PlayStation breaks sales records

reggie124

Inactive User
Reaction score
PlayStation breaks sales records

PlayStation 3 went on sale in the UK last week
The PlayStation 3 console has broken UK sales records with more than 165,000 machines sold in the first two days of release, say analysts Chart Track.
More than a million consoles were shipped across Europe on launch day last week with 600,000 sold.

Sony is hoping to retake its title as the console market leader, as Microsoft and Nintendo head the next-gen race.

Meanwhile, games firm Namco Bandai has said it is to use the PS3's Cell chip in arcade machines.

Microsoft sold 71,000 Xbox 360 consoles during its UK launch weekend, while Nintendo sold 105,000 Wii machines.

But both companies offered limited stock to retailers, which led to shortages.

Ray Maguire, managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment UK said the figures were a vote of confidence in the machine.

"Having broken the record for launch sales, we are now replenishing retail stock across the country," he said,

The first arcade title to use the PS3 microprocessor will be fighting game Tekken 6, Namco said.

While PlayStation technology has been used in arcade machines in the past it is believed to be the first time that the Cell will be used for games not running on Sony's console.

Namco Bandai has sold its PlayStation 2 arcade technology to other firms, but it is still undecided about whether to sell its PS3 Cell-based technology, a spokeswoman for the firm said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6499841.stm

or you can read it on teletext page 123 on BBC

Thats what happens when they get distribution numbers correct, if MS had enough in the stores then the 360 would have done bvetter.

Thats what happens when they get distribution numbers correct, if MS had enough in the stores then the 360 would have done bvetter.

Yes but correct me if im wrong but the xbox360 was rushed out and microsoft were then fined for selling dangerous products as one of the parts were faulty and caused people to get electrocuted?

Yes but correct me if im wrong but the xbox360 was rushed out and microsoft were then fined for selling dangerous products as one of the parts were faulty and caused people to get electrocuted?

lol first ive heard of that,i

personally think ms kept stock low to create a sense of demand for it,i also think nintendo learned from this and are doing it with the wii,maybe sony should have done it too,since much is being made of the fact theres still plenty to go round and its not sold out like the wii/360 did

also the wrong time of year for a launch i reckon

lol first ive heard of that

Sorry the reason they recalled the xbox360 was because of overheating and crashing problems.

It was the xbox they had to recall 14million of because of power cord safety fears after some people got burnt and set houses on fire due to them burning the carpets.

as far as im aware there has never been a recall on any 360

and i thought the small number of xboxs that acctually were unsafe were sorted with a new p[ower lead

as far as im aware there has never been a recall on any 360

and i thought the small number of xboxs that acctually were unsafe were sorted with a new p[ower lead

14 million power cords is no small number and its quite serious when its the power cord too surely?

IM not getting at microsoft here as im quite anxious about my ps3 in some ways too. Dont like the way that you can buy a cooling fan for it? I mean WTF either it cools itself or theres something wrong.

SONY had an issue with dodgy PSU leads for the PS2, they sent me a free replacement a couple of years ago.

Some Xboxes (Manufacture date before 23rd October 2003) had a power cord issue. Replacing the power cord with the free replacement from MS resolves the issue.

I think the problem affected something like 1 in 10,000 units

Back