Projector's 3d ready or what ?

jaymc

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey people,

I am looking at getting a projector (optoma HD81) but I can see some are advertised as being 3d ready (optoma HD66, with lower spec only HD 720) and some it just doesn't mention 3d... I would of taught that any projector can shoot a blurry image and then when you put on the glasses it's 3d, I may be wrong but I know if you use nvidia stereoscopic 3d you can use it with any monitor or projector an stick the glasses on and you have 3d gaming galore!

Can someone shed some light on this whats the story will any projector be able to show 3d films ?

Jay

The projector can show 3D but only at 720p (which is what sky will be broadcasting 3D in I believe). Its uses active shutter glasses which you will need to purchase seperately.

The projector can show 3D but only at 720p (which is what sky will be broadcasting 3D in I believe). Its uses active shutter glasses which you will need to purchase seperately.
active shutter glasses are for samsung not sky
sky transmit in side to side 3d for samsung active and also for lg/sony etc passive sky 3D can be can be watched by both

I meant the project uses an active shutter system.

I realise that Sky 3D is independant of the technology used to display it. I was just trying to say that don't be too put off that the project can only manage 720p in 3D though I guess on a 100" screen you might notice between 720 and 1080.

Not sure is PS3 3D games are at 1080 or not.

Projectors use active shutters,you can also use xpand glasses(1type) which uses the dlink system which is controlled by the projector,this will be the way to watch sky once the companies release a device to make sky compatible.
Curreently no projector to my knowledge is compatible with sky.
you could record if you had facility and replay through projector but not a direct link to sky box.
I use the 3d vision system from nvidia which is excellent for watching bluray 3d movies and 3d gaming but if you go that route you need a reasonable system to run 3d.
Also pretty sure there is no 1080p 3d projector yet either and when there is they reckon it will be in thousands.
I got acer h5360 and the 3d bluray is stunning to me on 4 mtre screen

Projectors use active shutters,you can also use xpand glasses(1type) which uses the dlink system which is controlled by the projector,this will be the way to watch sky once the companies release a device to make sky compatible.
Curreently no projector to my knowledge is compatible with sky.
you could record if you had facility and replay through projector but not a direct link to sky box.

I thought the 3D signal sent out by sky over HDMI was compatible with any 3D system as the control information is in the signal. It needs the refresh rate and if the frame is a left or a right frame. Its then up to the display unit on how to deal with that signal depending on what 3D system is used ?

seemingly there is a box coming out to make it compatible using dlp link(signal in the broadcast) using xpand glasses but as it stands they dont work.
I phoned sky to test it and they asked me my model and said it wasnt compatible so wouldnt add 3d tv onto package.
Need to get a 3d tv serial number now

seemingly there is a box coming out to make it compatible using dlp link(signal in the broadcast) using xpand glasses but as it stands they dont work.
I phoned sky to test it and they asked me my model and said it wasnt compatible so wouldnt add 3d tv onto package.
Need to get a 3d tv serial number now

You think in this day and age that they would ensure that all 3D display systems would work with all 3D sources.

So can i buy the optoma hd81, have my eye on one cheap, will it work for 3d or must I get the hd66 (I'd rather get the higher spec projector if poss)...

Jay

better to check reviews.i remember looking at the hd66 but there was issues with 3d vision so thats why i opted for acerand glad i did as its a cracking wee projector with no/very little rainbow effect/ghosting

You think in this day and age that they would ensure that all 3D display systems would work with all 3D sources.

It really pissed me of when i found out i might have to shell another few hundred quid out for diff glasses.
I am hoping there will be a way to stream sky through pc using nvidia but there isnt much on it yet but its starting to roll.
Would have liked to see ryder cup 3d though

I'm sorry but that still doesn't seem to clarify will the optoma hd88 be able to show 3d ? it say's the hd66 is 3d ready but can I use the hd88 ??

Jay

I'm sorry but that still doesn't seem to clarify will the optoma hd88 be able to show 3d ? it say's the hd66 is 3d ready but can I use the hd88 ??

Jay

Well for starters i cant find an hd 81 or hd 88 on there website?
There is however an adaptor they are advertising on there site which allows all dlp projectors optoma make to be 3d compatible(only 1 on list to date more to follow).
As far as i know it is possible to change any dlp projector to 3d as what happened from the hd 65 to hd 66 was firmware.
I mailed optoma more than a year ago regarding this as i was going to buy the hd 65 but they didnt reply.
In my opinion if you want a 3d projector without waiting months for firmware update get a 3d ready one

Optoma EMEA: Projectors

Cheers chronoman,

I had the same problem on there website couldn't find it. I actually seen the thing your talking about the "3d-xl" here Optoma DLP Projector 3D-XL

But it's also confusing it say's "Amazing, fully immersive. life-size 3D projection is now possible in the home. The world’s first 3D projector adapter, the Optoma 3D-XL adapts existing DLP® projectors enabling them to display 3D." Sound's great...

But then goes on to contradict itself by saying it only works with 3d ready dlp projector's "The 3D-XL makes it simple for everyone, by enabling existing 3D Capable DLP® Projectors to support the leading types of 3D."

Think it only works with 3d ready projectors an converts the format of 3d.

Last edited:
Actually I think it may work if it converts the format of 3d that sky uses to something nvidia can deal with.

Back