Plasma TV Problem

stuartnottobright

Inactive User
Reaction score
didnt npo where to put this question, but i have recently bought a 42" plasma samsung tv which i use for my pc as well as a tv. the other nite i fell asleep with it on one of the sky movie channels, once all the films had finished the picture just had a black screen with sky moves written across it. i have just noticed when i on certan colours its still there, like its burnt into the screen. i thought this took ages to happen and im really disapointed that it has happend. is this a fault with the tv or can this happen over a short period of time. would i be able to claim warrenty on it as i have only had it a couple of months

did you let the tv "run in" when you first got it?

This can happen after a very short period of time at the beginning of the plasmas life. It's recommended that you lower all the power settings, brightness settings, etc. to 'run it in' for the first several hundred hours.

Hopefully it will disappear over time and gradually fade away.

I think you may also find that screenburn is not covered by the warranty,,,,just summat i was told....check it out yerself as it was just a mate who said that was what a salesman told him before he bought his.

hasnt yours got an option to clear the screen mine has, cant remember what its called but it also checks for missing pixels, you push a button in the settings and the screen goes white and it says it can take up to 4hrs to complete, ive never had to use it but check your manual you may well have a similar option on yours.

i have got somthing similar its called signal pattern, and what it does is scroll left to right with a faded black to white image, not sure hom long im meant to leave it on for though. i was goan leave it on when i go out for a few hours and see what its like when im come back. i have emailed samsung to see what they say but i guess i wont hear anything till 2moz or monday. but thanks guys for your info.

hopefully its the same thing thats on mine, it is there for screen burn as thats what it says in the manual and for checking missing pixels, hopefully i wont need to use it ever tho as mine has something called pixel shift or something like and if and image stays on for a certain amount of time it shifts the pixels so they dont burn in (i can adjust the amount of time between shifts or turn it off, yeah right), i,ll have to check the yellow pages sized manual for the correct names of what there called as my tv has more options and buttons than a space shuttle lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
try turning it to snow ie analogue tuner with no channel tuned in and leave it over night this should help. If you have not calibrated the screnn you will probably find that the contrast & brightness is way to high that is also why it burnt in so quick. Over time it should fade on its own. One of the flaws of the technology I am afraid, is it a pioneer by an chance?

i have got somthing similar its called signal pattern, and what it does is scroll left to right with a faded black to white image, not sure hom long im meant to leave it on for though. i was goan leave it on when i go out for a few hours and see what its like when im come back. i have emailed samsung to see what they say but i guess i wont hear anything till 2moz or monday. but thanks guys for your info.

This is the Built in screen wipe and is for Image retention. try leaving your Tv on over night running this continuously. you may have to repeat this over and over for a few nights. If your Lucky it will remove the image if it is retention and not screenBurn. also tunning to a untuned anologue channel (not Digital) as suggested above (re Snow) will help to get rid of image retention. If it is screenburn mate then you may be in trouble, as for warrenty no plasma manufacturers covers it as far as Im aware.

Did you mention in your email to samsung that you had left it on overnight etc. If you didnt, DO NOT MENTION IT to anybody including where you bought it from. If its Screenburn and not Image Retention.Try for a refund stating that the TV is Not Fit for Purpose as you have only had it a short time and used it very little. Go to Trading Standards if necessary.

Good Luck Mate, Hope You get it sorted

no its a samsung, i will leave that screen on over night, i have that pixel shift thing turned on but it aint worked. thanks any way i will let you no how it is monday morning

Run in??? its not a motorbike lol

and people spend loads of money for these gadgets....the mind boggles...lol

no its a samsung, i will leave that screen on over night, i have that pixel shift thing turned on but it aint worked. thanks any way i will let you no how it is monday morning

mines adjustable so you can set it to shift within a certain time frame, check your setting as yours may be set to hours rather than mins,

hopefully after the leaving it on in the clear screen it works for you, if not do as above and try get your money back as you wouldnt want to live with it.

I read somewhere at some time that you need to set the brightness and contrast to maximum and leave it on for 24 hours.

ARe There 3 options: Pixel shift, All white & Signal pattern. If so try the all white for a while, if "signal pattern" is like Black & white dots moving all over screen try that also

that must be a right shlter of a panel you bought mate, most modern plasmas dont get screenburn, as devilfish says, the image thats there will fade away after a short while, if yours is there permanent then that sucks and sounds like the first plasma screens that were on the market about 10 years ago, summit not right there mate, if its a new telly then you have EVERY right to claim on your warranty as this is OBVIOUSLY a fault, I mean, how can you watch a screen that has a picture burnt into it, thats wrong mate, you can claim, and trading standards will back you all the way, doesnt take a rocket scientist to work that one out, UNLESS of course it says in the instructions manual "dont leave your tv on a fixed image" (which i doubt it does), please let us know how your getting on with this mate... cheers.

Back