PS3 HDMI Cable

stevedw

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Im thinking of getting a ps3 in the summer but was wondering how much do you need to spend on a hdmi cable to get excellent picture quality. ive seen some cable for nearly £100.

Also some people have said the controller feels light and plasticky, do you recommend getting an additional one or is the one supplied good enough.

ten pound in smyths toys m8
cheap as chips lol
u must have a hd tv i have a plasma
down stairs and a lcd upstairs
and its better quailty on lcd

sorry m8 the controlers a bit light
but a few hours play and its dead on

ten pound in smyths toys m8
cheap as chips lol
u must have a hd tv i have a plasma
down stairs and a lcd upstairs
and its better quailty on lcd

Thats good, i have a 32" samsung lcd in my bedroom. hopefully it will look great in Game Mode. Isnt there a noticable difference then between the cheap hdmi cables and the more expensive ones?

Cheap and expensive cables do have a difference but in general a cable around £10 mark does the job. I for one wouldn't pay more then £25 for one from what i hear.

I got a few for £7 that are excellent

Tenner thats all I paid for mine does the job. Mate has a expensive one same Samsung tv and Ps3 don't see any difference

hdmi is digital,so you will notice no difference in quality between the cheapest cable ie 2 quid or a 300 pound cable.the information goes in 1 and 0 so it either gets there or it doesnt,so once youcan see a pic on the screen via hdmi,then that the best quality you will get.only difference expensive cables make is if you are going over 15 foot as some information can be lost but not usually

Just make sure its a hdmi 1.3 cable, if its that standard any price will do.

hdmi is digital,so you will notice no difference in quality between the cheapest cable ie 2 quid or a 300 pound cable.the information goes in 1 and 0 so it either gets there or it doesnt,so once youcan see a pic on the screen via hdmi,then that the best quality you will get.only difference expensive cables make is if you are going over 15 foot as some information can be lost but not usually

that is not quite true i read about this somewhere will try finding it for you but in general who would pay more the £30 for a lead lol

i would say there is probably a slight difference between cables. i got mine as part of a bundle with the ps3 and i a m very happy with the quality i get.

i have seen hdmi cables that cost over £200, and im sure there are more expensive ones. but in my opinion, you would have to be seriously fooking off your head to pay that amout of money for a cable.

Last edited:
I use IXOS stuff - 60quid and loving it. There IS a difference - the really cheap (5quid) ones are not hdmi - they are knockoff copies , dosent mean too much now but the bandwith allocation works differently - there is a possibility that if new features are rolled out then the lead will simply not be compatible - take Panasonics VIERA link function, cheapies dont work with that as they use a part of the bandwith not known by cheapies and 1.2 HDMI (the licensed ones)

I agree with velvetjester up to a point - the optical leads are all the same fiber optic - they are a rip off. But the HDMI uses electrical conduction transfer over copper. The purity of the copper dictates its conductivity and therefore the ability to carry the information two and fro efficiantly. Obviously you are not going to get problems like pictures not appearing or the famous "freeview" mosaic effect. But you will have data errors none the less and whilst the panels will mostly compensate this loss intelegently it is still losing signal and therefore not as good.

When it comes down to it - if you have a cheap brand / screen >23" then you can go cheap and get away with it - otherwise get the best that you can possibly justify. A cable that costs 5 quid would have been bought from the supplier for 2.50 - the supplier buys fromthe brand @ .70p each - how good is the copper in that then considering copper is now @ 2000 quid per ton - It certainly will be 50/50 copper and nickel.

Secondary to all that is that the cheap leads are poorly sheilded to cut down on production and retail costs this will introduce artifacting from power cables and analogue connections like scarts.

So I say go for it - just remember the quality makes a massive difference over the 1st 50 quid spent but after that the incremental difference is small.

after all (had to put an analogy in here somewhere)
You wouldent buy a supercar and fill it up with low grade unleaded
You wouldent buy a dvd down the market and expect it to be as good as the retail copy

Its the way of it with these things - sure there are a lot of companies selling for way more than cost and some budget versions will out perform the 150 quid *ahem* Monster *cough* cables. But with the right advice and reasonable budget you can get the lead to do your kit justice.

This argument has been had for many, many years and im not here to fight for either side :Cheers: but I will say that the above is my personal and professional opinion.

hdmi

WHAT HI FI mag did a hdmi cable review last month on hdmi cables most most were over 50 quid but one the TECHLINK WIRES 1ST (IM) got 5 star top marks beating other cables and is only 15 pound http://www.avstorm.co.uk/:Cheers:

WHAT HI FI mag did a hdmi cable review last month on hdmi cables most most were over 50 quid but one the TECHLINK WIRES 1ST (IM) got 5 star top marks beating other cables and is only 15 pound http://www.avstorm.co.uk/:Cheers:

Nice find mate - looks like a good cable! worth pointing out that what hi fi star policy is affected by price of unit it may be 5 star for the price but head to head it can be beaten by one of the others. got to be worth a poke at 15 quid though!

