Quick help would be appreciated

silvershadow21

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,
looking for some quick help and advice here.

Offered to fix someone else dbox today & ran into a couple of problems.

they had an older version of sportster that was losing channels, and i flashed my own sportster 1.75 uk version onto the box,
everything seemed to go ok, until the box starts to boot up, then it just goes off at the last minute.
I managed to connect to the box again ftp via the computer to a try another image which i again placed in the temp folder, but the problem is, if the box wont boot up in the first place, how can i
write the flash file

Cannot work this one out

any quick help would be appreciated

cheers

Tom

Use IFA for flashing.
For the ftp method a working image on the box is the precondition.

Why would I need a null modem cable connected ?

the image i flashed on had already went thru the full process & then dbox then rebooted.
i Pressed power on & you get the array off numbers etc, it starts to boot up and you get the sportster logo and the all the image info starts
going along the screen, then just as its about to load, it goes into standby mode

confusing

If the image is not fully starting you cannot use the ftp method anymore.

mgb said:
Use IFA for flashing.
For the ftp method a working image on the box is the precondition.

Sorry mate, i am slightly confused here.

The image that was on the box was working but it was starting to lose channels, so i though i would flash another.
The one that i was flashing i actually put on my own box last night with no problems

sorry if i am confused with your reply

use a nullmodem cable and ifa as if your box is not booting then it hasnt got an ip address it doesnt need one if you use a null moden cable and ifa as ifa gives it an ip via the null modem comm if you do it this way you should have no problem flashing a new image across

as for the image working on your box but not on your mates on the boxes ive played around with ive came across this on a nokia 2x it just didnt like certain images but ive stuck sporster pro on it and it loves it no freezes at all sometimes needs a few mins between boots tho but i think thats a chip problem more than image related

Last edited:
Ok mate,
thanks for the advice,
the only problem is, i dont have a null moden cable on me only a crossover.

Is ther any method you can get away without using a crossover cable.

I was hoping to try and get this fixed this evening

And one last question.

Can this be fixed ?

i am in a bit of a panic over this

cheers

no if you use the null modem cable it shouldnt go into standby and the only way to sort this is to use a null modem cable from my experience

@silvershadow21
Its also possible to use IFA without a null modem cable, but if something went wrong you don't see whats happen.

it is but i doubt it will work as you dont have ip on the box if the image isnt working
get yaself a null modem cable its always the safest way to flash an image as you can see whats going on and if there is problems you can always create a boot log and post it in the forum and someone will be able to tell you where and what the problem is from that.
hope this helps tell ya mate to chill it can be fixed you just need the null modem cable

@jimbojambo
ifa assigns it own ip and takes over the boot process so it will work
without a nullmodem cable
but as you say its always advisable to have a null modem cable aswell
to see whats going on.

One thing if someone could answer this.
When your using IFA do you have to worry about the ip address of your dbox and stuff, like the way you would, if you were using the FTP method and changing the ip address on your PC

cheers

as i said above ifa assigns its own ip and takes over the boot process.
you need to disable all antivirus and firewalls.

You cannot flash via your cable modem.
Select your pc network card inside IFA.

Back