Please help..POE CCTV system advice needed

codepatcher

DW Member +
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm planning on installing a CCTV system. I'm doing it myself so I figure POE will make life easier. I was planning on buying a complete NVR system but now I am thinking of sourcing the camera's and NVR separately because of specific needs, but I am confused about compatibility and have questions about audio as I would like to record audio at the front of the property. Below is what I am thinking, if anyone can suggest products and where I can source them.

POE NVR 4 channel (8 CH if its not to expensive to allow for expansion in the future). Must have event trigger e mail notification, motion detect and remote viewing and be configured over network via PC as I plan to keep NVR in the attic.

3 x outdoor bullet POE cams , (for side and back of property, audio not so import and will settle for res of 720P/960P to keep cost down).

1 x out door cam for front of property, min resolution 1080P, must have built in mic to record audio with picture. I would also prefer this to be a PTZ cam. Also can audio be recorded over POE with video (i.e. single cat5 cable to for sound, video and power? Or is a separate mic/audio line to NVR required details on audio is scant when reviewing systems online)

My Budget is £250, but can stretch to £300. Is this reasonable? Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Cams must have half decent night vision. 20 - 30 meters.

Last edited:
Whatever you get, go for the 8 channel mate as once its in i'll guarantee you will want another camera...even if its just the extra one. My system is old now and I have a 4 channel system as I thought it would be plenty but after a few months I was thinking I would have liked a 5th camera and now possibly another. So would like to 6 cameras in total....for now lol.
When I get enough cash together I will get a newer system but an 8 channel for sure.

@leemoo Was thinking the same mate. need 4 cams for now, but can see myself adding one at the door at some point. What NVR would you get if upgrading anything in mind?

you will struggle to get good night vision over 20/30 meters but you can always add more ir array to light up the area

you will struggle to get good night vision over 20/30 meters but you can always add more ir array to light up the area

I seen those lamps alright while browsing Amazon, they seem like a relatively inexpensive solution.. will wait and see what cams have to offer, if I got 18+ meters I'd be happy enough.

Mine at the back where it is really dark i can just about see the back wall (30 foot) but my cameras are only 600tvl so pretty poor compared to what you can get now. At the front i can easily see 15 - 20m as the street lights help.
As for the NVR kit from what I have seen I think you may well need more than £300 for the setup you want mate.
I'm watching this thread myself as I'm interested to see if anyone mentions anything decent for a reasonable price.
I know the HD and AHD kits are pretty decent. I have a mate who got one of the Swann systems and the quality is brilliant! The support is excellent with them as well.
He got a kit with 2 cameras and then has be scouring ebay for additional used HD cameras that he has then added.

I think my £300 is looking at tad bit ambitious myself. I'm defo looking at 8CH NVR, I figure a good investment here will allow me plenty of wiggle room when adding cams from different manufactures, esp if cams are short on features. I'm looking at the Hikvision 8CH POE NVR model DS-7608 NI-E2/8P. £150 from lightinthebox.com and £180+ ebay and amazon. I'm taking a closer look on Ali Express after watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-VVXjScEJE apparently, the premium brands in the UK and US are just re-branded Hiks and Dahua. Seen this POE 2MP Dahua Dome a decent enough stand alone cam on its own for the money with built in mic, and SD card slot too. 3 cams like this would do the job for the sides and back of the house (a tad over spec'd for my needs). Leaving me to look for something slightly better for the front.

@leemoo will keep you updated, final selection on NVR and cams not decided yet. Still researching and I only end up learning about a lot fancier surveillance tech and spec to consider and the the more I look the more I want it all, systems out there with facial and number plate recognition, object counting and detection, and all sorts of other fancy video and behavioral analytics. For the main front of property cam I am actually looking at fisheye cams now to see what they can offer for the price point.

Best bang for buck 8CH POE NVR so far, $101 + $55 shipping. (H.265 encoding also, less storage needed).

OneDrive

Password www.unifore.net

Full Spec..
upload_2017-9-1_11-10-6.png
  • Model: EN6383-POE
  • IPC Channel: 8 channels
  • Stream quality: 8×(3840*2160/4K UHD/12MP), 8×(2592*1944/5MP), 8x (1920*1080/2MP), 8x (1280*960/960P/720p)
  • Display/Video Resolution: 4K/5MP/3MP/1080P/960P/720P
  • Recording Mode: Manual, Full Time, Scheduled, Motion Detection, Alarm Event
  • Playback: 1/4/8 channel playback simultaneously
  • Recording storage: 2x HDD bays, max. 12 terabytes (TB)
  • Backup method: External HDD, E-SATA HDD, USB disc, Network
  • IE browser: Support LAN management, client management and remote IE visit
  • Dual stream: Individual setting by each channel
  • Mobile Phone Surveillance: Support (iPhone, Android) operation system
  • Wireless: Support 3G and WIFI dongle
  • Compatibility : ONVIF (High profile S, High profile G), RTSP/RMTP
  • Mouse Zoom: Click any area and zoom in or zoom out on the image by mouse
  • Motion Detection: Motion detection area selection, sensitivity 6 grade selection
  • Smart Video Analytics: Smart video analytics 2.0 (perimeter detection, region detection, object detection, object counting)
  • Search: By time (calendar), backup, by event,
  • IP video input: 1x 10/100Mbps Self-adaptive Ethernet Port
  • PoE ports: 8 independent PoE Ethernet RJ45 ports (10/100Mbps)
  • PoE standard: IEEE802.3af (power budget 105W)
  • Video Output: 1CH HDTV HDMI (4K UHD resolution)
  • Video compression: H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC (Main/Main 10 profile@level 5.1 high-tier), MJPEG
  • Audio Compression: Standard G.711
  • Audio Output: 1CH BNC
  • Audio Talk: Two-way intercom
  • Alarm Input: 4CH
  • Alarm Output: 1CH
  • Network: RJ45 Ethernet port(10M/100Mbps)
  • RS485: Full duplex RS485, Support 19 PTZ protocols
  • USB: 1x USB 3.0 ports, 2x USB 2.0 ports
  • E-SATA: N/A
  • SATA HDD Ports: SATA 1.0, SATA 2.0, SATA 3.0
  • Power Supply: AC/DC Power Adapter (input 100-240V AC; output 48V 2.5A)
  • Consumption: ≤20W without HDD
  • Mechanical Dimensions: 350mm*240mm*68mm
  • Weight: 1.7Kg
  • Ingress protection: None/Indoor usage
  • Protection Class: Indoor
  • Operating Temperature: -20°C to +55°C
  • Operating Humidity: 20% ~ 80% (non-condensing)
1080P Cam $38

