Question to Avid Cyclists

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting a bike (MTB), mainly for exercise and losing a bit of weight as there are a few trails /cycle paths near me. I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I've pretty much decided on what I want.

The problem I'm having is that because we are near the end of season (which is good for me from a cost perspective), trying to find what I want in the right size is proving difficult. I also appear to be 'between' bike sizes, so it's creating a bit of consternation (and overthinking on my part), so the question is really one of size *cough*;

I'm looking at CUBE Aim range, Pro/Race/SL (black/yellow / black/red or grey/blue) and I appear to be in the top end of the M/18" frame bracket (Height 177cm / 5'10, Leg 82cm / 32.5'). Different sites seem to offer different advice based on my stats and I really don't get the detailed geometry on cubes site.

e.g. Mountain Bike Size Guide | Rutland Cycling - states Medium/Large, but Tredz shows ideally Medium, but these are generic.

1565539546712.png

I also found on a few cycling forums that Cube bikes size up small

1565540937349.png

1565540871611.png

I've found the AIM Pro/SL in the colour I want for a reasonably good price, but they only have them in the 19"/29er and stupidly to get it in 18"/27.5 it's about £150 more expensive from another supplier (where I can't get discount)

Am I going to notice that much difference ride/stance wise? If' I plumped for the 19/29er am I going to ride thinking it's too big for me?

Cheers

Attachments

• 1565540903906.png
    1565540903906.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Best bet is to go try one for size if possible,different manufacturers have different sizing.
Problem might be if you go with a large frame you may end up over reaching to the bars as the top tube length may not not suit your upper body,this would become uncomfortable after a while. This can be sorted by shortening the stem etc but you've just bought a bike and you're having to spend on it to suit you.
If you go medium,the only thing you'll probabley have to adjust is the seat height which won't cost you anything.

Best bet is to go try one for size if possible,different manufacturers have different sizing.
Problem might be if you go with a large frame you may end up over reaching to the bars as the top tube length may not not suit your upper body,this would become uncomfortable after a while. This can be sorted by shortening the stem etc but you've just bought a bike and you're having to spend on it to suit you.
If you go medium,the only thing you'll probabley have to adjust is the seat height which won't cost you anything.

Thanks. I'm planning on taking a trip to Formby Cycles at the weekend, they have them but they are overpriced in comparison to online. When I spoke to them the other day they did initially advise me to get the 19" frame as there isn't much difference between the two, but as you've said I don't want to be in a position that I'm uncomfortable /reaching.

The place I had earmarked for both the 18 and 19 has sold out of the smaller frame in the last week alone, so I'm just getting a bit concerned I will end up with nothing!

why not go to halfords and ask for more information about frame sizes for you height

You can get this to heighten the head set if you have to ...

Hope Space Doctor Headset Stem Spacer Pack - Multiple Colours

Fleebay

Iv got a AIM Pro/SL and its a nice bike 19 and and 5'5 lol

Attachments

• 20180718_190613.jpg
    20180718_190613.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Plus get this as well , will save you a fortune in the end if you use your bike a lot

Bike Chain Wear Indicator Tool Bicycle Maintenance Stretching Detector Cycling

Fleebay

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Use this guide then when you get riding tweak it for the first month with an Allen key.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=74...CAo&uact=5#kpvalbx=_CoxWXeL9KcWV1fAPoeCEmAU30

Cube bike ahhhh the one bike I regret selling some years ago identical to the one in the picture.

. Solid, not over heavy , last you years and not overally expensive. Wait a few months till all the summer guys start flogging their Apirl bikes there's some serious bargains to be had.

Attachments

• Cube-Acid-2008-LA.1.jpg
    Cube-Acid-2008-LA.1.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 25
If your not looking to spend a load of money, have a look at Decathlon. Their bikes get great reviews for the price point.
Cube bikes look good and have an OK spec. However if you have an issue, their customer service is dreadful and your LBS may not get paid for warranty works.

I've been looking at getting a bike (MTB), mainly for exercise and losing a bit of weight as there are a few trails /cycle paths near me. I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I've pretty much decided on what I want.

