will the 1mb connection suffer and become slower if the main comp is connected via wirless

allroad said:
does the main computer need to be connected via network cable to wirless adsl router or can it be connected wirelessly via a pci wireless card

The main computer does NOT need to be connected up using wires. But its better if you have it connected using wires. You may notice, at times, your connection will drop using wireless equipment or may be you wanted to change settings on the Router, its better to have a direct connection.

allroad said:
also if connected to 1mb adsl will the 1mb connection suffer and become slower if the main comp is connected via wirless
Not really, your may notice at times the speed drop slightly (e.g. when the Microwave is switched on or when your DECT phone rings), but on a general note, the wireless connectivity shall always try to give you the maximum connection speed that is available.

One thing to note though, having a wireless connection does NOT provide you the best connectivity 24/7. There is a higher chance of network performance dropping, loosing connection with wireless then having a wired up solution.

The distance between the wireless router and the main computer also has a great part. If the distance is not that much, not going through walls, not sitting next to a DECT phone, then you shall probably have the optimal solution. But otherwise performance tends to dither.

cheers kms btw i was in pc world the other day and noticed belkin wireless routers with the 54g protocall but they claimed it to be twice as fast again offering 125kbps anyone herad of this

Yeah I've seen that on the new Linksys 54gs what we have allroad it's now out with a "Turbo" option apparently it doubles the speed you can transfere file between machines but they're twice the price of the normal 54g :(

Not sure m8, I'll have a dig about ;)

Just had a look on the linksys site Paul and what I can make out it's hardware that gives the speed boost (it says up to 35%) so I doubt by flashing it will do it :( I'm just about to download the latest firmware for the 54g I'll let you know if it makes any difference m8, what version firmware you running at the momment ?

Heres the new Router with the speed booster looks a good piece of kit again

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=610

allroad said:
ffs as soon as you buy something its outta date
I Know m8 it's bollox, I'm just about to give in and upgrade the PC, that feckin pacific assault has seen to that....lol... mind you it's been a while since I upgraded I've been nursing this P111 960mhz through for a while now, with all these new games it's just about obsolete :( been a cracking computer though only paid £375 for it 2 years ago and that was with a brand new 17" Dell monitor, hope I can get the equivelent of today's pc for that kind of money

allroad said:
feck dave you'll be lucky
I know i think I'm gonna have to build one this time to keep the costs down, only thing is I've never liked anything but intel chips and they are quite expensive, I've seen a few of the guys on here going for the amd 3000 chips are they any good now days ?

Back