PSP UMD IS Not WORKING HELP

rajaster

Inactive User
Reaction score
HI,

My psp is a PSP-1003 with 3.5 version Firmware on it and recently the UMD has stopped working. WHen i put in a umd it doesnt even recognise that a disc is inside on top of the it whirs and clicks constantly and i can see the umd motor is constantly spinning(even when there is no disc in it clicks and whirrs), i can't see the laser light on and top i dont see it moving from left to right(or right to left?).

anyway i'm hoping someone can help me out and advice.. would a motor change solve the issue.. would upgrade of firmware help? its not a hacked PSP so i havent tried games from the USB so not sure if that would help although i am tempted.

Also lastly has anybody else experienced these problems? i've been on the llama tutorials and i've also opened a psp before to change the cover(not this one but a friends) would a new laser help or would it be the motor or lastly could the motherboard be dying as i've noticed it crash on me alot when i'm trying to browse webpages such as the bbc.

if this is in the wrong section then i apologise in advance.

thanks

H

could be laser on the way out. but you could also put custom firmware onto it then you wouldnt need to use the UMD again.
as its on 3.50 you'd need a pandora battery to get sutom firmware on it

Give Sony Exchange a call on 08705 998877

They don't ask for any reciepts so just tell them you have bought it within the last year and the'll arrange for an exchange (next day)

If it's the older phat one the the serial number must begin with FB followed by 7 digits ie FB1234567

Give Sony Exchange a call on 08705 998877

They don't ask for any reciepts so just tell them you have bought it within the last year and the'll arrange for an exchange (next day)

If it's the older phat one the the serial number must begin with FB followed by 7 digits ie FB1234567

If its not within a year though, I believe you have to pay £60. You can replace the umd yourself. There are loads of guides around. I believe Bro has also done this himself.

If its not within a year though, I believe you have to pay £60. You can replace the umd yourself. There are loads of guides around. I believe Bro has also done this himself.

They don't check though so his just got to tell them that he bought it within the last year regardless if its over a year, even if the serial dosn't start with FB you can just make one up

hi, thanks for the reply. I dont have the original charger as it was faulty so bought a cheap USB one from ebay. My psp has not even been used for a while would sony exchange it if there is no charger?.

I dont personally mind a little project to look into hacking the psp using the guides. I've heard about pandora batteries also but haven't had much time to look into them, i dont quite understand what they are except that i know that if you have one it means you can't brick your PSP(or if you do it can be rolled back).I'll look into the suggestions. i have a few good original games though so also wish to carry on using the UMD drive i know theres some cheap ones on ebay, but i'll see if i can exchange that PSP first.

Thanks

H

also i bought this off ebay a while ago and it had no serial.. I know the serial doesnt begin with FB though for the model BUT i still have the old PSP cover from my friends old cover and the serial shows thats it was an FB model. Could i get away with it using that serial and no charger?

Thanks

H

also i bought this off ebay a while ago and it had no serial.. I know the serial doesnt begin with FB though for the model BUT i still have the old PSP cover from my friends old cover and the serial shows thats it was an FB model. Could i get away with it using that serial and no charger?

Thanks

H

Yes just make up a serial starting with FB and then 7 digits, the exchange involves your faulty psp, charger and battery

think it is parcelline that do the exchanges for sony and the driver will have a sealed crate which he opens in front of you the you hand over your psp, charger & battery and then you will get back a reconditioned psp, charger and batter. The driver will not even check the charger that you hand over

i'll give it a shot tomorrow morning when i've got my PSP with me lol. thats just crazy funny if it works lol, save me a load of time/hassle.

Thanks

H

also do they not ask for proof of purchase, and if i return it with the USB charger will there not be any implications?

Thanks

H

also do they not ask for proof of purchase, and if i return it with the USB charger will there not be any implications?

Thanks

H

no they don't ask for your proof of purchase and do not require the usb charger just a mains charger would have to be returned for the exchange

so i need a PSP proper mains charger as i didnt keep the old one when it went bust :(.. any one got any spare to sell?

sorry tony, i should have said, i'm waiting on my order for a psp mains charger to arrive so that there are no hindrances when I call sony.

Shall call them on tuesday morning now. my PSP is not an FB its an FS? but i'm going to use the serial from my friends old case.

I'll give you a shout if its successful.

Thanks Tony.

H

sorry tony, i should have said, i'm waiting on my order for a psp mains charger to arrive so that there are no hindrances when I call sony.

Shall call them on tuesday morning now. my PSP is not an FB its an FS? but i'm going to use the serial from my friends old case.

I'll give you a shout if its successful.

Thanks Tony.

H

Thats the important thing is the serial, you can just make one up instead of using your friends also another thing worth pointing out is that the new slim psp's came into the shops around september 07 so when they ask when you purchased use any dates between May 07 and August 07

so when sony recieve the psp do they not check the serials and do they not keep the details of the customer so that they can charge after if the customer isnt honest?

so when sony recieve the psp do they not check the serials and do they not keep the details of the customer so that they can charge after if the customer isnt honest?

Yes they keep your details and they will only accept a max off 2 replacements by this method. The exchange is a straight swap faulty for reconditioned, my guss is that when it goes back to a warehouse it just sits on a shelve for months. I have personally swapws 2 PSP's and both of them were not 1003's and security seals broken.

not sure why Sony take this approach but is very good for their image

i bought a charger btw.. wassupposed be orginal.. guess what it turned out to be a copy sent from hong kong so i've been given a refund by the seller.. but trouble is it has european pins :(. hopefully they will accept that else i'm done.

thanks for the helps.

Back