Power cut

sneaker

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had a seven hour power cut, it certainly makes You realize how unprepared You are :), the last time we had one was the 1970 3 day week. Luckily they have got it back on before a freezer full of food went to waste.

I had one a few months back, around 6am, just as i was getting up for work. I always keep a small torch by the bedside table for such occasions. (As it was pitch black)
I goes downstairs and get a candle out of the cupboard, i put it in a cup to keep it upright. I put it on the windowsill and nearly catch the net curtain on fire lol.
No microwave, no hot water, and worse if all, no cup of tea.
I promptly ordered a gas hob kettle and 3 little parrafin lamps in case of a repeat performance lol.
It was only off for 40 minutes, but as you say, you take it gor granted untill it's gone. :)

A scroat pinched a neutral busbar from my local substation a few years ago. Worth about £30 if it was copper and not aluminium.

Transformer went unbalanced when loading started in the morning and large voltages started appearing on phases. Quite a bit damage to electrical stuff in the neighbouring streets.

I bought a large UPS then due to other local problems at the time, turning out to be a failing HV cable crimp.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see how todays generation would manage continuous power cuts like in the 70s. Sat around the coal fire with a few candles. Beautiful but very bleak.

Dig out the camping gear of decades ago for cooking and look at my 12 tv hoping car battery dont die.
solar powered items for power charging batteries and wind up items be getting bought up quickly

most important have leaflets of all the take aways near you as they might have another source for cooking or not affected?
hopefully you charged up your mobile

Lol, people would have to start talking face to face again.
I think the youngsters would be i for an unpleasant surprise, but if it became regular, they'd adapt to it.
Get ouside and have some proper fun ;)

You don't see kids playing buzzoff, hide and seek british bulldog etc :) hide and seek during a power cut made it real difficult to find your mates.

But what would happen when mobile phones crashed?

Things are different here. The infrastructure is shit. For example a lot of the distribution cables here are overhead and frequently get blown down/hit by trees/struck by lightning etc. etc so power cuts are not uncommon - seldom a month goes by without one and it's worse out in the sticks.
I mostly use laptops and I have a 12V battery on float to run my router during cuts - they don't usually last long but 17Ah should run it for a day or two. I used to have a UPS on the $ky+HD box as it took so bloody long to re-boot but I rarely watch TV now so that went, along with the $ky box lol!

We dont get power cuts so often but I keep 2 x 12v leisure batteries in car port connected to a 12v small solar panel. I then have a 2000w invertor in the garage that I can connect up and give me some power for a good while. It can even run a small fan heater. I also have a 1000w generator sat in the garage.

Things are different here. The infrastructure is shit. For example a lot of the distribution cables here are overhead and frequently get blown down/hit by trees/struck by lightning etc. etc so power cuts are not uncommon - seldom a month goes by without one and it's worse out in the sticks.
I mostly use laptops and I have a 12V battery on float to run my router during cuts - they don't usually last long but 17Ah should run it for a day or two. I used to have a UPS on the $ky+HD box as it took so bloody long to re-boot but I rarely watch TV now so that went, along with the $ky box lol!
Where abouts do you live?

Back