Power problems

lewoody

Inactive User
Reaction score
Guys, can anyone help?

I have a fat PSP and it wont charge or power up from the mains adapter. I have tried several other friends chargers and they wont work either (even though they work on theirs). I have a spare battery that has charge and when I insert this, it works. So at least I know the motherboard isnt fried.

I have also changed the yellow power socket for a new one and still the same.

Is it possible that the charge circuit on the board is dead?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Woody

I had a problem with my card reader on my psp and used the link below to get a replacement psp. Reason I mentioned this was because when they sent the replacement it had the exact same problem you mentioned, it wouldn't take a charge or play with power lead in but would work with another charged battery....I rang them again and they replaced it. If you have never registered the psp with Sony then try what is in link below as it really works.

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1227039#post1227039

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up.

I just tried this Jaffa but they wanted a receipt, plus the warranty sticker has been removed to replace the yellow power socket .... damn !!

I will keep rumaging around for an answer. Other than that a new board is only £15, so that may be the next route.

cheers
woody

1) check the powersupply with a multimeter to ensure correct output voltage is getting to the plug

2) If out of warranty - open the PSP - check to see if the socket that the charger plugs into has broken - i.e. loose wires so no power is getting through - if all ok...

3) Check for any fuses blown

4) follow power through from the socket on the PCB through to the battery - i.e. check track by track for breakages or blown parts - where the power stops is likely to be the part that is faulty. This is component level repairing though which may be a little to complex unless you have advanced technical skills.

5) Also check the connector that the battery connects to - as this may have some breakages or contacts that have either been pushed back and not making contact or have a need to be cleaned.

Most modern battery chargers have a temperature sensor input so they can charge the battery intelligently - so a full battery may work on the PSP but it may refuse to charge it if the temperature input is absent...?

EDITED... just seen psp works ok with battery but not charging so ignore this post

Last edited:
Back