Plex integration

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Plex has been around for a long time now, I personally love it.

What I love about plex is the friend sharing... combined with syncing.

If you have a movie, and your friend wants to watch it but they have a slow broadband you can sync it to your device so it gets it for later.

I also find that using plex with sonos is a joy.
It just works and works really well!!!

Anyone else use plex here?

Or have further integration tips

no need to sync with slow broadband as you can transcode if your server is capable of it.

if you have a lot of friends who use your server i recommend you check this out. its very handy

check out this it saves me hours every weeks.

couchpatato is good too but it isnt as polished as sickrage.

what are you running your plex server on?

I use plex but only for audio.

I have the plex server on my Qnap NAS and use the Alexa Plex skill to play my music music, that way I don't need to upload 6500 albums to the cloud, they play directly on my network.

I run my family plex server on dell i5 windows 8gb. Simple setup.

I just Remote Desktop into it.

Was thinking about finding the cheapest linux server with big storage, as sometimes it can be a tiny bit laggy when 3-4 people are using it.

Not often lol, but it an happen as my family all use it.

Mick

this is what i got Plex running on.
I have FreeNas as the host OS which also acts as a hyper visor.
I got 4 vms running on it a Win 10 vm, Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Desktop and linux mint.

then i have 7 Jails running, which are similar to Docker containers. I have plex running on one of these along with other things such as OpenVPN and transmission.

Specs of my Machine
Intel Xeon E3-1225V3 processor
32GB ram
2 * 2TB mirrored array
3 * 3TB raid 5 array
1 * 120Gb SSD for VM's
2 * 32GB Sandisk Boot drives
Sata Card to increase number of sata ports.

All in all it cost be about €700 but its well worth it. I spent 400 for machine and the parts, which i got second hand on ebay and used a few old HDDs i had lying around and as they fail i replace them with bigger drives. I spent about $300 on new drives

Some setup there mate :).

I just bought a second 6TB drive, and will be setting up simple raid once it comes.

I only want the machine for plex... I have a windows server that deals with everything else.

Mick

been looking at this today.

PlexGuide.com

They have a script that is very interesting...

is it the "PlexGuide is an all-in-one media solution that deploys a Media Server through the use of Google drive" that you are talking about.

if its anything like Plex cloud dont waste your time i upgraded to premium account just for Plex cloud and it is the biggest disaster ever, there is a reason Plex remove the plex cloud option.
On the rare occasion it is accessible it is nothing but trouble. Seems like everyday I'm manually matching TV series even thought the naming conventions are correct and they are in the folder with the rest of the series that are being matched.
last week it just decided to delete a whole library with over 1000 videos. it took nearly a week to find scan the folder again and match them all

We use plex and I'm amazed at it's quality for a free piece of software. Although haven't used any of it's other services.

Plex has been around for a long time now, I personally love it.

What I love about plex is the friend sharing... combined with syncing.

If you have a movie, and your friend wants to watch it but they have a slow broadband you can sync it to your device so it gets it for later.

I also find that using plex with sonos is a joy.
It just works and works really well!!!

Anyone else use plex here?

Or have further integration tips
Long time Plex master with several family members access to the libraries.

Just makes for a slicker solution. Before I was using kodi + mariadb to store the database but set up was a PITA and device confgi etc.

With plex the app is available for pretty much all platforms and I can move seamlessly from TV to tablet or mobile.

Never bothered with plex dvr, although I am tempted to get a quad dvb-t2 card and try it out. Just don't see the point of of recording freeview as everything pretty much available on demand.

My setup is fairly straightforward. Just one movie library with all movies in their own folder.

Running out of space but will be adding 8TB hopefully this weekend and swapping coach potatoe for radaar.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back