Wired (cat 5/6) POE switch

Grimeire

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Could anyone recommend a cheap POE switch or give advise.

I need one for my CCTV cams so must have POE and a minimum of 8 ports. As it will be on night and day it would be need to be energy efficient too.

I dont mind if it is managed or unmanaged once it has the above.

Thanks

What's your budget? You can likely get a PoE Cisco switch off ebay, or a HP one. Commands are slightly different on HP but nothing overly weird.

What's your budget? You can likely get a PoE Cisco switch off ebay, or a HP one. Commands are slightly different on HP but nothing overly weird.

I dont really want to spend more than €100 but will if I have to. I would prefer to stay away from enterprise stuff due to the cost and noise of the bloody things. I did a CCNA course so am familiar with Cisco. I can still hear the switches and routers from the CCNA course spinning up in my head. Like helicopters they were.

This is only for home use so anything really will do once it POE, minimum of 8 ports and energy efficient.

I dont really want to spend more than €100 but will if I have to. I would prefer to stay away from enterprise stuff due to the cost and noise of the bloody things. I did a CCNA course so am familiar with Cisco. I can still hear the switches and routers from the CCNA course spinning up in my head. Like helicopters they were.

This is only for home use so anything really will do once it POE, minimum of 8 ports and energy efficient.

You can likely get a 8 port HP one. Little thing about the size of a flat shoe box. You could get a meraki one, but the licensing for that is mental expensive, and you have to have it as it's via a dashboard.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
Code:
Code:

Three different ones there all under £100 ( I dont have a sign for Euros).

Could anyone recommend a cheap POE switch or give advise.

I need one for my CCTV cams so must have POE and a minimum of 8 ports. As it will be on night and day it would be need to be energy efficient too.

I dont mind if it is managed or unmanaged once it has the above.

Thanks

What category PoE? There are a few variants so make sure you get the right one.

PoE or PoE+ but then you're going up in price. Also how many ports do you want PoE on?

D-link only has 4x PoE
HP has 8x PoE
Cisco has 1x PoE and 1x PoE+

PoE or PoE+ but then you're going up in price. Also how many ports do you want PoE on?

D-link only has 4x PoE
HP has 8x PoE
Cisco has 1x PoE and 1x PoE+

There are four: at, af, and two bt types :).

What category PoE? There are a few variants so make sure you get the right one.

I didnt know that. I guess I have some reading to do.

I need at least 4 for the time being. Do ye know if having POE enabled on a connection will damage a device that does not require POE. I can only assume sending power to a nic that is not able to handle is bad.

I will check out the links provided and let ye know.

I didnt know that. I guess I have some reading to do.

I need at least 4 for the time being. Do ye know if having POE enabled on a connection will damage a device that does not require POE. I can only assume sending power to a nic that is not able to handle is bad.

I will check out the links provided and let ye know.

They use the other pairs in the cable so no damage it it's wired up correctly :).

I only found out PoE had some cleverness in it when I was looking at IPTV cameras. There is some sort of negotiation when a PoE source is connected to a device.

I also thought you had to be careful that the max PoE watts? Don't some of the switches have a maximum wattage therefore some switches below (or mentioned elsewhere) may not be suitable!

All ports in both switches below are PoE. However, please check depending on circumstances, as the draw of power may make this or another PoE unsuitable for all your (and future) PoE requirements.

Netgear: 8 port, 8 POE+ switch (60W)
Code:

Netgear: 8 port, 8 POE+ switch (123W)
Code:

I could be wrong but its the device that is POE so pulling the power from the switch rather than the switch pushing it to the device so if you have a device that is not POE I wouldn't expect it to damage it because it wouldn't being pulling it and remain dumb so to speak in regards to the power.
I know Cisco switches provide POE to IP phones for example and then the same switches have devices that aren't POE using the same switch without any issues.

can of course use a normal switch and use power injector, can be cheaper if you already have a switch

can of course use a normal switch and use power injector, can be cheaper if you already have a switch

Already doing that but the power adapters take up a socket and there is already 12 in use in this small area between my servers, screens, router etc..

after some further though i realised I will need more than 8 ports after all so I am going for a 16 port linksys switch now. it was the cheapest 16 port I could find.

Code:

Anyone have experience with Linksys stuff. Please tell me it is not as rubbish as TP-Link stuff.

PS thanks everyone for the responses. it is a shame this one 16 port version is not cheap as it would mean i don't have to run a router as a VM.
Code:

went for this in the end as it was the cheapest switch I could fine with port mirroring which will be handy for my IDS

Code:

The netgear JGS516PE came and for €40 i am delighted i with it. It is able to power all CCTV cams no prob and The port mirroring saves me doing the hack i was doing to get around not having the feature.

since there are a few free POE ports I am going to get a POE AP too.

Thanks All for the help

Back