PS3 Not reading Blu-Ray but playing BR Games ok

JohnO1234

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I got a PS3 (40GB) for a few quid off my m8, it wasn't reading any disks whatsoever other than DVD. I stripped it down to MB level and cleaned it all out including the laser which had dirt on it.

I put the thing back together and hey presto, the drive accepts PS3 Blu-ray Games and also Audio CD's again.

I then tried putting in a Blu-Ray movie and the disc icon just keeps on a spinning, it doesn't show up in the XMB under video. I have tried the System restore etc, doesn't matter what I do, it will not read the blu-ray. I will try another blu-ray only got one lol. (Days of Glory).

The other thing is the fan. It will come on at any time it likes and make lots of noise for ages. The machine itself doesn't seem to be getting that hot. My 80GB has been running in the front room for a few days without a peep!

Anyone any ideas on this or is the 40GB a known noisy sod!

JohnO

have you connected it to the net and downloaded the latest update ??

Ste

Hi M8, Thanks for the reply.

Yep it has latest update on it. Funnily enough I bought avatar on Blu-Ray earlier today, stuck it in and it plays great!!! Go figure lol

Anyway are the 40GB usually quite noisy PS3's when playing games etc???

Cheers,

JohnO

yes the older machines always can be quite noisy. its quite normal.

interms, of the discs not playing, not sure about that. when u opened it up, did it have a single lense in the bluray drive. im pretty certain the 40gb did have the single lense.

u could try and put the ps3 into diagnostic mode and try rebuilding the file system.

u do this by holding in the power button until it beeps a few times. do this when its in standby.

Hi M8,

Blue ray is now loading movies as well. I popped in a new one I bought today.

JohnO

Do you mean the blu-ray film or the machine.

Machine cost me £63 and the Avatar Blu-ray disc cost me £22 lol.

I didn't put a new drive in it. I just cleaned the lens. It was black and not red ;-)

JohnO

Back