Printer on wireless router

nyck

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm after some advice on wireless routers
I'm moveing my PC upstairs so i was going to buy a wireless router setup.
Can you connect a USB printer to the router as a network printer .

Any advice on makes ,setup etc

thanks nyck

You need a PCI wirless printer server i belive to add it to the network

Some wireless routers come with a built in usb port for the printer, so look around and there will be something for you.

I know the vigor 2600G does one, but its a little on the pricey side.

There must be others.

I have my USB printer conected to just one computer on my wireless network and as long as that computer is turned on I can print from any of the other computers on the network

dude how did u set that up i av a printer on my pc and a wirless network how do u set it up to be able to print from another pc in the network ???

Sorry forgot to say it via cable modem so no go on the vigor 2600 but the 2900 would be Ok

I wanted via the router so i didnt have to have the PC on all the time

thanks for the help
nyck

footylad said:
dude how did u set that up i av a printer on my pc and a wirless network how do u set it up to be able to print from another pc in the network ???

share the printer(right click-->sharing) and make sure the pcs are all on the same workgroup, also make sure the users on each pc correspond and add the correct users to the printer share so they have permission to print to it.

nyck said:
Sorry forgot to say it via cable modem so no go on the vigor 2600 but the 2900 would be Ok
I wanted via the router so i didnt have to have the PC on all the time
thanks for the help
nyck

yep you could plug the 2900 into your cable modem, and it'd do the job...just seems like a little bit of an expensive router for that....there must be something cheaper around.........

......this might do the job for you,

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=349P&refererid=WQ&v=2

£70.00 but i've never used them. half the price of the vigor 2900g.....or have you bought something already?

once you have the nrtwork set up you should be able to print from any comp on the network as long as you have shared the printer right click an enable printer sharing

pipehose said:
once you have the nrtwork set up you should be able to print from any comp on the network as long as you have shared the printer right click an enable printer sharing

thats the way i have mine, works great on the lappy :)

I think wireless print server is way to go, saves having to have pc that printer is connected to on if you wish to print from other pc, can be costly but worth it for convenience alone

Back