Questions, questions, questions

Buccaneer

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,
I have an old technomate (not sure of the model) motorised dish and several defunct cards, cams and programmers. Now that the cams appear to be obsolete I had convinced myself that this was a good thing as I watched too much tv anyway. However; the lack of footy and the odd film has persuaded me that maybe I need to update. The spiderbox seems to be the tool of choice for most but I must admit to being quite confused by the kit. I would be grateful if anyone could answer the following questions ( I am aware that most of them will seem obvious or could be found in stickies etc. so if you wish to inform me of this fine)

Does the receiver need to be permanently connected to a network
computer or can it be connected independantly?

The broadband in t north is a bit slow will it be ok?

I can get most sats between 5W and 30E (with the exception of Nilesat) but my reception is not great due to house position , will I get plenty of channels and Saturday footy?

Will the receiver be ok for freeview HD (BBC/ITV etc) on 29E?

With cams having had their day is it worth buying the 9000Hd when the 7000 just lacks a couple of cam slots?

Is it possible to record programs on the receiver?

If anyone can answer these questions I would be eternally grateful then if I buy one I shall really be a pain!

Cheers all

Bucc

hi and welcome to dw! now for the questions..

1. YES, the spider needs a permanant connection to a router/broadband connection to make use of the gift and service+ servers

2.YES, the main satellites are 19e/16e/13e/1w and 30w so you will get 90% of whats available via the gift/service+ and will get you epl/movies ect

3.YES, the spiderbox will be fine for the fta "freesat" channels at 28.2east

4. its up to you m8, if you can afford it the go for the 9000hd as you never know what the future brings in this game

5. YES, you can use a usb stick for basic recording functions or a seperate 500gb/1 tb external hdd via the usb connection also

lastly there is a recent patch for the technomate 1000/3000/5000/6000/7000 series recievers that opens bulsat@39east if you have access and there are quite a few channels on other sats aswell. bis-tv@5w/arqiva+svt ect@5e/rai,globo,mezzo,equida@13e, sic int@16east and around 25 b.i.s.s channels on the sats between 42e and 22w. so the technomate recievers are far from useless although thats what people on a certain forum want everyone to believe. any questions just ask as the guys on here will help you if they can. regards mdt

regards mdt

Last edited:
Thanks mdt, your answers generally confirm my thinking. Bulsat on 39E is impossible for me (unless I knock down a cliff) so I shall probably go for the 9000.
My one concern is the lack of broadband speed and how that will affect streaming. If the BBC iplayer is anything to go by then SD is fine but HD unwatchable.

Thanks for your help

So I guess the only other question is the legality of this kit. I am guessing that some criminal mastermind is making a fortune out of this, sex/drug trafficking and white slavery but hey so long as he doesn't go whaling, kill any orangs or oil-up California - I'm ok with it. I am also guessing that the underfunded police in broken Britain may have bigger fish to fry. So what the hell - Cheers all

So I guess the only other question is the legality of this kit. I am guessing that some criminal mastermind is making a fortune out of this, sex/drug trafficking and white slavery but hey so long as he doesn't go whaling, kill any orangs or oil-up California - I'm ok with it. I am also guessing that the underfunded police in broken Britain may have bigger fish to fry. So what the hell - Cheers all

im sure it goes without saying

viewing any tv without a valid subscription is illegal

If you think this why did you have a Technomate and cards, cams and programmers and why join forums like this!!!!!!!
Just join S£££££££Y and get all you need on TV.

Back