PS3 Ethernet connection

karym6

DW Regular
Reaction score
It looks like the ethernet connection on my PS3 has broken somehow. I have just tried two different cat 5 cables to connect it to my switch and I am unable to get an IP address with either.

Has anyone else had this problem? I havent upgraded to either of the new firmwares yet, so I am on the last version. I am loathe to contact Sony support, I have a 60gb model and I am not convinced that they will be able to give me back what I give them.

Not heard of that m8, I understand where your coming from, I 2 have the original 60 gig all singing all dancing 4 usb ports etc, so I wudnt want it to go back for replacement if it didnt get fixed either. Short of saying format or do some kind of system reset so its back to the original setup when you first had it im not sure, thats the only thing I would do, then if that works its just a matter of re downloading any stuff u have bought from the store etc unless you have backed that up

Have you got a wireless setup, maybe try that, im kinda clutching at straws here

I just managed to get on to the wlan now, so I am getting the update. I will get this installed and try the wired connection again.

If that doesnt work, I have all my saves backed up, so can do a full restore if I need to - but I am hoping the update will kick start it into working again.

well, the new firmware didnt solve it either.

So, I hooked it straight up to my router and guess what? Got an IP in seconds. So it looks like my switch is on the way out. Not a surprise, cost me £3 of ebay a few years ago...

Not heard of that m8, I understand where your coming from, I 2 have the original 60 gig all singing all dancing 4 usb ports etc, so I wudnt want it to go back for replacement if it didnt get fixed either. Short of saying format or do some kind of system reset so its back to the original setup when you first had it im not sure, thats the only thing I would do, then if that works its just a matter of re downloading any stuff u have bought from the store etc unless you have backed that up

Have you got a wireless setup, maybe try that, im kinda clutching at straws here

think they would as 60 gb machines still available in some places seen them on amazon if not a new the should have recon 60s to swap over if under waranty

I would assume they would not replace it if I sent it in.

Thankfully, its not the console thats the problem - its the switch it connects to. A new one will be waiting on my desk tomorrow :)

Back