Problem getting MKV files playing in Tversity

lagerlout

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys, on my second attempt at this now. Finally got normal Xvids to play thought it but cant get those pesky mkv files to work!!
When I select play I can see the haali media splitter icon come up for a second in the task bar then it dissapears again. Think its to do with the codec configuration on my pc. I've installed the k-lite codec pack and running windows xp. Anyone been sucessful with these at all? Been trying to get them to play for days !!!

Yeah its on there but inside the k-lite pack. Tried installing ffd show haali splitter and all those other codecs separately as well.
They play ok on my computer but wont stream. Now after several more hours I've managed to get it the point where the haali splitter icon appears in the task bar and it sits theres for about 30 seconds before I get a lost connection error.
Getting to the point now where I'm thinking about moving my pc over to the telly or getting some 8m component leads.
Really really annoying spent days on this now!!

can you give me an example of the file and i'll make suree i can get them wokring on the 360?

A video file are they ?

Coz if i can get them working then i'll be able to help you.

Ok cheers mate, the main one I've been trying to get working is Fear.and.Loathing.in.Las.Vegas.720p.HDDVDRip.x264-PROGRESS
but also lost in mkv format isnt working either.
Just tried to plug my pc into the tv but when it boots up I just get a black screen, Arrghhh :Kickassro

Played it off the pc through component cables in the end. Dont think theres a way to stream mkv in hd yet to be honest. Hopefully something will come out to do it sometime soon. The quality is absolutely awesome once you get it playing.

ah man sorry i been realy busy haven't had the chance to give it a go yet...i will at some point....did you say HD ?

Yeah the files I cant play are h.264 with acc sound in a MKV container. Quality is spot on through the tv when its coming out of the pc, just a pity I cant stream them. Bought a new pc with the intention of doing this but turned out to be a right pain in the bum!!

i seen me mates 360 last night now unfortunatly he didn't have a mkv file to play with but he was using the windows media center operating system and the streaming stuff wireless was way above the quality of tversitality....i'm going to be giving this a go at the weekend....or as soon as i can, sorry i aint been on earlier, just dead busy with work.

will get round to testing one asap

Dont worry mate, I'm gonna order a DVI to HDMI cable to link the pc to the TV. Bit pricey buy should be well worth it. I'm running Media center edition and vista ultimate on a dual boot. Found you can improve the quality of tversity by tweaking the resolution options. Also have been using transcode 360 which seems to stream in higher quality, MKv video plays with it too but the audio is all messed up.

there's all ways somethign init mate ? i mean now the sound is out of sync, it's all i ever wanted to do is watch streaming moovies from me pc to the tele i have in the sitting room and there's all ways summit that won;t let you enjoi it, how ever looking at that windows media center xp version looked pretty neat with all the things i was watching

cheers mate

Dont worry mate, I'm gonna order a DVI to HDMI cable to link the pc to the TV. Bit pricey buy should be well worth it. I'm running Media center edition and vista ultimate on a dual boot. Found you can improve the quality of tversity by tweaking the resolution options. Also have been using transcode 360 which seems to stream in higher quality, MKv video plays with it too but the audio is all messed up.

What's the point, im pretty sure after a re-encode into x264 format that these movies aren't HD anyway. Might as well just do DVI -> DVI.

Because my tv doesnt have a DVI socket mate. Dont think you right about about x264 not being HD, its used in Blueray and HD-DVD for a start.

Edit : Also the properties when playing the file in media player show 1280x544 near enough 720p

Last edited:
It's a codec mate. While you can reduce filesize slightly with lossless, the movies you are downloading off the net in that format are definately compressed and not in HD. The resolution might be the same but you've lost the HD quality.

Not gonna argue mate but its definately HD. The resolution is what makes it hd or not. I know h.264 is a codec. The orignal hd-dvd / blueray would have been 1080p/1080i. Look it up on google if you dont believe me.

Not gonna argue mate but its definately HD. The resolution is what makes it hd or not. I know h.264 is a codec. The orignal hd-dvd / blueray would have been 1080p/1080i. Look it up on google if you dont believe me.

Next time I go home i'll watch the Lost 720p x264 eps next to planet earth that i've capped using sky+. I'm pretty sure i'll notice the difference ;)

Well yeah you probably will because planet earth will be in 1080i, a higher resolution.

Back