Power Steering Fluid?

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
Afternoon chapsters,

Iv'e recently noticed a demise in the power of the steering. I've had a quick look under the bonnet and i think there's a bit of a leak (not much left in the pot)

Anyway, it's ok to drive, but i'm wondering, if it empties completely, will i end up with the scenario like when the ignition cut's out, and you can't turn the wheel at all?

If it's a slow leak, chuck a bit of brake/clutch fluid in with the PS fluid (about 5% at a time) and it should swell your seals. Does the same job as Wynns etc but a damn sight cheaper. I've an old Land Rover 110 and it works a treat.

i would not be using brake fluid as an expensive repair can be looming,no mention of car as if a ford the power steering pipe fractures and fliud goes every where,some units have pressure switches,also leak.try not to drive it when dry and there are numerous types of fluid for many cars and not an all in one fluid.
drivers handbook should state what is correct to use.

forgot to mention oil in altenator and on belt will feck up both in a short time.

What kind of car is it @dar1437 ?
A friend's Citroen van (2008) p/s pump died gradually, when it 'went' he could NOT steer it, had to have it towed to garage. 2K for a new pump ffs! The new pump has to be programmed to the van's ECU so couldn't just get one from a breakers yard.
He just walked away & bought a new (Opel) van.

If it's the same car where he has a puddle in the drivers footwell ;), then it is in his words "an old Focus"

Just keep it topped up and you will be fine until it can be fixed

ahh fecked focus like i posted above and what a mess they leave:D

Lol it's an old Focus pushing 20 years.
I'm trying to milk it out for 1 last year. :)

ok folks dig deep in pockets for elastic bands and we can buy him a prop for another windup hehehe,dont feel to bad as i can drive a 1989 car with ease:D

Back