upload_2017-9-1_11-25-55.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-1_11-24-31.png
    upload_2017-9-1_11-24-31.png
    107 KB · Views: 6
That should come in under your budget of £300 an all. Done well there mate.

Would you get 4 of them cameras or would you look for 1 or 2 different for the front. They would be great but I know you mentioned maybe getting something better maybe with a mic built in.

That should come in under your budget of £300 an all. Done well there mate.

Would you get 4 of them cameras or would you look for 1 or 2 different for the front. They would be great but I know you mentioned maybe getting something better maybe with a mic built in.

Sales guy came back to tell me all the 4K smart NVR's are not available! They recommended another model, the EN6283-POE 8CH NVR @ US $85. 8 PoE ports - 5MP/3MP/1080P network video recorder

It supports upto 5MP @ 1080p. They don;t seem to support email notification on event trigger (not mentioned in spec, not sure how I feel about that, will need to have that confirmed first). I was kinda sold on the 12MP 4K Box for the extra $16 had some extra featurs like 4 alarm inputs and two HDD bays, not that I really needed them, but better looking at them than looking for them later.

I would defo plumb for 3 of the $38 2MP 1080P cams if buying this box as they all from same vendor and would save on shipping. Still need a decent 4/5MP cam with audio as main cam.

Last edited:
Keep posting on this mate as I'm certainly interested and I'm sure it may help someone else out if they are considering a similar system.

Will update soon mate, buying this week. Just weighting all systems and cams up...have a fair idea what I am getting, will post all details soon.

@leemoo Think I'm done shopping about and researching. I spent a good bit of time looking at NVR's as I figured and good choice here would gave me room for expansion and upgrading camera's in the future. Some of the NVR's I looked at were as follows,

Hikvision DS-7108N-SN/P 8CH POE can be had for about £80 on ebay including delivery. But can't support cams over 2MP.
Hikvision DS-7608 NI-E2/8P 8CH POE ticks a lot of boxes, prices generally around the £200 mark and cheapest I could find it was £150.
Unifore EN6283-POE This really had tempted, @ £65 + £42 delivery and upto 5MP recording resolution with 8Poe ports, it promised a lot for less than £110 delivered to your door. I had concerns that it did not offer alarm notification via e mail but I was assured it did. I also had concerns about wiring money directly to the sales/factory in china and I also had concerns about not much info or reviews on the product out there. A youtube video by one of their tech guys didn't do much to for me watch it here I went off the system then, it was a trouble shooting video, but he failed in the end in my view, I was a buyer until I seen this.

In the end I plumbed for 8CH POE Dahua NVR4108-8P-4KS2 at under £140 inc delivery on aliexpress I found this to be the option for me (vendor assures me its an original multi language Dahua). Records at upto 8PM, 164.H and 165.H codec decoding, has advanced video analytics (trip wire, people counting, heat map ect and video push, FPT functions also) I figured this would satisfy my needs plus offer a bit extra should I need it in the future.

For my main cam I went for a 4MP PoE Dahua Turret style cam with Audio, IPC-HDW4431C-A can be had for £45 delivered on Aliexpress. There is a newer model of this cam that has SD slot that costs a bit more.

I am also taking a punt on 3 cams @ 2MP cams for the back of side of the house. On paper they seem to offer what I need plus a bit more, and with email and alarm functions and ONVIF support for £21 each I figure I can't go to far wrong. you can view them here,.

All in, its just under £250 delivered, orders going in this week (want cams here first). I only need to pick up a hard drive, probably a WD purple 2TB.

Really good going for the price mate. Just goes to show how much you can save with a little research and not going down the normal channels.
The unit itself looks really nice.
Great you've added all the links to the kit an all. Good work!
Just a case of getting yourself some CAT cabling now to wire them all up.

"Records at upto 8PM, 164.H and 165.H codec decoding"

Sounds like something you get in a Lucky Bag ;)

Ah right sorry mate....bit slow there :)
First thought that was your polite way of saying look for another unit lol.

Back