The problem I'm having is that because we are near the end of season (which is good for me from a cost perspective), trying to find what I want in the right size is proving difficult. I also appear to be 'between' bike sizes, so it's creating a bit of consternation (and overthinking on my part), so the question is really one of size *cough*;

I'm looking at CUBE Aim range, Pro/Race/SL (black/yellow / black/red or grey/blue) and I appear to be in the top end of the M/18" frame bracket (Height 177cm / 5'10, Leg 82cm / 32.5'). Different sites seem to offer different advice based on my stats and I really don't get the detailed geometry on cubes site.

e.g. Mountain Bike Size Guide | Rutland Cycling - states Medium/Large, but Tredz shows ideally Medium, but these are generic.

View attachment 126071

I also found on a few cycling forums that Cube bikes size up small

View attachment 126074

View attachment 126072

I've found the AIM Pro/SL in the colour I want for a reasonably good price, but they only have them in the 19"/29er and stupidly to get it in 18"/27.5 it's about £150 more expensive from another supplier (where I can't get discount)

Am I going to notice that much difference ride/stance wise? If' I plumped for the 19/29er am I going to ride thinking it's too big for me?

Cheers

TBH, I don't think there's much in it, either should have enough leeway to adjust to suit you. I'm 5' 11" and in a 19" frame, saddle has a couple of inches back/forward adjustment and plenty of height adjustment. If it's mainly trails I doubt it makes any odds, throw in some technical stuff and the smaller frame might make a difference - lower centre of gravity etc.

Had it delivered yesterday, so I just need to set it up properly when I have a bit to do so.

Thanks for your help guys, It's been appreciated and I'll surely look into some of the suggestions/guides

P.S. I looked at the Acid/SL and also at Decathlon (BTwin/Rockrider), and as a first(ish) bike, then I didn't want to go all out, but neither did I want to skimp too much, so had a view that If I ended up using it quite a bit, I'd look next year at upping the model. Ended up picking up the Aim Pro 2019 for £340, which I think is a decent deal.

Went out for my first ride at the weekend, just over the transpennine cycle path; jesus I was all over the shop balance wise, and it's taken me a bit to get use to the gears.

My daughter's also caught the bug now after seeing mine, so wants to come on bike rides with me. Picked her up a relatively cheap Rockrider ST100 today. Not the best but I can't complain for under £200. If she uses it quite a bit we'll see about something better :)

Went out for my first ride at the weekend, just over the transpennine cycle path; jesus I was all over the shop balance wise...

I used to be into biking in my teens and went for years without doing any. Then in 2008 (maybe?) I got another bike but I found I couldn't ride without using my hands as it would try to turn. I think it's because I didn't adjust it properly and maybe there was too much weight to the front, either that or it's newer bikes being a different geometry.

Not used that for a while either...

Decathlon bikes are ok for beginners, there normally quite well made compared to some of the lower end priced bikes.
Tip, the slower you go the harder it is to steer and keep your balance.

Not strictly true, the higher end Decathlon bikes can mix is with bikes twice the price. The problem is the brand, and looking “cool”.

Not strictly true, the higher end Decathlon bikes can mix is with bikes twice the price. The problem is the brand, and looking “cool”.

I was in Halfords today and they have the Carerra Vengeance Ltd on sale down to £280, In the sub-£500 price bracket, I was struggling to see much difference between that and mine. Not that I'm too bothered, but it did make me think.

To many 'cycling snobs' out there.
I was in Halfords today and they have the Carerra Vengeance Ltd on sale down to £280, In the sub-£500 price bracket, I was struggling to see much difference between that and mine. Not that I'm too bothered, but it did make me think.
Quality of parts,weight etc

Yip all about the weight and quality

Get a cheep bike it's heavy as fook lol

Try get the lightest for your buck. Best bet is read up pro reviews on budget MTB's.
I use to have a Diamondback some years ago, I loved the bike the fit but it was like having are Maude sat cross legged on the crossbar it was that heavy.
Do you need full suspension (front + rear suspension)?. Unless your going off track then no just front shocks will suffice this will lose a few kilo.
I'm not saying join the weight weenie club but just try to get a "lighter" MTB if you can.
It can be off putting if your bikes that heavy your out of breath pushing it out the shed.
Me ?, I've never bought new I always buy a decent quality bike second hand simply because theres always 1000's to choose from. Give it a month the spring/summer cyclist will be unloading their impulse buys.
I like Specialized bikes but that's me

If you really want to get the lightest for your money then build one yourself.I built this carbon framed bike for approx £450.That included a donor Boardman bike and a brand new unbranded carbon frame from China

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 7
Back