PS3 GTA IV almost certainly 630p

mxwizard

Inactive User
Reaction score
The PlayStation 3 version of Grand Theft Auto IV almost certainly runs in 630p.

Word spiralled from comparison shots by the same fellow responsible for outing Halo 3 as sub-HD, and the same chap who assists with our Face-Off screenshots before we show them to you.

However, Eurogamer's Face-Off compiler and resident big-brain Rich Leadbetter says that while the PS3 version may be a touch blurrier, it's not necessarily inferior. Far from it, in fact.

"It's worth noting that due to the post-processing effects the game employs (there's a serious amount of stuff being done to the raw frame), the PS3's lower resolution serves to mask a lot of the nasty after effects," said Leadbetter.

"For example, look at the dithering on the signs in the background on those shots. A bit ugly on Xbox 360, but smoothed and blurred away on PS3, presenting a generally nicer look."

Apparently the problem with pinning down the resolution previously was due to Rockstar releasing the bulk of its press shots on Xbox 360.

Look out for our full Grand Theft Auto IV Face-Off soon.

GTA IV is out today on PS3 and Xbox 360. You can buy it in shops, unless you queued up last night to get it, and lots of people did.

Source:eurogamer.net

it dus my head in all this nit pickin who cares wot it runs at long as youve got it and it works who cares i just cant wait for my copy only 4 days yo go

it dus my head in all this nit pickin who cares wot it runs at long as youve got it and it works who cares i just cant wait for my copy only 4 days yo go

LOL... if it does your head in then dont read the post ....simple innit ;) lol

lol hmmmmmm i bet your one of them people who sits in his room all night countin frame rates then gos online tryin to score points on the ps3 coz your obvusly a xbox fan boy lol face facts microsoft cant make hardware lol

lol hmmmmmm i bet your one of them people who sits in his room all night countin frame rates then gos online tryin to score points on the ps3 coz your obvusly a xbox fan boy lol face facts microsoft cant make hardware lol

Not even sure why I'm bothering to reply to your dumb ar*e comment mate to be honest with you but if it helps you rub your ego up then I'm cool with that and will lower myself to your level :)

Just for the record though I'm not overly bothered about frame rates myself and the post was merely to provoke conversation/chat and to offer the opportunity to people that do care about such things the chance to air their views... forums are for creative discussion aswell mate....they are not just for getting fixes and answers ;)

So because my avvy displays an xbox 360 that makes me an xbox 360 "fan boy" does it :err: I own both the xbox 360 and the Ps3 and think that BOTH consoles have their plus and minus points ...I've got better things to do with my time than come online trying to score points against the Ps3 and if you had been a member a little longer than a few days then you may have been around long enough to notice that I've never tried to do what you claim and might not have made yourself look so stupid in the process.

You didn't hear me saying sh*t like S*ny cant make hardware did you?... so you tell me who's sounding more like the "fan boy" you muppet.

Get a life mate ;)

??Mate, I’m sorry but what are you on about?? You calling mxwizard a xbox fan boy but guess what....unfortunately you're the one who sounds like a PS3 Fan Boy.......some of us own both consoles and their advantages and disadvantages have been discussed many times!!

microsoft cant make hardware?

Xbox, Xbox360 < don’t think you can class them as “software”

here we go again.....

LOL... dont worry moosie... not gonna happen mate lol. As mentioned above I dont go point scoring or swiping at the Ps3 and never have done ... you cant blame me for replying though given the needless comments can you.

Pratt comes to mind for some reason ???:banana:

... hum I wonder how many pixels where in midnight resistance on teh spectrum.. then maybe we can compare them to the C64 an get some real fights going :)

PS They have backed down now over on beyond3d and stated that it is 640p... woop-de-doop still looks and play awesome :D

LMAO, I read the first post by Wizard and thought to myself 'uh-oh, this is gonna cause trouble!' :)

@ Moosie, don't even try and compare the Speccy to the C64, the C64 had far better graphics and sound. ;)

Witchy2k1 = Commodore Fanboy and proud of it :)

Glad you see it coming mate cos I didn't lol. I don't even see the first post as point scoring against the Ps3 either :err: the post stated that the Ps3 version is far from inferior and even went on to say it generally had a nicer look lol...

However, Eurogamer's Face-Off compiler and resident big-brain Rich Leadbetter says that while the PS3 version may be a touch blurrier, it's not necessarily inferior. Far from it, in fact.

"It's worth noting that due to the post-processing effects the game employs (there's a serious amount of stuff being done to the raw frame), the PS3's lower resolution serves to mask a lot of the nasty after effects," said Leadbetter.

"For example, look at the dithering on the signs in the background on those shots. A bit ugly on Xbox 360, but smoothed and blurred away on PS3, presenting a generally nicer look."

I dunno... man tries to keep peeps informed and gets attacked by n00b... whats the world coming too :err: .... I reckon its those video games that are too blame :proud: lmao

Fanboy-ism mate, any negative comments are instantly jumped upon.

Fanboy-ism mate, any negative comments are instantly jumped upon.

No there not !! Jeez your such a fan-boy fan-boy :proud: LOL

Moose - proud Speccy owner (48K & +3 - disk based you know :>) proud Amiga owner (not Commodire honest!)

I sent my mum back to the shop when she walked in with a ZX Spectrum after i gave her clear instructions that it had to be a Commodore 64 :)

The man in Currys had confided in her and told her that they had sold out of the C64 and that the Sinclair Spectrum 48k was "just the same machine in a different case - they play the same games and stuff" he said.

I was a spoilt bastard. I started crying when i saw the Spectrum and refused to open it or even look at it. I made her get back on the bus and return it, she then went to Comet who had loads of C64's left :)

An hour later she walked in with with a big Comet bag containing a C64, a 1530 Datasette (this was the name of the C64 tape deck) and a terrible casette which contained 50 of the worst games of all time, I think the tape was called 'Cascade-50'.

My life was complete. :)

@ Moosie, don't even try and compare the Speccy to the C64, the C64 had far better graphics and sound. ;)

Witchy2k1 = Commodore Fanboy and proud of it :)

commodore fan boy here also. it wiped the floor with the speccy all day long.

lol touchy touchy dont ya nickers in a twist i didnt mean out by it , you just have that xbox fan boy vibe about you and i have both consoles to i do like the ps3 better for the record only thing better about the xbox in the online aspect in my view and maybe a game or 2 but same will be said for the ps3 in a few month

to a degree mate... its above SD but nowhere near full HD which is 1080p... Nothing wrong with the graphics though mate and even at 630/640p its definately not a clincher in as far as should you buy it or not because even that level the graphics are still great quality ;)

Back