problem with s-video connection

traybianne

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am having a problem trying to connect my computer up to my tv. I have just bought a new lcd tv and have connected the tv up through an s video lead. the picture however is showing in black and white. the cable works fine with my old tv. Does anyone know what would cause this or how to resolve the problem.

:Cheers:

m8 , the input is set to composit not s video. You probably need to 'tell' the TV that it's an S video signal, it'll be in the set-up somewhere...look in the manual.

Ive checked the full manual and there is nothing in it about changing the settings and have tried all the settings on the controller but still cant sort this. I might try and call the tv manufacturer about it. Thanks for the advice it is appreciated.

In which case it may well not be S video capable, does the set have an 'S' video socket (small round 6 pin)? or are you using a scart socket? In which case is the scart cable wired for S video?

alright tray - i get the same on my tv. Flick through the inputs i.e the scarts etc (AV Channels) there should be a button on your remote. Check manual for the AV button + press it a few times. on mine the colour picture is one after the b&w one.

Hope this helps!

Is the output on your PC set to NTSC or pal, NTSC will give a B+W image if the TV can't accept an NTSC signal properly. If you let me know the make and model of the TV I will see if I can find any info for you.
By the way just in case you are unsure an S video socket is a small 4 pin socket similar to a PS2 socket.

think it may be a problem with my graphics card as I have just set up my old tv to the computer, the one which worked fine with the s video cable and it is in black and white now also. I was connecting my old tv up using an s video lead and a scart socket but my new tv has a socket for the s video. The set up was working fine before I attached it to my new tv. Have tried messing about with my display settings and uninstalling and reinstalling the display driver but having no luck.

:Cheers: think I have discovered what the problem is. Appears that my s video pins have been damaged when putting the connection in to my new tv. need a new cable. Thanks for everyone who replied.

Back