port forwarding

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys - getting lots of freezing on my duo2 with latest openblackhole image. Ive been assured its not the server that i am connected to as its working perfectly according to a few mates who have the same server anf have no issues. Been advised to set up port forwarding on my superhub 3 to allow the duo2 to connnect through the ports.... nevr done this before so any advice on how i set up port forwarding on my hub 3.0 ? ta

yes i saw that..what are ports used on vu_duo2 ?..what settings do you use ofr below ??
  • Local start port
  • Local end port
  • External start port
  • External end port
i might simply just dusable the firewall...and see if it improves anything..

for example if oscam/cccam was on port 55000 then you would put 55000 in for Local start port , local end port, External Start port, External end port
you local destination would be the IP address of the STB.

I dont understand all this port forwarding either @johnny bravo for example my bt vision box uses port forwarding but it must be preconfigured in the bt hub as I didnt set it up,
I would like to set up my fire tv box for port forwarding to my iptv server but I aint got a clue what ports to use internal and external. would you and me not need to know what external port our IPTV/cable servers use and put that into our router settings

Not sure why you would want port forwarding and how it would help in your situation.

what port forwarding does is to open up your internal network to the outside with each port directing to a service and a machine on you network.

So in the case of opening the ports to your duo2 it would allow people on the web to control it and watch your services. For you to use your IPTV service you dont need any ports open, and it would be a bad idea to do so

for example if oscam/cccam was on port 55000 then you would put 55000 in for Local start port , local end port, External Start port, External end port
you local destination would be the IP address of the STB.

sorry but what you say is incorrect. The port 55000 is the remote server port so whats the point of port forwarding 55000 to
local port local to his Vu Duo - its pointless and the Vu Duo wont be listening on said port.

From a network point of view, when his Vu Du connects to the server on port 55000, the Vu Du will use an random port as the senders port, and connect to the server on the servers recieving port which is 55000

You only ever do port forwarding when you run local servers on your network.

sorry but what you say is incorrect. .

domestic routers will normally use the port forwarding to add rules to the firewall, this removes the complexity of setting up firewall rules as the OP is asking about port forwarding i answered the question with out the technical complexity.

so if the firewall is the issue then the port forwad may stop the firewall from affecting the outbound packets and then my response is not that incorrect :)

Your Virgin Media Hub 3.0 router has a firewall that helps protect your home network from unwanted Internet access. The firewall does this by blocking all connections both into and out of your home network that have not been approved. In order to approve a connection through the firewall for a game or other online application you need to create port forwad.

so yes you are 100% in what you say for ingress for egress the rules may have been changed by the router manufacture, not everyone is a nonworking ninja ;-)

Most of the time just basic uPnP would be sufficient with most routers and saves having to open any specific ports as it will do this automatically.

I have no problem on my router but it isn't virgin.

I do read about problems like this and Virgin router mentioned a lot.

If you suspect, it's firewall issue from virgin router then I would test it.....

Whilst you're having issues with glitching that you mention then disable firewall and see if glitching continues or not.

If it does then that's not the issue. If glitching stops then it would point towards firewall. I would at this point do one final test and re-enable firewall to see if it glitches and if it does then disable it again and it should stop again (if it is firewall related).

Remember it could be many things

The only benefit in opening ports is for remote maintenance. I have the following ports open. You have to remember have password setup (passwd) and webif security turned on otherwise some nice guy can play around on your box.
FTP, port 21
Telnet, port 22/23
HTTP, port 80

thanks guys.. port forwarding to much for my tiny brain lol...anyway, i simply disabled the firewall in superhub3 and i can honesltly say its improved the freezing..ive not had a single freeze since.....

could always use port forwarding to do it for you if needed

ok had a go..renabled hub firewall....im using oscam so i checked in my oscam.conf im using port 8888, i entered that as local and external, ip of my vu+duo2 and saved the rule..restarted vu+duo2 ...will monitor it..

ok had a go..renabled hub firewall....im using oscam so i checked in my oscam.conf im using port 8888, i entered that as local and external, ip of my vu+duo2 and saved the rule..restarted vu+duo2 ...will monitor it..

isnt 8888 the web interface port of the oscam - if you are getting freezing can you post your log file when it freezes

you really do not want to have port 8888 exposed to Internet, there is a high chance you will get hacked :)

TBH the problem is more likely to be VM been overloaded in you area or the server, the only port that is important is the port the server is using.

The only benefit in opening ports is for remote maintenance. I have the following ports open. You have to remember have password setup (passwd) and webif security turned on otherwise some nice guy can play around on your box.
FTP, port 21
Telnet, port 22/23
HTTP, port 80

anyone can mess with your box if you have FTP or Telnet opened. I highly advise you use SCP and SSH instead of FTP and Telnet.

Back