Postman jailed for racist hate mail campaign

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
A postman who waged a hate campaign in which he posted letters and packages containing "overtly racist and depraved threats" to the attorney general and around 150 other targets has been jailed for four years.

Jefferson Azevedo, 45, also sent packages laced with white powder at the height of the US anthrax scare, and placed a hoax bomb on a bridge.

London's Southwark crown court heard that he singled out individuals because of their support for foreign nationals in Britain or their opposition to the British National party.

Azevedo, of Portsmouth, targeted MPs, solicitors, media organisations, charities, schools, mosques and churches, as well as restaurants and car rental companies.

Some of his packages contained caustic soda. One person was slightly burned after coming into contact with the chemical, while another suffered a skin rash and many people were left "extremely frightened", the court heard.

One victim, Julius Klein, 79, whose family was killed in the Holocaust, said he felt traumatised by a letter he received bearing a swastika.

The judge, Peter Testar, told Azevedo: "I find a significant aggravating factor in this case was the sheer nastiness which was directed against individuals. I can't ignore the fact these offences seem to have be racially aggravated."

Azevedo sent hate mail to the Royal Navy's dockyard at Portsmouth, the Voluntary Overseas Organisation, and the Slough offices of the mobile telecoms company O2.

He pleaded guilty to 19 charges spanning February 2003 to March last year, and asked for a further 140 to be considered.

Alex Agbamu, prosecuting, said Azevedo had explained after his arrest that "he wanted publicity because of his concerns over immigration" and "intended to frighten".

"He said he had the idea from the US when anthrax had been sent through the post to various people in that country," the court heard. "He said he had carried out research in the public library, in newspapers and on the internet. If he found a story he was interested in, he would do what he could to find out how to contact the individuals concerned."

The postman carried out his campaign in several stages. The first batch of letters, in January 2004, were sent in retaliation against plans to turn a former naval air station in Lee-on-Solent into an asylum centre.

A year later, he sent a tin foil wrap with something rattling inside it to the Buckingham Gate offices of the then attorney general, Lord Goldsmith. Fifty staff, including the senior law officer, were evacuated as a precaution.

Azevedo responded to a campaign to prevent a Portsmouth schoolgirl and her family from being sent back to Syria by sending letters containing caustic soda, some with the message: "If they be black, send them back."

In March last year, he sent hate mail to a number of residents in Portsmouth and the West Midlands bearing a swastika and the warning: "Ethnic cleansing coming soon to this area."

William Mosley, defending, told the court his client had a background of depression that had "coloured and overshadowed much of his adult life".

"It made him a solitary individual who has always had difficulty making friends. And this perhaps led to an outpouring of frustration in the way we have seen," Mosley said.

Outside court, Detective Inspector John Geden said: "This was nothing less than a terror campaign. Some of his victims were extremely frightened by what occurred. If his intent was to cause upset and chaos, he has certainly done that."

By Lee Glendinning
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/jun/13/ukcrime4?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

'Warped loner' in terror campaign

Brazilian-born Jefferson Azevedo's hatred of foreigners led him to plant a hoax bomb and to send extremist letters containing white powder, racist content and threats.

All had the aim of targeting foreign nationals and supporters of the British immigration system.

The 45-year-old postman, described by police as a warped loner, sparked huge security alerts when more than 40 of his letters were opened between 2003 and 2007.

The white powder was later identified as caustic soda, which can cause severe burns. Tests revealed it was virtually harmless in the amounts found.

_44597091_letters_azevedo226.jpg

Azevedo targeted a wide range of individuals and organisations​

Up to 100 more letters contained racist content.

Azevedo has pleaded guilty to 19 offences at City of Westminster Magistrates court - nine of them under the Anti-Terrorism Act.

Azevedo, of Langley Road, Portsmouth, agreed for another 140 further charges to be taken into consideration.

One of his racist letters threatened 18-year-old Lorin Suliman, who lives in Portsmouth.

Syrian-born Ms Suliman arrived in the UK with her mother and sister in 2002, after escaping her homeland in the back of a lorry.

_44597089_letters_victim226.jpg

Lorin Suliman was 15 years old when her family received a letter​

She was 15 when the family received one of Azevedo's letters.

"I opened it and I saw a white sheet of paper with a picture of us three - my mum, my sister and myself - and it was in black and white," she said.

"It had the writing, 'If black, send them back' underneath it and I think there was a Nazi sign.

"I was really scared, I started feeling vulnerable that people are able to send stuff like that to us," she added.

Azevedo targeted a wide range of individuals and organisations across Hampshire and beyond.

Hampshire Constabulary led the investigation, which spanned 12 different police force areas.

_44597093_letters_bombonbridge226.jpg

In 2007 Azevedo planted a hoax bomb over the A27 in Havant

Two letters containing white powder were sent to St Albans Primary School in Havant, one arrived at the Royal Naval Dockyard in Portsmouth, another was posted to the attorney general's office in London.

A number of media organisations in Hampshire also received letters.

Their content featured swastikas and names of extreme right-wing groups, but police have said there is no evidence to suggest Azevedo belonged to any organisation.

"Certainly we have got no indication that he is linked to any groups," Ch Insp John Geden said.

"It would appear that he is working alone.

"I would describe him as a warped loner really who, for whatever his reasoning and motivation, took great pleasure in sending these letters."

_44597090_letters_a27bridge226.jpg

Azevedo's hoax bomb caused the A27 to shut for hours​

In 2007, Azevedo went even further.

He planted a hoax bomb on the A27 near Havant. He also left a banner, featuring a swastika, draped on a footbridge across the road.

The A27 was closed for more than six hours, causing traffic chaos, while the army carried out a controlled explosion on the suspect device.

Detectives finally caught up with Azevedo in 2007, after he was arrested in connection with an unrelated matter.

A DNA sample was taken from him and it matched a profile on the national DNA database. He was later arrested and charged.

He will be sentenced on 13 June.

By Damon Embling
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7363570.stm

Last edited:
Perhaps the bomb had a first class stamp on it, and it still hasn't been 'delivered' yet?

Just as 'going postal' was being phased out of the cultural lexicon its revived by this crazy retro hipster.

A Brazillian migrant complaining about " Foreigners "
what is this world coming to.

thats what i was thinking hes from brazil himself. i work with alot of poles good mates of mine and they got teased for podolski scoring against them as he is polish but plays for germany. then a brazilian scored for them in the next match funny sort of euro

Last edited:
Back