I used to stock techlink and they give the retailer a free one for every 5 purchaced :proud: - but ditched them cos of the high rate of faulty cables coming back from customers and their silly crediting system.

There IS a difference - the really cheap (5quid) ones are not hdmi - they are knockoff copies

how can you knockoff hdmi,it is a standard that the lead must conform to ,its not a brand.
why try to get people to throw away their money on an ixus hdmi when it will make no difference under 5 metres.I have an ixus scart and its class but buying an ixus hdmi is a waste of money and not needed.

if you buy a cheap hdmi cable and dont get "sparklies"(interference,is noticible like sparkling) then replacing it with a 500 pound cable aint gona make 1 bit of difference.its digital,the signal either gets there or it doesnt simple as.if there is interference it will be noticible,if there isnt ,then its as good as any cable will get you.

bearing in mind i am talking about cables under 6 metres,where "sparklies" isnt common,only over good lenghts

Last edited:
how can you knockoff hdmi,it is a standard that the lead must conform to ,its not a brand.
why try to get people to throw away their money on an ixus hdmi when it will make no difference under 5 metres.I have an ixus scart and its class but buying an ixus hdmi is a waste of money and not needed.

if you buy a cheap hdmi cable and dont get "sparklies"(interference,is noticible like sparkling) then replacing it with a 500 pound cable aint gona make 1 bit of difference.its digital,the signal either gets there or it doesnt simple as.if there is interference it will be noticible,if there isnt ,then its as good as any cable will get you.

bearing in mind i am talking about cables under 6 metres,where "sparklies" isnt common,only over good lenghts

That is true but your initial point about not being any difference isn't true.

There is a wee bit of difference in quality even in short cables but like you say bigger cables are the ones where it is noticeable.

Like you i wouldn't advise anyone spending more then £25 on a HDMI if it is under 3 metres.

your ignorance is showing

If an HDMI lead is not made under license from these guys

HDMI Licensing, LLC
1060 E. Arques Avenue, Suite 100
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
USA

Then it is not an HDMI lead - it is a lead that is shaped and created exactly like an HDMI lead. The licenced leads are designed to a tolerence that will amongst other things carry CPRM / CPRM+ / 3PPBW with pleanty of room to shove info digitally both ways at 5GB/S for 1 - 1.2a and 340 MHz (10.2 Gbit/s) for 1.3+ a lot of the features are OPTIONAL so even if you do buy a licenced one - it still may not support your features. you even have copies branded with the logo of which is illegal.

With early DVD players there were a lot of out of standard "knockoffs" doing the rounds and when a DVD disc came out that was pushing (but still well within the standard set out by the DVD forum) like "the matrix" . The unlicenced players refused to spin them.

The only succesfull integration of an out of standard copy is Phillips DVD+R / +RW format when the DVD forum finalised the recordable formats they made DVD-RAM and DVD-RW for re-recordable and DVD-R for once only. Phillips designed the new format for two reasons:-
1 They wanted to launch the first affordable dvd recorders and this meant not having to pay any licencing to the DVD forum - therefore cutting the retail of each unit substantially.
2 They offer the format as a cheaper alternative to chinese manufacturers - therefore all original cheap dvd recorders were +rw.
result - Eventually the manufactuers all sign up in order to offer compatibility with whats already on the market.

As I quoted in my other post I have no interest in raising the debate of expensive leads / digital information there are hundreds of places for that and this isnt it, you have made your decision and that is fine but you wont change mine as I have spent years contemplating it. I believe this forum is for posting your opinion then letting people decide if its correct, there is no need to jump to the defence of your opinion everytime someone posts something to the contrary, let the viewer decide mate.
Telling people that they are wasting their money on a good product is simply bad advice. What happens when bluray adds a new feature that the out of spec leads dont support? Will you personally refund all the forum viewers that took your advice and went for the cheap lead?

p.s you are contradicting yourself with the length thing. you say that digital is digital and if it gets there then its perfect, but digital hdmi will travel all the way through cheap 20m leads and still get there so.... by your rational it should be perfect - so why isnt it - what does length matter if the picture if coming up and why should expensive cables work better than budget ones in this scenario but not under 5m

Last edited:
your ignorance is showing

If an HDMI lead is not made under license from these guys

HDMI Licensing, LLC
1060 E. Arques Avenue, Suite 100
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
USA

exactly what i said,it is a standard the lead must conform to,not a brand

Back