PMSL @ Sky

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
a statement from sky when they were asked about sky being shown in bars etc all over europe. For those who have been following the UK pubs issues you may want to sit down now, i fell down laughing when i read this

Sky is not aware of many venues in Spain and elsewhere showing Premiership football via its channels, a court heard this week.

Phillip Davies, who investigates piracy at Sky, told the MA the number of bars in Spain, Greece, France and Portugal showing Premiership football via Sky was "not something I am aware of".

He was speaking at the appeal hearing of Portsmouth host Karen Murphy, who hopes to overturn a conviction for dishonestly receiving live football via a satellite channel.

and some replys from a pub forum

What a joke! Maybe he should watch sky sports news as it is often commented on that sky Sports is abroad!! and on Soccer AM! "not aware" Best joke ive seen in ages

Thank you Sky for giving me a dam good laugh;

This is almost a funny (and as honest) as their parrot like statement that they offer the pub trade 'value for money'.

I suggest they dig out their tapes of SKY one's series Ibiza Uncovered of about six years ago. I remember seeing a number of episodes recorded in St. Antonio where the film crew were recording people with signs behind them blatently advertising SKY Sports being shown in bars.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

that has to be one of the funniest things ive EVER read

not aware of it lmao, i cant wait to tell everyone

Im sure they just sit in a room and do nothing. Do they not get out. Whereever you go in nay country you see the adverts

i wonder if they want me as a witness.... i was at a meeting with a top sky legal representative in spain :) as they came over to investigate the piracy in the Costa Blanca. Myself and many other official traders had put pressure on something to be done about the mafia re-broadcasting and putting us out of business. Also I remember a radio interview with Rupert Murdoch many years back and he admitted on air he knew cards were used abroad. I'm sure also they have issued comments in the past admitting that if they stop the use of cards abroad they realise they would lose over 1 million subscribers. We all know that they know, and there are various trade outlets that are proof they know their cards go abroad, so its a pretty stupid statement really. It will probably be accepted in court tho....

oh dear :(

A Portsmouth licensee who appealed a conviction for showing foreign satellite football has lost her case this afternoon.

Karen Murphy, of the Red, White and Blue in Southsea will face fines and costs of around £12,000 after a Crown Court judge upheld her conviction.

Murphy was found guilty in January of showing Premiership games via Greek satellite channel Nova at her pub.

In our view Murphy hid behind the legal advice as a convenient shield with which to hide her dishonesty.
Judge Iain Pearson
Last year she was acquitted of the same offence because the judge found she had not acted dishonestly - because she did not know she was breaking the law.

Murphy continued to show the games and was prosecuted again.

She told the court she had taken legal advice from her solicitor and was told she was not acting criminally.

However, Judge Iain Pearson told Murphy today that he felt she knew what she was doing was illegal and she was "hiding" behind the legal advice of her solicitor.

Pearson, who sat with two lay justices, said: "In our view Murphy hid behind the legal advice as a convenient shield with which to hide her dishonesty."

Murphy took out a foreign satellite system after being encouraged to do so by her brewery at the time, Gales.

Since then she had received a letter from Fuller's - which bought Gales - saying that in their opinion the equipment should be removed.

Judge Pearson said in his judgment that he believed the Greek football programme being shown in the pub was contained in a broadcast eminating from the UK - without interruption - and therefore a fee should have been payable to Sky.

He therefore upheld the magistrates' court's decision.

Ray Hoskin of MPS, who brought the prosecution, told the MA outside court: "It gives me no delight to see another publican convicted. over the past two years or so the trade has been seriously misled by illicit dealers in these cards and in particular the false 'spin' placed on the Gannon case on the internet.

"Although MPS were not the prosecutors in the Gannon case, the court today made it quite clear that they disagreed with many of the points argued in Gannon.

"The judge also made it clear that publicans cannot hide their dishonestly by sheltering behind legal advice, insurance policies etc."

Back