Ps3 to play .mkv soon (maybe!)

if this happens would be amazing news as i have kept hold of all my hd films in Mkv format abt 400gig just incase this happens lol.
it's an interesting read tho, when does DivX 7.0 come out, as i guess it would be about 5 months later till the ps3 would have the update firmware, thats if they decided to do it.

Nice :)

Surely if they stay "DivX" compatible they have to include the new library files thus meaning we should be able to play the .mkv's othewise it would not be fully Divx capable...

Sweet tho :) Save having to convert to VOB/M2TS and chopping to 4GB chunk :)

moose

i dont think sony will have much of an option on this, if they want to stay divx certified, they will need to include it.

no idea when its released, in the not too distant future hopefully

Hope this happens :)

No doubt the 360 will follow suit, infact the 360 will probably do it 1st.

Hope this happens :)

No doubt the 360 will follow suit, infact the 360 will probably do it 1st.

yes. i wouldnt be surprised if microsoft announce they adding it next week. try and shift more consoles in europe for instance.

off topic here. but i was really surprised to see how quickly the ps3 is catching xbox360 in europe, thats if the figures that are being thrown around are accurate of course

its probably down to the PS3 being a bit more exciting than the 360.

I read recently that MS are planning to release a new SKU for a 60gb 360, and that this will challenge the PS3 direclty. I am not so sure how that would happen, but it would make the 360 a little more alluring than the PS3.

However, it does come down to the media center thing again, something that MS played with over both versions of the Xbox, where as the PS3 just slots into everything nicely.

i read that also. and i aint sure how its going to compete by adding more space. i dont know what to do with the 20gb one i have already got

I agree the PS3 is a more exciting system.

It has all these toys to play with and an internet browser. There is also the prospect of the coders finally unlocking the power of the CELL and showing us what the machine can really do.

Personally I'm a bit fed up waiting for the PS3 to reach top gear and I'm begining to wonder if it ever will.

I agree the PS3 is a more exciting system.

It has all these toys to play with and an internet browser. There is also the prospect of the coders finally unlocking the power of the CELL and showing us what the machine can really do.

Personally I'm a bit fed up waiting for the PS3 to reach top gear and I'm begining to wonder if it ever will.

do you really want it to hit top gear this early in its life. look at the ps2, it took a while to realise its potential. but look how good some of the games are now, compared to when it released. the ps3 aint been out that long, so there is plenty of life left in it yet.

It's still churning out games on a par with the 360, I want to see something special that's all.

oh, and I want it to be hacked, that's more important ;)

Watch that witchy, hes a 360 fanboi in disguise :p ahaahahaha /me waits for the witchity's responce, I have both as he does, I like them both, and I agree, the PS3 still has to come alive, but its getting there, it was only the other day I actually thought about going out and BUYING a game for it :p the 360 is a games machine, end of, thats it, where as the PS3 has much more promise, better media etc, just hurry up so I can play all my backups :p

The 360 is more than a games machine, it's a DVD player and a High Def media centre.

High Def WMV-HD play without any conversion at all as do SD-Divx ect.

I do love the 360, but only because it is a far superior machine ;)

I will never buy a PS3 game, I may consider buying a pre-owned title but only if it is a Sony exclusive.

lol :)

The only thing I'm a fanboi of is the Amiga and Commodore64 :)

Have you not bought any games for your PS3 mate?

I had one of those aswell mate but only until the next bus arrived and I sent my mum back to Currys to exchange it for a C64 like I told her ;)

To be honest I loved the Speccy, it was 'different' and the version of Bombjack was far better than the c64 version, the main reason I loved the C64 was the audio, I'm still a big fan of the SID chip :)

...talk about going off-topic!

lololol

I have F1 Championship edition, ridge racer 7 and a couple of others that came with it, I have the original 60 gig when they first came out, its beside one of my 360's, the others in the bedroom, I network with the misses and kick her ass on Race Driver on 360 :) I like them both, I had the PS1, have 3 PS2's so I guess I like the Sony, the kids rooms have the ps2's each with hard drives in :) I had the ZX81, and the Amiga 1200 with 80meg hard drive lol, class machine, going to a pub lounge each wednesday and xcopying loads of floppy disk games with about 3 additional a drives tagged on :) I have a few mega drives up in the attic somewhere. I like the 360, I stream my movies into the bedroom from my home pc, but mostly play games, the ps3 to be honest has been gathering dust for a while, but we are playing it again now

Back