Problem with scarts on tv

Stoomcoo

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have two scarts on the back of my tv
I have my dbox in one of them (av1) and my dvd player inthe other(av2)
Dbox works fine but when I select av2 to watch a dvd it is in black and white:confused:
any thoughts on this

I also have similar problems, although my tv has just one scart, so i bought a double adaptor for scarts, both box and dvd do not work, both seems to cancel the other one out. They work fine when plugged into the adaptor seperately. Any thoughts? It is pointless and frustrating to keep unplugging the one you don't want.

@stoomco

what happens if you swap the scart cable round (use dbox one for dvd and the dvd one for dbox) just in case it is faulty.

The other thing that can be causing it to go black and white is the fact that you have set the TV to recieve S-video feed but the dvd player is sending a standard feed or an RGB.

The 3rd thing that could be faulty is the av2 scart on your TV.
You need to do some process of elimination.

@nickm

if you got a cheap scart switcher, then thats what it will do, i had one....before i invested in a more expensive one

had a similar problem a few years back i swapped the scarts rounds and swapped one of the scarts for a gold scart lead and that sorted it out for me

The S-Video setting etc is the most likely for the black and white image from ur DVD to TV, most TV's will only accpet S-Video in one Scart, try swapping the scart sockets around so dvd in scart 1 dbox in2 or visa versa.

Having a cheap dual scart wont properly work when both units are on (maybe even on standby someimes) as scart switching works via a signal voltage on a certain pin, it can also tell the TV to be on Widescreen or 4.3 etc etc, so if both are sending the voltage thru saying 'Im on look at me' the tv will tell it to fk off.

The gold pins wont do buggr all, electrically they only offer extra protection from oxidising, and connectors dont normally go to rusty in ur tv! It's probably just a better quality scart cable inside, can make a big difference.

AlanFAT said:
The S-Video setting etc is the most likely for the black and white image from ur DVD to TV, most TV's will only accpet S-Video in one Scart, try swapping the scart sockets around so dvd in scart 1 dbox in2 or visa versa.

Having a cheap dual scart wont properly work when both units are on (maybe even on standby someimes) as scart switching works via a signal voltage on a certain pin, it can also tell the TV to be on Widescreen or 4.3 etc etc, so if both are sending the voltage thru saying 'Im on look at me' the tv will tell it to fk off.

The gold pins wont do buggr all, electrically they only offer extra protection from oxidising, and connectors dont normally go to rusty in ur tv! It's probably just a better quality scart cable inside, can make a big difference.

dumb question but would that not give me my dbox in black and white
Stewarty

I'm not too sure what the Dbox outputs on to, I think it can do RGB but I'm not sure having never had one. That but Definately does Composite

If It outputs RGB (I doubt it does Svideo but who knows)
The Other (non svideo) scart will accept it fina and show full colour.
If its just outputting Composite (it'll be in the settings somewhere) u will get full colour too, but RGB over scart is alot clearer and looks alot nicer.

So in theory, if the DVD Is in the right socket and is colour, the Dbox should work as long as its not outputting in S-video as well!

Hope that made sense dude!

AlanFAT said:
I'm not too sure what the Dbox outputs on to, I think it can do RGB but I'm not sure having never had one. That but Definately does Composite

If It outputs RGB (I doubt it does Svideo but who knows)
The Other (non svideo) scart will accept it fina and show full colour.
If its just outputting Composite (it'll be in the settings somewhere) u will get full colour too, but RGB over scart is alot clearer and looks alot nicer.

So in theory, if the DVD Is in the right socket and is colour, the Dbox should work as long as its not outputting in S-video as well!

Hope that made sense dude!
cheers for your help bud
I just tried what you said
results below
Dvd player to av1 is perfect
bbox to av2 sound but no picture (dbox set for rgb)

Set the D box for Composite and it should work, annoying it wont get the RGB, ur best bet then is to get a decent dual scart switcher for the AV in that works and switch between them when needed.

RGB is the best a tv can take until u get to vga/dvi etc

check the settings on the scarts on mine u can set them up to recieve s-video or pal or ntsc

set to pal see if that will sport it

Ahh, and don't forget to check that both scart leads are fully wired, if it was a crap one that comes with a tv or other appliance it could only be wired for audio + Compsite not rgb. Just a thought.

DavidH's point as a good one, the menu settings might let u chnge them, my tv isnt quite that good though!

The TV that I have only has 1 rgb scart (av1) the other scart is composite (av2). Yours might be the same.

Did you switch the scarts over at the telly ends or the unit ends?

If it's a cable problem and you switched them over at the appliances then they would still have a problem..
If you have the DVD player in AV1 and sound and vision are good, switch it to AV2 using the same cable and if it goes B&W or loses sound then that means it's the TV and not the cable.

Hope that helps a little.

Oh hell, I just realised this topic was months old, he's probably bought a new telly by now :)

Back