Powerline Adaptors

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been using these for years to route the internet around the house. I read somewhere that they should always be the first into the socket. Mine are mixed in with 4-6 gang extension leads lol. Would it make much difference if i was to put them first in socket sequence, as recommended? :)

I never put them in extension leads as they gave problems from time to time. I always put them in main socket.
I think its best advised never to put them in extension leads.

I never put them in extension leads as they gave problems from time to time. I always put them in main socket.
I think its best advised never to put them in extension leads.
I've never had any problems with them in extensions. Maybe it slows them down a tad?

I've never had any problems with them in extensions. Maybe it slows them down a tad?
Im not to sure mate. In instructions i think its advised not to use them in leads, issue i had was them dropping out for 30 seconds or so. When i put them in main wall socket it never happened again. Thats using TPlink 500mbps plugs.

From what I understand, it's best to put these directly in the mains and not via an extension lead.

I use passthrough powerline so I don't lose a socket and plug the extension lead into the passthrough of the powerline.

I believe from what I've read, some normal extension leads are okay but the fancier surge, etc extensions can cause issues.

I've always used passthrough powerline without any issue.

Other things like state of wiring in the house can make a difference.

My extensions don't offer the luxury of surge protection. They're bog standard from pound land. Lol

I got a Wi-Fi Booster from Virmin,basically just a powerline adapter,never got used as i have a major shortage of sockets in this house,always wondered if it was workable using it via an extension cable etc,it is not advised to do so from virmin,varied responses here about if it's doable..lol

If the extensions are surge protected you will get problems. Intermittent connections or no connection. I'd say the better quality the extension. i,e shielding of the cable etc the more reliable the signal and connection you will get.

Virmin are robbing cu*ts. I had a white Hub 3.0 router that worked perfectly fine all over the house and even at the bottom of the garden which is a good 15/20 yards away. Switched provider who were actually worse giving intermittent connection issues so switched back and got a black Hub 3.0 router. Set it up in exactly the same place and I can't even get a Wi-Fi signal in the bedroom above or the room next door. Forced into signing up to their £3 a month booster scam.

But on topic, yeah wouldn't advise using an extension lead.

I use tp link adaptors , very good, connected to the mains though ,

Last edited:
I have got all my powerline's from solwise and info from their website...

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Hi,

Depends on the quality of the cable used in the manufacture process when making the extension leads.. some cheaper extensions and indeed some of the expensive ones can lose voltage over distance.

I've been using these for years to route the internet around the house. I read somewhere that they should always be the first into the socket. Mine are mixed in with 4-6 gang extension leads lol. Would it make much difference if i was to put them first in socket sequence, as recommended? :)
The general rule is to have them with as less obstructions and on the shortest distance from the transmtter as possible. I am using PL adapters for communication with main processor during commisioning of automation systems in most difficult environments of unfinished construction sites, with temporary electrical connections, often on different phase, on the funniest DIY extension cords which only construction workers can connect... all without a single issue, though I have reached the max cable length limit (because they prepared an extension using huge roll of cable for me to connect :)) )

personally not a big fan of them, I installed CAT6 cabling all over with the house when I renovated the house and now get full 1GB :)

personally not a big fan of them, I installed CAT6 cabling all over with the house when I renovated the house and now get full 1GB :)
Of course, there is no replacement for nice new Cat.6 cables, but sometimes they either don't exist or they do but they're not connected, and then PL adapter is a lifesaver

Can I hijack this thread save opening another one.

Mine are in extension lead so will now change that approach.

My question is can I go from power line adapter to a Ethernet switch, I have with my tv loads of other boxes and hubs that need connecting but router is not close.
So I was hoping one Ethernet connection into a 5 way switch as an example

Can I hijack this thread save opening another one.

Mine are in extension lead so will now change that approach.

My question is can I go from power line adapter to a Ethernet switch, I have with my tv loads of other boxes and hubs that need connecting but router is not close.
So I was hoping one Ethernet connection into a 5 way switch as an example

Yes you can attach a power line adapter to a switch. I have done so and have my samsung 4k tv, virgin box and xbox one x feeding from the switch without any issues.

Back