Portable CS

thecelticfan

Banned
Reaction score
I was under the impression that CS over mobile was not possible.

I am an intrepid traveller, not in the literally sense, but a traveller nonetheless.
I have had to try out CS over various networks just to see what worked.

Here are my findings.

Using a dongle on a PC can work though i would avoid it if possible you have to keep a

pc/laptop powered.

Best to get some sort of modem. My personal preference is the Globesurfer III. Although a

MiFi or similar can work as well.

GPRS will have severe break up. Like a dodgey sagem, for those that can remember that!

3G on the other hand, will be more like a dodgey DM800 on HD.

Obviously all this depends on where your share is.

But CS over the mobile network is not impossible.

I was once told that you had have a ping time of 80ms or less.

This is nonsense.

Under 200ms will work fine.

150-180 will be premium

over 300 will be like gprs.

So my findings are that CS works over the mobile network if you need it!

i do this all the time using a solwise 3G router. i did have it built into a receiver, untill i filled the receiver with lager

now i use a USB powered 3G router, powered by the receiver, and a vodafone dongle, to connect back to my home network

Camping + kids + nikelodeon in the middle of nowhere = peace lol

So guys, a quick one on this subject as I am having similar issues here.

Got an old xp laptop I am taking away with me and a tm600.

If i put my dongle in the lappy and get that online what do i do to get my lappy to give a conection through the ethernet to my tm600?

youd need a cross over ethernet cable, and to enable internet connection sharing on the laptop m8, prob be best to ask in the pc rooms how thats setup ;)

what's the amount of data used doing it this way... say for an hour on average...

i do this all the time using a solwise 3G router. i did have it built into a receiver, untill i filled the receiver with lager

now i use a USB powered 3G router, powered by the receiver, and a vodafone dongle, to connect back to my home network

Camping + kids + nikelodeon in the middle of nowhere = peace lol

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the point of camping to get away from it all, back to basics. Taking luxerys like TV, Sat Box, Dish etc. kinda defeats the object. lol.

theres a load of us that go, my boys are happy to chop up a field with a bit of stick, but some of the other kids that sometimes go have square eyes lol, so it keeps them outta trouble

nowt better then being in the middle of nowhere, no mobile reception, no nothing, and getting wasted for 2 days solid with no kids at all around, thats what i call camping :proud:

Back