Preacher Abu Qatada wins appeal

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
abu.jpg

Islamic preacher Abu Qatada has won an appeal against deportation from the UK which could lead to him being freed.

Qatada - in prison pending deportation to Jordan - has been dubbed "Osama bin Laden's right-hand man in Europe".

The Home Office says it will challenge the ruling, and in the meantime he will remain in prison.

The Court of Appeal said it was concerned that evidence allegedly obtained under torture may form part of a future trial in Jordan.

The Jordanian national has been fighting extradition to his home country where he has been convicted for terror attacks.

The appeal panel said the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC) had misdirected itself in law over the issue of any evidence obtained by torture.

Responding to the decision, Home Office minister Tony McNulty said he believed the deportation would still go ahead.

"I am pleased that the courts dismissed all but one of Abu Qatada's reasons for appeal," he said.

"We are seeking to overturn that point, and I believe that we will be able to secure his deportation to Jordan and we will push for it as soon as possible. In the meantime, he remains behind bars."

Jordan is one of a number of countries with which the UK has signed a memorandum of understanding which ministers say will ensure that any deported terrorism suspects will not face torture or ill-treatment on return.

Shadow Home Secretary David Davis criticised the government's approach, saying it should concentrate on prevention and prosecution as well as trying to deport individuals once in the UK.

He said: "They should answer our calls to establish a dedicated UK border police to secure our borders and prevent foreign terror suspects from entering the country in the first place."

Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne said the court was rightly concerned about the use of evidence gained under torture in Jordan, which would not be admissible in a British court.

He said Qatada should now be charged in the UK courts, or released.

Gareth Peirce, Qatada's solicitor, said she welcomed the court's decision but criticised the memorandum of understanding, saying it was "unenforceable" and carried "no possible sanction or redress if breached".

Human rights group Amnesty International called for Qatada to be "fairly tried - not shipped off to Jordan to be sentenced on the basis of evidence that was tortured out of someone".

Deportations scrapped

In a separate ruling on Wednesday, the three appeal judges also found in favour of two Libyan suspects, after the government appealed another decision by Siac.

Siac had ruled that the pair faced a risk of ill-treatment, including torture, if they were returned to Libya.

As a result of the appeal court ruling, deportation proceedings against 10 other Libyan nationals have effectively been abandoned.

A Home Office spokesman said the government would not appeal against the judgment in this case.

Abu Qatada became one of the UK's most wanted men in December 2001 when he went on the run on the eve of government moves to introduce new anti-terror laws allowing suspects to be detained without charge or trial.

In October 2002 the authorities tracked him down to a council house in south London and took him to Belmarsh Prison.

He was eventually freed on bail in March 2005, but was made subject of a control order to limit his movements.

In August that year he was taken back into custody pending extradition to Jordan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7338553.stm

like i said before, the real terrorists get let off and the decent people get done under "anti terrorism" laws. what a pile of crap this is.

ps: decent as in people not allowed to protest or anything.

If he is freed then I hope someone pops a bullet right between his fucking eyes.

Is it not time that we stop paying for foreigners to sue our country with our money.
Should have been sent to Jordan straight away.

Italy doesn't f*ck about like this; they just turf them out. We're thick as sh*t.

Quote "Human rights group Amnesty International called for Qatada to be "fairly tried - not shipped off to Jordan to be sentenced on the basis of evidence that was tortured out of someone".
What fair trial did any of the people he no doubt helped to murder through his terrorist activities get ? His sort of people can plant bombs on trains and buses not knowing or caring if its full of women and children.I hope he gets sent back to Jordan and i also hope they torture him ,it might send a message out to these people

Yep. A disgrace.

Just kill the prick.

We need to overturn the human rights act. Or, at the very least amend it to seperate scumbags from the herd.

England and Jordan signed a Memorandum of Understanding which basically means transferred persons will not be mistreated

Now the Human Rights Watch say that the Memorandum does nothing to reduce that risk or to change the obligation not to expose people to torture

Who the feck are they to question Jordan ? anyway the government should win the appeal and deport him otherwise it's like calling the jordanians untrustworthy liars, the point is who gives a toss if they are lying ? the fact they signed the memorandom and promise not to should be enough for us to wash our hands of them

On a personal note, I hope Jordan is lying through it's teeth and manages to extradite all these arseholes such as Abu Qatada and Mahmud Abu Rida and hundreds more like them and tortures the feck out of them !

So our judicial system has failed to protect us against people such as Qatada along with European Law and all these silly human rights organizations.

I'd agree with Bronto as these mickey mouse rights organizations seem to have the power to question rule over English law which is political correctness gone mad.

All this terror that we have been subjected to is just the beginning. If these guys ever get nuclear weapons and its a question of when and not if, they will with gratuity blow us out of the sky where we can all continue to support Amnesty International whilst we are all dead.

Tell you what though I guess it will be history repeating itself as in the past thousands of years many civilised worlds were destroyed by barbarians, this could just be another example of such an event.

just wonder how much this ar***ole has cost the british (who he's preaching hatred against) taxpayer. Send him to take his chances.

thebigman

fooking typical !

I protest against fuel prices, and get threatended that if i dont leave immediately I will be arrested... under anti terrorism laws..!
An all this piece of shite has to do is "appeal" that his human rights have been violated..! well so they fooking should be as well, He gave up all rights to be treated as a human when he got involved in the killing MURDERING of INNOCENT people !

Fooking whimp !

I for one will glady stick a .762mm between his eyes from 500 yards should he be free to roam our streets again.

fooking typical !

I protest against fuel prices, and get threatended that if i dont leave immediately I will be arrested... under anti terrorism laws..!
An all this piece of shite has to do is "appeal" that his human rights have been violated..! well so they fooking should be as well, He gave up all rights to be treated as a human when he got involved in the killing MURDERING of INNOCENT people !

Fooking whimp !

I for one will glady stick a .762mm between his eyes from 500 yards should he be free to roam our streets again.

exactly wht i mean mate!!

Back