Private email server

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can setup a robust personal email server in your home, which will work like a normal pop type server that computers and mobiles can connect to?

Think there are a few on linux such as postfix but never tried myself.

I would recommend postfix it did the job for me for a time.

Which how easy it is to get an email address these days I dont see the point in setting up your own.

Which how easy it is to get an email address these days I dont see the point in setting up your own.

Using a service that uses you?
In exchange for free services like Gmail and Google Drive, your personal information is stored on massive corporate servers in the cloud.

These free services track who you communicate with, what you converse about, your purchases, where you live, and what you search for. Free services are not really free - access to your data is the price.

Your personal information like photos, financial records, emails, shopping receipts, and addresses are mined and sold to third party companies like advertisers, governments, and data brokers.

I believe you would need a domain of some description anyway, but that might be a moot point.

I believe you would need a domain of some description anyway, but that might be a moot point.

The domain is just one problem using your own email service.
You have to take into account DNS records so emails can me routed.
An always on connection to retrieve the emails.

Best bet is setting it up in AWS as they will take care of much of the overhead(DNS, connection and domain).

If privacy is your concerns than the information that they retrieve from gmail and such is nothing in comparsion to what they are getting from your Android or iPhone...

The domain is just one problem using your own email service.
You have to take into account DNS records so emails can me routed.
An always on connection to retrieve the emails.

Best bet is setting it up in AWS as they will take care of much of the overhead(DNS, connection and domain).

If privacy is your concerns than the information that they retrieve from gmail and such is nothing in comparsion to what they are getting from your Android or iPhone...

If you just want privacy, then there are several privacy orientated email hosts. All accessed via TOR.

Back